Plastic Inside Water Heater Supply - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Myvalk99
  • 1 Post By Myvalk99

Old 06-19-2020, 05:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 6

Plastic inside water heater supply

Ok, I just installed a new water heater, and itís my first time using this new lead less solder....HATE IT !!! The last time Iíve had to solder, I used 60/40 or 50/50. This stuff is so hard to use.
Anyway, to my question, lol, is it possible to use so much heat that you melt that plastic sleeve in the pipes? Iím asking because the hot water is `low pressure in all of the fixtures. And yes, I did clean out all of the aerators in all the fixtures. And the tub spout which doesnít have one is dribbling. Could I have melted the plastic in to a blockage?
Myvalk99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2020, 06:16 PM   #2
dj3

Rewards Points: 1,790

Re: Plastic inside water heater supply

What plastic are you specifically talking about?
What exactly were you soldering - a fitting, a shut off valve?
Do you have pictures?
dj3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2020, 07:40 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 3,196

Are you talking about the plastic dip tube. Yes it can be damaged by heat. (corrections welcome). The top of my water heater has a threaded fitting which I soldered to the connecting pipe before I attached it to the heater.

Bud

And yes I also hate the lead free solder
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2020, 08:15 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj3 View Post
What plastic are you specifically talking about?
What exactly were you soldering - a fitting, a shut off valve?
Do you have pictures?
Inside The three-quarter inch nipples sticking out of the top of the water heater are white plastic inserts. I do not know what purpose they serve, but I know they have been in there for years.
Old 06-19-2020, 11:42 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 4,534

You were not supposed to solder at the water heater. You should solder the fitting to a piece of pipe, cool it down then thread it on. Every water heater I ever installed had a sticker saying that by the fittings.
Old Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 08:18 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,096

About every modern water heater has had heat traps installed. They look like galvanized nipples but have plastic parts inside them. Designed to keep the hot water from leeching up into the water lines where the heat can dissipate quickly and reduce efficiency.

You definitely never want to solder directly to them as mentioned, solder the fitting onto the pipe, then screw the fitting and pipe on the water heater. Then you make the next solder connection a safe distance away from the water heater. The heat from soldering likely ruined the traps and you'll need to replace them.

While you have the cold inlet removed you best check the dip tube, it's also plastic. The dip tube delivers the cold water to the bottom of the tank rather than allowing it to mix with the hot water at the top.
iamrfixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 09:46 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 3,628

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myvalk99 View Post
Inside The three-quarter inch nipples sticking out of the top of the water heater are white plastic inserts. I do not know what purpose they serve, but I know they have been in there for years.

They are called dialectic nipples, they have a plastic shield inside to prevent corrosion from dissimilar metals. Some may or may not have heat traps in them, i get the ones with no heat traps, just my personal preference. Pick up 2 new ones and follow others suggestions when soldering.

I also agree while you have the cold water nipple out check the dip tube for possible heat damage. Replace that as well if melted.
jmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 10:33 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmon View Post
Quote:

They are called dialectic nipples, they have a plastic shield inside to prevent corrosion from dissimilar metals. Some may or may not have heat traps in them, i get the ones with no heat traps, just my personal preference. Pick up 2 new ones and follow others suggestions when soldering.

I also agree while you have the cold water nipple out check the dip tube for possible heat damage. Replace that as well if melted.
So I can replace these ?
Attached Thumbnails
Plastic inside water heater supply-78663568-a887-480b-b8ca-4c0db6dbd783_1592667227116.png  
Old 06-20-2020, 10:38 AM   #9

And this
Attached Thumbnails
Plastic inside water heater supply-8a717e6e-7e5c-4be9-81db-87ebc39609eb_1592667507973.png  
Old 06-20-2020, 12:28 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 3,628

Quote:
So I can replace these ?

Yes. But do any pipe/fitting soldering away from nipples first, then screw them on the dielectic nipples or use the push on connect sharkbytes.

Also remember to check plastic dip tube for heat damage as well.
jmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 02:54 PM   #11

Yeah, I screwed on the copper by female adapter first then I soldered everything from there on so I’m guessing that the heat transferred.
Old 06-27-2020, 03:50 PM   #12

Latest update .....
Yes. I soldered too close to the nipples. Melted the plastic inside the nipples. Fortunately the cold water dip tube was not harmed. Lesson learned. One fitting away is not far enough away.
Enjoy the photos. Cold water first
Attached Thumbnails
Plastic inside water heater supply-d50214f5-a0ae-4ebf-a2fb-d7ab7c034402_1593290984231.jpg  
jmon likes this.
Old 06-27-2020, 03:50 PM   #13

Hot water.
Attached Thumbnails
Plastic inside water heater supply-d451deb1-1f9b-4d90-a00f-5d9bcfb8b02d_1593291041270.jpg  
jmon likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement