Please Review My Plumbing Plan - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-19-2016, 02:14 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 523

Please review my plumbing plan

Going to move the vanity sink drain behind the wall so it doesn't interfere with drawers in new vanity. It needs to come out of the back wall near the supply lines; which will be inside the vanity cabinet. My plan is as follows:

1. Coldwater supply line - move it up a few inches from where it comes out at the right stud and past the left stud, where it is now. This will make room for the drain line to be placed bewtween the two supply lines in the wall.

2. 1.25" copper drain line - Remove the threaded coupling and add 90 degree elbow going to the back wall, then left beyond the left stud and back out of the wall. Replace threaded coupling. PVC from there.

The new vanity will clear the right wall a few inches, so the drain line outside of the wall is not an issue for me. Putting the entire drain line in the wall is beyond my skill level. Please don't suggest it.

Didn't know if there's a minimum distance required between copper pipes in the wall.

Will notch stud and add metal support/protective bracket.

Thanks.

Untitled by Larry Johnson, on Flickr
LarryJ-nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2016, 11:54 PM   #2
Plumber

Rewards Points: 172

Re: Please review my plumbing plan

Your plan with the water is fine. The drain however has a couple issues:

If it is 11/4" - you will not find that size of drainage fittings. You are stuck with 11/4" copper pipe and fittings.
Or- option 2- you will need to replace the 11/2"x 11/4" tee in the wall with a straight 1.5" plastic tee- that's doable, just a little added work. It could be angled back at a 45* angle towards the wall to start your offset. But before you do that, you need to confirm the size of the vertical pipe- it may be 11/4" also- then it's back to running 11/4" trap arm in copper.....

Also- 2 90's is not the preferred method. Use 2-45's instead.

This prolly didn't make total sense.... so I'm going to bed
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2016, 01:35 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 198

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post

If it is 11/4" - you will not find that size of drainage fittings. You are stuck with 11/4" copper pipe and fittings.
Or- option 2- you will need to replace the 11/2"x 11/4" tee in the wall with a straight 1.5" plastic tee- that's doable, just a little added work. It could be angled back at a 45* angle towards the wall to start your offset. But before you do that, you need to confirm the size of the vertical pipe- it may be 11/4" also- then it's back to running 11/4" trap arm in copper.....

If the copper drain is above the copper water line in the wall, you may consider opening up the wall enough to cut the vertical drain line (reconnect with No Hub Couplings) looks like it could be Cast Iron, cut it and turn it in the wall on a 45 and then another 45 inside the wall above the copper but I would come out of the back wall with a 45, not a 90 if you can. You are violating code, but it will work. I would also purchase a 1/4" snake for future stoppages if you don't give instructions to flush all drainage with a lot of water. Install a reliable garbage disposal and always continue to flush with a lot of water for 5 seconds after the disposal turns off.
srloren is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2016, 01:44 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 198

Quote:
Originally Posted by srloren View Post
If the copper drain is above the copper water line in the wall, you may consider opening up the wall enough to cut the vertical drain line (reconnect with No Hub Couplings) looks like it could be Cast Iron, cut it and turn it in the wall on a 45 and then another 45 inside the wall above the copper but I would come out of the back wall with a 45, not a 90 if you can. You are violating code, but it will work. I would also purchase a 1/4" snake for future stoppages if you don't give instructions to flush all drainage with a lot of water. Install a reliable garbage disposal and always continue to flush with a lot of water for 5 seconds after the disposal turns off.
Also just noticed that it appears to be a bushing in the Cast Iron Tee. Soak it with WD 40 and remove it and go with ABS. Also you may get lucky and have no hub pipe inside the wall. You will not have to cut it, just loosen the bands and turn the Tee on a 45. Good luck.

Note: if that is a leaded joint in the wall you may You may be able to peel the lead out with a sharp screw driver and turn the fitting and then pour and caulk it up again.
srloren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 08:58 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by srloren View Post
Thanks for the replies. I grew a pair last night, and this morning, decided to open up the wall where the copper comes out. Glad I did. It was just an elbow off of a cast iron drain. Removed it and went to the local plumbing supply. They set me up for conversion to 1-1/2" PVC drain. Will still have to move one supply line in the wall to make room for drain, but shouldn't be a problem.

Untitled by Larry Johnson, on Flickr
Old 07-20-2016, 10:00 AM   #6

Well, one thing I didn't realize is, even if I move the top [cold water] supply line up, it's still going to interfere with the drain line because a short piece of it will still extend out of the stud, right where the supply line needs to be. The onlt solution that I can think of is to leave the supply alone, and raise the drain line up a couple of inches. This will create an S trap, which I understand is not a good idea. Any other ideas?

Now that the wall is open, I'd like to keep theentire drain behind the wall; none outside the wall at the corner.

Last edited by LarryJ-nova; 07-20-2016 at 10:07 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement