Partial Sewer Line Collapse Under Basement Floor, But Not Backup Issues - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Nealtw
  • 2 Post By COLDIRON

Old 03-01-2019, 12:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 170

Partial Sewer Line Collapse Under Basement Floor, But Not Backup Issues

I live in a Chicago bungalow built in 1919 that was a gut rehab a few years ago. I purchased after the gut rehab. Recently, I want to the have the sewer drain line rodded as preventive maintenance so to speak. There is a 30+ year locust tree in my front yard and I was concerned with roots getting into the line. A camera inspection revealed a partial collapse within the house’s footprint. The location was located with a locating probe/camera combination. I have a fully finished basement and the break ins in the “summer” kitchen we use during cookouts.

It seems there is PVC piping that connected to the old clay piping. The partial collapse is at that point, likely due to a lazy connection. My fault I didn’t have the line check before purchase..

The plumber will come back to the hours in a week to cut 4’x4’ hole to fix the break. He may also add a backflow check valve.

My question is why do I not have a drain problem? No backups, no slow drains. Everything works fine, yet I saw the break on the camera (about 17 feet from the cleanout located in my utility room). A prior plumber could not make it through to the sewer, but he did not use a camera to check for a problem. So there clearly is an issue. The recent plumber did say that he felt to sewer gas smell coming out of the cleanout was too strong, which could be indicative of all waste not making fully through the collapsed section. Again I do not have any problems.

I debated delaying the work because I have not issues. But will get it done in a week to save a headache down the road.
drelldrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2019, 01:30 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 715

Re: Partial Sewer Line Collapse Under Basement Floor, But Not Backup Issues

It takes a little bit for things to build up and cause an issue. Plus if it is truely a break it seeps out into the ground. Who did the camera job for you.
ct18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2019, 02:35 PM   #3
retired framer

Rewards Points: 16,612

I hope the plan is to run new pipe right to the out side wall of the house so any future problem will not be in the house.
georgemcq likes this.
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2019, 02:38 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ct18 View Post
It takes a little bit for things to build up and cause an issue. Plus if it is truely a break it seeps out into the ground. Who did the camera job for you.
A plumbing company in the Belmont-Craigin area near my house. I have been happy with prior work.

Last edited by drelldrell; 03-01-2019 at 02:48 PM.
Old 03-01-2019, 02:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
I hope the plan is to run new pipe right to the out side wall of the house so any future problem will not be in the house.
I will follow-up on the full scope of work. I thought it would be to replace the section that is broken only. However, does replacing the line to the to the outside wall of the house require excavation of the floor all the way to the outside of the house? I have a fully finished basement that I would like to maintain.
Old 03-01-2019, 02:55 PM   #6
retired framer

Quote:
Originally Posted by drelldrell View Post
I will follow-up on the full scope of work. I thought it would be to replace the section that is broken only. However, does replacing the line to the to the outside wall of the house require excavation of the floor all the way to the outside of the house? I have a fully finished basement that I would like to maintain.
Flip the coin

Orangeburg pipe is constructed from several layers of wood pulp and pitch. It is the shortest-lived sewer line material, with a life expectancy of 30-50 years. Clay pipes typically last between 50-60 years, while PVC pipes are expected to last 100 years before requiring replacement.Nov 1, 2016

https://www.rescuerooterportland.com...ur-sewer-line/
Old 03-01-2019, 03:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
Flip the coin

Orangeburg pipe is constructed from several layers of wood pulp and pitch. It is the shortest-lived sewer line material, with a life expectancy of 30-50 years. Clay pipes typically last between 50-60 years, while PVC pipes are expected to last 100 years before requiring replacement.Nov 1, 2016

https://www.rescuerooterportland.com...ur-sewer-line/
I am going to explore the trenchless re-pipe method.
Old 03-01-2019, 03:10 PM   #8
retired framer

Quote:
Originally Posted by drelldrell View Post
I am going to explore the trenchless re-pipe method.
My only thought with that is the size of the hole in the foundation or does it go under the footing. No other connections to it under the floor?
Old 03-02-2019, 06:46 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,042

It's best to get rid of the old pipe regardless of the finished basement. Do it complete the first time right then you can sleep well knowing the entire old pipe is gone. Once an old pipe shows signs of deterioration it shows me that the rest of the pipe is probably in poor condition. EXAMPLE: 4 tube fluorescent bulb fixture . One tube goes out you replace it and right after that another tube goes out. They all start failing around the same time. Of course it's your call . Good luck whatever you decide.
jaketrades and georgemcq like this.
Advertisement