Plumbing - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By chandler48

Old 07-16-2017, 11:22 AM   #1

Plumbing

So I ripped out an acrylic shower after a leak and purchased a prefabricated plastic one to replace it with. The shower came with a drain kit but it will not fit into the existing drain becauae of that screw hole part. I'm not sure if I can remove the current body which is glue on there very tightly to use the plastic wedge drain or if there is a way I can just use what's there and attach it to the new shower pan. See pics. Any help would be amazing. Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Plumbing-20170712_104034_1500222013653.jpg   Plumbing-screenshot_20170714-091922_1500222070278.jpg  
Tashbobosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2017, 02:38 PM   #2
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 3,764

Re: Plumbing

I know you are stuck with what you have but make sure the existing drain pipe is 2". Pictures are deceiving sometimes, but yours doesn't look that large. If it is, then cut the ABS below the floor, install a coupling and a piece of 12" or so pipe so it sticks above the new shower pan. Once you have it all lined up, you can cut it off with an internal saw and install the new drain. Does the new drain have a rubber connector inside it, or is it a glue up? I prefer the former for old installations.

This one works similar to an old work box in electrical. You slip the unit over the pipe securely and draw it up to the subflooring using the screws.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/WingTite-...1000/204801920
MTN REMODEL LLC likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2017, 07:29 PM   #3

It's 3" for the screw body but a 2" diameter from the two screw holes. It's sinking into the floor right now but I do have clearance of a few inches above subfloor and the shower pan is quite shallow. Do I need to extend the pipe still or can I use what is in the attachment. I believe the screw body is cement glued onto the existing pipe. Also when I ripped out the older pan I had to drill through a thick black substance of some sort to ripnit out to see the piping. What was that and do I need to replace it to continue on with the new install? Btw. You're amazing. I just spent $2500 replacing my California knockdown in my open concept home and another $1500 to fix the pub, valve cap and water pipes that caused all the damage. I am tapped out and was hoping i could fo thid myself to save some cash.
Attached Thumbnails
Plumbing-screenshot_20170716-202242_1500251151904.jpg  
Tashbobosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2017, 08:44 PM   #4
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 3,764

Re: Plumbing

Access from below?? That would make it easy. Cut the ABS from below the subflooring about 5", or a couple of inches above the trap, install the new drain to the shower unit and install the missing piece of pipe with a coupling. If no access, Plan B.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement