Piping Between Water-well And House - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-15-2015, 09:19 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 2,246

piping between water-well and house

Hello to all,

I had my 4th leak now in the 1960 galvanized piping from the well house to the house and it's time to make a change. The distance from the well to the house is about 35-45 ft.

The current piping is galvanized 1.75" piping to the house. I know bc I have cut and spliced it 4 times now w PVC compression fittings. When I redid the bathroom, I took out all of the old 3/4" galvanized piping and replaced it w Sch 40 CPVC & PVC. I then made a transition from the PVC t the galvanized pipe.

My main question is how does the main water line come out of the well-house? Is has to come from underneath the slab of the well-house. Once I find that, I can simply dig/follow the pipe to the house [I sure hope it does not go underneath the 250 gal propane tank.]

Was going to use Sch 40 2" for the main lines and 1" for the faucets that run around the house. believe it or not, when I cut one of these 1.75" pipes 4-5 yrs ago, the ID should be 1.5", but bc of all the trash in the pipe [iron, calcium, et el]. you would be hard pressed to get a pencil thru the pipe anywhere.

Pls let me know what questions you have and I'll be glad to answer.

Thank you in-advance for your help and advice w country wells.

Regards,
tstex
tstex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2015, 09:44 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 6,378

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstex View Post
Hello to all,

I had my 4th leak now in the 1960 galvanized piping from the well house to the house and it's time to make a change. The distance from the well to the house is about 35-45 ft.

The current piping is galvanized 1.75" piping to the house. I know bc I have cut and spliced it 4 times now w PVC compression fittings. When I redid the bathroom, I took out all of the old 3/4" galvanized piping and replaced it w Sch 40 CPVC & PVC. I then made a transition from the PVC t the galvanized pipe.

My main question is how does the main water line come out of the well-house? Is has to come from underneath the slab of the well-house. Once I find that, I can simply dig/follow the pipe to the house [I sure hope it does not go underneath the 250 gal propane tank.]

Was going to use Sch 40 2" for the main lines and 1" for the faucets that run around the house. believe it or not, when I cut one of these 1.75" pipes 4-5 yrs ago, the ID should be 1.5", but bc of all the trash in the pipe [iron, calcium, et el]. you would be hard pressed to get a pencil thru the pipe anywhere.

Pls let me know what questions you have and I'll be glad to answer.

Thank you in-advance for your help and advice w country wells.

Regards,
tstex
A metal detector or a shovel should locate the pipe just outside the well house. Shallow buried should be easy, even under the propane tank.

2" isn't necessary for that distance. 1" is plenty for the usual well pressure.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2015, 09:49 AM   #3

Thanks Senior.

The pipe is buried about 18" deep. My metal detector goes down 8", plus there's a fair ant of iron ore mixed in w soil that makes it tough to not get false readings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2015, 09:56 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 31,940

No need to follow the old pipe. Just pick the best route for the new pipe and go that way, unless you have wiring that you want to follow, but that is optional as well.
Leave the old pipe in the ground.
joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 10:08 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 6,378

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed View Post
No need to follow the old pipe. Just pick the best route for the new pipe and go that way, unless you have wiring that you want to follow, but that is optional as well.
Leave the old pipe in the ground.
In the name of future line locates please don't leave the old pipe buried. But if you must, please locate each end and flag as abandoned water line.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 02:03 PM   #6

I forgot to mention a few things:

* well pressure max's out at about 62PSI, and kicks back on around 42PSI
* I have owned the place since 94 and fixed the piping 4 times since then
* There are some sizeable trees that are now present that I am sure were not there in the late 50's. I am almost certain I would have to take another route bc I think one of the main pipe runs [that I remember from fixing 10 yrs ago] runs real close to a tree truck w a 2-2.5ft diameter.
* I always mark and document both new water routes and new undergrd electrical routes, so future owners will know where buried lines are.
* If I cannot pull up old water lines [thus now know where they go exactly from start to finish], I will quadrant off and document the areas I believe are where the water lines run to the best of my ability.
The Following User Says Thank You to tstex For This Useful Post:
SeniorSitizen (09-15-2015)
Old 09-15-2015, 05:10 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,932

Use the black plastic well pipe with the adaptors now.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 06:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostmaker View Post
Use the black plastic well pipe with the adaptors now.
Do you have a make/model or spec you would recommend for my layout?
Old 09-15-2015, 06:28 PM   #9
Plumber

Rewards Points: 248

This is standard in my region

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Advanced-...0100/202282476
Ghostmaker (09-15-2015)
Old 09-15-2015, 06:45 PM   #10
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 1,240

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
Ayuh,.... If I were lookin' at doin' the job tstex is gonna do, That's the pipe I'd be usin' too,....

1" is perfect, goin' that short distance,......
Bondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 06:55 PM   #11

Is the well a shallow well our is the pump inside the casing? You might want to replace the foot valve if its a deep well.
Old 09-17-2015, 03:56 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostmaker View Post
Is the well a shallow well our is the pump inside the casing? You might want to replace the foot valve if its a deep well.
I sure appreciate everyone's feedback and suggestions...I have seen that black pipe run around the place...it's pretty thick/tough stuff.

Ghost, the well is about 128-130ft deep and the submersible pump is in the casing from what I was told. The water table is about 115-119ft. It's very, very good, cold, clear water...the pipes are old, however and time for a change.

The orig farmer had water run to everything: chicken pens [175ft], carrier pigeons shed, 2-3 working sheds, cattle trough, shower in garage, utility shed [washer/dryer] and of course the house. I terminated the line to the ckn pens, 2 of 3 sheds & cattle trough. My main concern are the lines that go to the house. Any line that I previously terminated, I could cap that as close to the well as possible and leave the other lines alone. The problem is I have no clue how and where the main network of water lines come off the well and then branch out to all the service areas [whether terminated or not.

Here a question: If I have an old 3/4" galvanized pipe capped off that is underground, and no water is of course being actively run thru it, although it is still under pressure, can or would the pipe still form a leak? I would take me weeks to find and dig up all the old water lines.

Thank you,
tstex
Old 09-17-2015, 04:01 PM   #13

I would suggest you replace all of it to the pump itself. Galvanized will eventually fail.
Old 09-17-2015, 05:08 PM   #14
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 31,940

Capped pressurized lines underground can develop leaks. There is not really any difference between that and a pressurized line running to a building.
joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 05:20 PM   #15

It looks like I'm going to have a winter digging party. Who lives close to Columbus Tx?

Not what I wanted to hear, but what needed to hear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement