Pipe Sizing, Water Heaters And Softners? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-09-2017, 02:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 310

pipe sizing, water heaters and softners?

I just completed a whole house plumbing job all in copper. Call me crazy.

I generally passed my inspection, but .. ok.... failed in one aspect. I was very close on my fixture units but my inspector says I am undersized at my entrance / softener / water heater. Not a big deal. Not a complicated fix.

The inspector wants me to have a ONE inch pipe to my house shut off, to my softener loop and to my water heater.

QUESTION: I have never seen a one inch line to a softener or to a water heater? Do they sell one inch flex pipe to run to the water heater? or do I just run one inch solid and drop to 3/4 at the flex? IF so that seems stupid.

Also one inch to the softener seems HUGH. Do softeners handle such flows?

I hope people can stand on the topic and not get in the tullies on the over all sizing and fixture units. I hope to start with the "how to for the water heater and softener"

Thanks all.
shaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2017, 06:08 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 18,974

Re: pipe sizing, water heaters and softners?

I could see a 1" line for the main incoming line, or even a main home run line, but never heard of anyone using that big a line on a heater or softener.
It would do no harm and give you plenty of flow, just over kill.
https://s3.amazonaws.com/cdn.freshde...lication%2Fpdf
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2017, 06:14 PM   #3
Plumber

Rewards Points: 258

What you describe is not uncommon. 1" is brought to the heater, then reduced to 3/4 to feed the cw fixtures downstream. 3/4 is also fed to the heater. so, you would have a 1x3/4x3/4 tee.
Ask him for clarification or his sizing chart.
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2017, 06:46 PM   #4

Hey EPlumber: Thanks for the post. Do they sell 1 inch flex to run from my solid 1 inch pipe to the water heater and is the male connection at the heater itself one inch or 3/4" (ie downsized right at the point of entry into the tank)? Seems odd.

What about water softeners of filter systems, can they receive one inch lines? I am plumbing a loop in my utility closet so as to be able to run my incoming water through the loop prior to going to the cold and water heater. So if 1 inch is require entering the heater it would be silly if softeners or filters could only take 3/4.

Just never seen all this one inch stuff.

That said, the house is 3 and 1/2 bath. Does put the hot at 17 to 19 units depending on what chart you use or if you look at bathroom groups. Abit confusing, that is way for starters I just wanted to figure our how to do what the inspector asked. And one inch pipe makes no sense to me if it has to be necked down to the softener and before anything gets split off.

As for 1 3/4 3/4 tee. I see that as once I come off the water heater I tee to go up to a full bath and down to the remainder of the house. therefore the down line is well below 17 units at that point.
Old 09-10-2017, 07:36 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 898

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaken View Post
Hey EPlumber: Thanks for the post. Do they sell 1 inch flex to run from my solid 1 inch pipe to the water heater and is the male connection at the heater itself one inch or 3/4" (ie downsized right at the point of entry into the tank)? Seems odd.

What about water softeners of filter systems, can they receive one inch lines? I am plumbing a loop in my utility closet so as to be able to run my incoming water through the loop prior to going to the cold and water heater. So if 1 inch is require entering the heater it would be silly if softeners or filters could only take 3/4.

Just never seen all this one inch stuff.

That said, the house is 3 and 1/2 bath. Does put the hot at 17 to 19 units depending on what chart you use or if you look at bathroom groups. Abit confusing, that is way for starters I just wanted to figure our how to do what the inspector asked. And one inch pipe makes no sense to me if it has to be necked down to the softener and before anything gets split off.

As for 1 3/4 3/4 tee. I see that as once I come off the water heater I tee to go up to a full bath and down to the remainder of the house. therefore the down line is well below 17 units at that point.

This is what you need:

https://www.menards.com/main/plumbin...75879&ipos=316

1" coming in to the tee, 3/4" down to heater, 3/4" to remainder of house. This is your cold run.

You'll only need 3/4" max. piping on all your hot lines.
BIG Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 08:44 AM   #6
Plumber

Rewards Points: 258

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaken View Post

The 3/4 branch of the heater feeds your WH and the other branch feeds the house.

Again, call your inspector and verify his language. I have seen 1" hot in houses before but we also supply larger heater capacity which js also addressed in codes.
Old 09-10-2017, 09:56 AM   #7

don't need to verify the inspectors language, I know what he wants regarding solid piping. I am trying to clarify for myself two things.

1. do they sell 1" flex copper to connect to the one inch solid to go to the heater.

2. does this flex neck down at the heater itself as the male pipes on the heater are only 3/4? If the heater itself has 3/4 inch ports what sense does it make to have a 1 inch feed the tank? Just curious, the world is full of stupid and I can and will accept that if this is the case. If not stupid ok, I like to understand the dynamics. On a similar note if the input of the tank is 3/4 then what good is a 1 inch output.

3. The last thing I am trying to figure out is whether, while I am at fixing what the inspector wants, should I up size my down stream lines (those before the softener loop to 1 1/4 inch? I would do this if it helped as I have four sill cocks and a line for lawn irrigation branching off before house requirements. I would run 1 1/4, branch all outside needs, and then drop to the one inch the inspector wants for the house. Right now I have one inch branching to sill cocks (all on 3/4) and drop to 3/4 for the house. IS 1 1/4 A GOOD IDEA or JUST OVERKILL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement