Planning Plumbing, Joist Troubles - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-04-2015, 06:26 PM   #1
Young Bachelor

Rewards Points: 481

Planning Plumbing, Joist troubles

I am planning my bathrooms out. I am trying to plan ahead and have drains land between two I-Joists, rather than direct over. It's quite the task.

I know I will not be able to do this with every drain between every I-Joist, so I am curious as to what methods people use when running into this problem?

I joists are a difference animal than conventional 2x12. To my knowledge, I am not permitted to cut out the I joist and box around as you would with standard 2x joists.

Another note, I will have 9' high basement walls, so I intend on running cross plumbing *under* joists rather than through. My I-Joists will be 11 7/8" thick. The basement will have a center support wall, making the joists span 15'. I am hoping my only issue will be with drains that land directly over a floor I-Joist. I am thinking of a case where my toilet is against a wall with joists parallel to the wall, which means I could not just move the toilet left or right...12" from wall would be the dead center of I Joist....technically it would have to move forward or back)
CTSNicholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2015, 06:49 PM   #2
Plumber

Rewards Points: 258

I find that on new construction the framer moves his joists to accommodate WC flanges and shower drains. This may mean adding a joist or shifting the layout. Nothing says the first joist must be 16" from the rim joist- you could start at 14" if needed.
If he doesn't then the joist gets headed based on the truss engineer's design specs.
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2015, 06:57 PM   #3
Young Bachelor

Rewards Points: 481

So you're saying if I added a couple extra I-Joists for each bathroom, doubling up the I joist will allow me to have more room for drains, yes?

The main toilet I know of is against a staircase wall (opposite of stairs) so there has to be a joist ending there to support the wall. Other option is to make the wall a thicker wall. I do notice however that i-joists have a 3" thick top and bottom pieces, making the spacing even smaller.
CTSNicholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2015, 07:14 PM   #4
Plumber

Rewards Points: 258

Have you considered giving your drawings to the I-joist supplier to do a layout and take-off? They should be able to adjust for plumbing.

I didn't mean to imply doubling joists. I meant to add one off layout to miss the toilet.
Everyone wants their joist to fall on plywood seams to avoid cutting, but in reality, you want the toilet at 12" so shift the layout to miss 12" Add a joist to maintain spacing and not exceed the designed centers.

BTW, those are some wide flanges. Seems like the ones I work around are 21/2"
Also, check with the manufacturer for drilling specs. Most of them can be drilled for mech. work. You just need to work within their design specs.
Javiles (02-04-2015)
Old 02-04-2015, 07:19 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,942

Most can be drilled once your 36 inches away from bearing wall. You cannot cut the top or bottom of the I joist.

Also be advised a lot of areas are making you drywall the basement I joist in the ceiling due to fire issues. I joist burn out very quickly.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ghostmaker For This Useful Post:
Javiles (02-04-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement