Poor Drainage From Bathroom Sink - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-13-2015, 02:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 346

poor drainage from bathroom sink

For a month or two my bathroom sink has been draining poorly. With high water flow from the faucet, the water level will slowly creep up in the sink basin. Before I started to clean out the plumbing, I never checked to see if the sink would eventually fill up. If it did, it would have taken at least a few minutes.

Today I did the following:
1. Remove the P-trap under the sink. There was noticeable gunk but to my untrained eye still plenty of room for water flow.

2. Wipe out some gunk from the vertical drain pipe.

3. Run the sink faucet full-blast into a bucket below the drain pipe, with the P-trap off. The sink drains fine like this.

4. Spray the P-trap out with a hose until it looked clean and gunk stopped coming out.

5. Put everything back together and the run the sink faucet full-blast. The slow drainage was still present.

6. Take the P-trap back off and snake the drain path. I probably ran 10 or 15 feet of snake out and back. Lots of junk came out.

7. Put everything back together.

8. Ran hot water down the drain for 5 minutes. Until this step I had never let the water run this long. The sink slowly fills up to about halfway and stabilizes there.

9. Climbed on the roof, took the cover off the top of the vent, and looked inside. Everything appears unobstructed and dry. The vent has a 90-degree elbow about 3 feet below the roof line, so I can't see very far.

I'm at a loss as to what to do now, or what else the problem could be. Other plumbing in this bathroom and elsewhere in the house drains fine.

Last edited by JKeefe; 08-13-2015 at 02:37 PM.
JKeefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2015, 02:57 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,844

Pull the pop up sink stopper out by unscrewing the actuating rod in the tailpiece. A lot of hair gets caught around the stopper where the rod goes thru it.

It's actually the first thing I check on a slow draining sink.
Oso954 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oso954 For This Useful Post:
Ghostmaker (08-13-2015), Ron6519 (08-13-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2015, 03:01 PM   #3

The sink drains fine with the P trap off, so the drain stopper mechanism isn't the problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2015, 04:16 PM   #4

I wouldn't be so sure of that. With the P trap off you are venting the assembly from below, which does not happen in normal operation.

I would pull it. After cleaning it, I would drop the trap and look down thru the tail piece to insure nothing else was blocking the tail piece, even partially.

Then reinstall just the adjusting rod and trap. See how it drains then. If it drains well, then reinstall the stopper adjusting it for maximum lift while still getting a seal when closed.

None of that takes that long to do. Once done you can be fairly sure that your problem is beyond the trap. But I have seen the blockage and/or the stopper that has lost some of its lift over time cause a lot of slow draining sinks.

But it is your problem, so do whatever you want to.
The Following User Says Thank You to Oso954 For This Useful Post:
JKeefe (08-13-2015)
Old 08-13-2015, 07:06 PM   #5

Thanks for pointing out my faulty logic. I cleaned out the drain and all is well. Next time I'll start with the easy step.
Old 08-13-2015, 07:33 PM   #6

Sponsored Links
Advertisement