PEX: Which Is Better, Cinch Or Crimp? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-16-2015, 02:37 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 22

PEX: Which is better, cinch or crimp?

The prices for each are a bit different, so is there actually a difference in effectiveness or installation effort between the two?
Greenhorn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2015, 03:33 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 18,964

Both work equal, depends on what avalible in your area.
I use the crimp because that what every box store, hardware store stocks in my area.
I bought a high dollar battery operated cinching tool only to find out no one stocks the rings for it.
mae-ling (04-16-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2015, 04:09 PM   #3
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 5,246

Wirsbo uses expansion rings, which requires a special tool to install. So that is a third system. I have been pretty happy with my Wirsbo fittings and rings, easy to install, pretty foolproof, but the tool is a bit pricey.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daniel Holzman For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (04-16-2015), dannyoung85 (04-16-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2015, 04:14 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 470

I've never used the cinch rings but have a couple that a plumber installed. No problems with them. Like Joe said about the crimp rings. The are available and the tools don't seem as expensive. You will want to consider getting the crimp ring cutter. There is a bit of a learning curve getting those crimp rings positioned properly. They will leak if they don't go on straight which you will know as soon as you turn the water back on. Then you will need to cut the old ring off and put on a new one.
Jim F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 06:55 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 582

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Holzman View Post
Wirsbo uses expansion rings, which requires a special tool to install. So that is a third system. I have been pretty happy with my Wirsbo fittings and rings, easy to install, pretty foolproof, but the tool is a bit pricey.
hey dan ..iam a wirsbo fan as well ... we use this
Attached Images

ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 08:14 PM   #6
Property Mgt/Maint

Rewards Points: 8,202

ben crimping maybe 10 yrs as that system was available first, one benifit of the cinch rings is one tool will work with all sizes of rings, but crimps generally are one tool per size.
If I ever need to replace my tools I will probably switch
ben's plumbing (04-16-2015)
Old 04-16-2015, 11:54 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,264

I second the "get the system that is available locally " option. I crimp but that is what everyone stocks here.
mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 07:29 AM   #8
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 5,246

Ben, that is a very nice expansion tool, but even more expensive than the manual tool, which is about $300 last I checked.

One small detail about crimp rings to consider. The fittings that use crimp rings are smaller than the inside diameter of the PEX, so you get friction loss at each fitting. The Wirsbo system expands the PEX to fit over their fittings, so the inside diameter of the Wirsbo fittings is the same as the inside diameter of the PEX, hence very little friction loss at each fitting. You might notice the extra losses using the crimp ring system in a long run with a lot of fittings.

The Wirsbo system requires the use of PEX-A, which is more flexible (and can tolerate expansion better) than PEX-B and PEX-C. I believe PEX-A, B or C can be used with the crimp ring system, but due to the complexities of matching the crimping system and the PEX, my suggestion is to purchase all your components from a plumbing supply store where they actually know something about the products they sell.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daniel Holzman For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (04-17-2015)
Old 04-17-2015, 06:09 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 582

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Holzman View Post
Ben, that is a very nice expansion tool, but even more expensive than the manual tool, which is about $300 last I checked.

One small detail about crimp rings to consider. The fittings that use crimp rings are smaller than the inside diameter of the PEX, so you get friction loss at each fitting. The Wirsbo system expands the PEX to fit over their fittings, so the inside diameter of the Wirsbo fittings is the same as the inside diameter of the PEX, hence very little friction loss at each fitting. You might notice the extra losses using the crimp ring system in a long run with a lot of fittings.

The Wirsbo system requires the use of PEX-A, which is more flexible (and can tolerate expansion better) than PEX-B and PEX-C. I believe PEX-A, B or C can be used with the crimp ring system, but due to the complexities of matching the crimping system and the PEX, my suggestion is to purchase all your components from a plumbing supply store where they actually know something about the products they sell.
well if you do 3/4 and 1" with the manual tool you will soon by the power expander...we are doing a 66 unit condo project I let the young pups do the manual thing..
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement