Is Plumbers Epoxy Ok To Use For Repair Of Main Stack? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-23-2016, 04:04 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 4

Is plumbers epoxy ok to use for repair of main stack?

I have a 6-way PVC tee on the main drain/sewer stack in my home. It's a 3"x3"x3"x3"x2"x2" tee. About 8 or 9 years ago the shower drain came loose from the shower basin. When trying to glue the pipe and reattach it to the shower basin, the collar on the main stack where the other end of the shower drain was attached broke. I rebuilt the drain run to the shower and put the two part plumbers epoxy putty over the cracked collar.

Fast forward to today, I'm selling the house and want to know if that repair is acceptable. It has never leaked. The other option, I guess, is to cut out that 6-way tee and replace it. However being the main stack I think I would have to use all flex couplers, which would look worse than it does now.

So, is the plumber's epoxy repair acceptable and would it pass a home inspection? The home is in St. Peters Missouri.
tke961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2016, 05:29 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 582

Quote:
Originally Posted by tke961 View Post
I have a 6-way PVC tee on the main drain/sewer stack in my home. It's a 3"x3"x3"x3"x2"x2" tee. About 8 or 9 years ago the shower drain came loose from the shower basin. When trying to glue the pipe and reattach it to the shower basin, the collar on the main stack where the other end of the shower drain was attached broke. I rebuilt the drain run to the shower and put the two part plumbers epoxy putty over the cracked collar.

Fast forward to today, I'm selling the house and want to know if that repair is acceptable. It has never leaked. The other option, I guess, is to cut out that 6-way tee and replace it. However being the main stack I think I would have to use all flex couplers, which would look worse than it does now.

So, is the plumber's epoxy repair acceptable and would it pass a home inspection? The home is in St. Peters Missouri.
a picture is always best for us to see what you are dealing with...it would not pass ahome inspection here in my neck of the woods...but can't say that about your home inspectors there.......if they see it...and when you sell a home here you have to fill out a disclosure form explaining any known problems or conditions that exist....
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2016, 05:34 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 18,764

Picture would be a great help.
Any epoxy I've ever seen is going to stick out like a sore thumb and any inspector worth his salt or anyone with eyes is going to see it.
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2016, 05:39 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 6,652

Rebuild it. If it broke while doing the work, sounds like it was too tight to begin with.

Cut out the problem and rebuild. A collar sleeve for PVC, should work. Fernco makes a unit that is used in these types of situations. This is what it looks like. Local plumbing house should have in stock.

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Fernco-2-in...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 07:41 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,414

If it's accessible, definitely rebuild it to the extent you need to. It's PVC so it's easy, and buyers often RUN, do not walk, from homes with even a hint of plumbing problems.
Tom738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 08:48 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 114

I would definitely fix it, doing it now will save you grief later on. PVC fittings are easy to work with. If you need more help please post a picture, plumbers are very visual when it comes to work.
Chrisathome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 08:59 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 4

Here is a picture. It sounds like the answer is no - epoxy is not a permanent repair. It seems to me this would "look" better than multiple of the black Fernco couplers, but looks aren't what matters.

I'm tired of doing projects at the house and was hoping to get by without doing this one.

Last edited by tke961; 02-23-2016 at 09:07 PM.
tke961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 09:20 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,414

Quote:
Originally Posted by tke961 View Post
I'm tired of doing projects at the house and was hoping to get by without doing this one.
That's the right answer for probably at least 80% of things people think they need to fix before selling a house, but I think you probably want to fix this one. Still, you might be able to get away with just knocking more money off the sale price during negotiations if you're just sick of doing the work. Feel free to discuss with your realtor.
Tom738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 09:43 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,220

paint it white probably noone will notice unless you tell them..
WhatRnsdownhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 07:53 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 173

Just my $.02, but if I was a buyer, I might raise an eyebrow at that repair BUT if it doesn't leak I wouldn't walk away from the house over it. This is also taking into consideration that if I had to do the repair myself later on, cutting out and replacing some PVC isn't that daunting to me. Different story if that stack was cast iron.

Not telling you what to do, but most homes have issues much bigger than that. And I would hope that any competent home inspector can reassure a buyer that this isn't the end of the world.
MrBryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 03:06 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 582

so its ok to pass it on to another homeowner....seems what some are saying...the pipe was leaking at some point because expoxy was applied to it ...and that is not a professional repair at all ......the new owner my have trouble and it falls on him......listen its different if you don't know about something then it shows up...but honesty is always better....you know of a potential problem....FIX IT.......sorry...
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
epoxy , main stack , pvc , repair