Plumbing Help - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-29-2017, 08:36 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 16

Plumbing help

I moved into my house about 6 months ago, and just recently started noticing a leak behind the wall in the basement under the kitchen drain. I cut a hole to see and there is a pipe going along the wall, and then a T pipe with a pipe sticking up in the air, with the end cut and open. When I run the water to see where it's leaking from, it's leaking from the pipe that's sticking up. Does that mean there is a clog somewhere farther down the line? The black all over the T post is flex seal, because I thought it was leaking from there at first.

https://ibb.co/m5XuXQ
https://ibb.co/nqNiRk
https://ibb.co/fCDq6k

Wilkersonj23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2017, 09:03 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 31,982

Re: Plumbing help

If you are saying the water is coming out the top of that open riser pipe then you have a clog.

That riser pipe is vent. It should be connected to the other vent lines that go up through the roof. As it is you are letting sewer gas into your house.
joed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2017, 09:05 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 16

Can I drill a hole into the concrete wall and add a elbow to have it vent outside? Or does it have to go all the way out the roof? Or can I use one of these? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0069KCZO4...a-311232934043

For a clog, I guess the only way to fix it would be to get a snake?

Last edited by Wilkersonj23; 08-29-2017 at 09:09 PM.
Wilkersonj23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2017, 09:06 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 18

It'll really depend on what's clogging it. You can dumping some baking soda followed by white vinegar down the drain first. The foaming action may loosen up some stuff. I'd try this a few times.
dereklotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 09:10 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 18

If it's more tougher stuff like hair you can try buying one of those drain snake things to help remove.
Otherwise, it's a call to the plumber.
dereklotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 10:38 AM   #6
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 1,874

Before putting in a vent (or AAV) or capping off... I guess I'd like to understand a little better what is happening here.

It may look like a hacked up previous homeowner job of either an abondoned drain line or vent.

It appears to my eye site to be 2" running into is 1.5 with a santee on it's back." ??????

In either a vent or a abondoned drain line.... you apparently have a clog somewhere in your plumbing.

Can you determine what the horizontal pipe is (or was) serving. Do you have laundry or baths (possibly remodeled) at either end of that horizontal.

Is there evidence of remodeling either in the basement or above in the kitchen.

(I say this as I do run into some strange things in plumbing when remodeling has been peviously done. Sometimes remodeling crews who remove existing plumbing don't carry plumbing caps with them and just leave abandoned drains/vents open.)

Maybe it is an abandoned drain line and can just be capped..... or a vent line that is no longer needed and can be capped... or an unvented to the exterior vent that was never completed.)

It sure looks like an interesting hack done , and I'd sure want to understand it better before taking an expensive or inexpensive action.

Either way, you must have a clog somewhere, finding that may well give us a better guess at what is, or what was , occuring with this configuration.

Last edited by MTN REMODEL LLC; 08-30-2017 at 10:42 AM.
MTN REMODEL LLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement