Outside Spigot Shutoff In Townhouse - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-20-2015, 05:52 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 595

Outside spigot shutoff in townhouse

I know this is a few months too late but I can't find my shutoff valve for my outside spigot. I live in a townhouse unit with 4 other units. My unit is one of the outside units. The spigot is in the backyard and it is right up against the shared wall. My hot water heater and boiler are in the basement in the back shared corner where the spigot is. So one would think the shutoff valve would be down there. The only pipe coming from the back of the house seems to be the main water supply. There is a shutoff valve on that pipe but when I turn it off, the water in my house is off too. I figured the water was coming in from the front, splitting off to the hot water heater, boiler and spigot but it seems like it is coming from the back of the house with the shutoff valve then splitting.

Where could this shutoff valve be? My only thought is it is in my neighbors basement. I assume his place is the mirror image of mine to make it easier for plumbing so his hot water heater and boiler would be right against the shared wall where mine it. It seems like the spigot is in between the shared wall. Could my spigot go into the building and then in to his basement?

I have looked under my half bath downstairs and my kitchen sink. My washer and dryer are upstairs in my master bath so I would think they would put it there.
h22lude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2015, 07:25 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,510

Sounds like the hose bib is shared between units. I would imagine the shut for it is somewhere. I agree, check your neighbors to see if they have the shut off for it.
jmon is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2015, 07:33 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 19,008

Often times there is not shut off due to the added cost, makes no since just the way it is.
Many times I've had to shut off the main to do a simple replacement.
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2015, 07:39 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 3,510

Do you know the name of the builder or other town houses built by the same builder? If so, check with other neighbors ask them where the shut off valve is.

Maybe your local water company may know. Just a couple more suggestions.

Are you in a cold climate? If so, I see your concern. It's brutal out there right now and pipes are freezing in record numbers all over the country. Always good to know where those shuts off are.

Others will be along with more suggestions/advice. Hope you find it soon.
jmon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 08:09 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,952

Look under the kitchen sink or the nearest bathroom sink.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 08:13 PM   #6
Plumber

Rewards Points: 302

Did you look at the joists? It might be in the rim joist of the basement ceiling.
Chances are good that you just don't have one. We don't install them in my parts- haven't for years since the frost-frees came out
Old 02-20-2015, 08:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmon View Post
Sounds like the hose bib is shared between units. I would imagine the shut for it is somewhere. I agree, check your neighbors to see if they have the shut off for it.
I think at this point the only place it can be is in my neighbors basement. I tried to turn the spigot on and nothing came out. I had a friend in the basement that was going to turn that shutoff valve off to test if it was for the spigot. Nothing coming out can either mean he shut it off (which would be great) or it is frozen which is most likely what happened. As long as no pipes are split.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Often times there is not shut off due to the added cost, makes no since just the way it is.
I have heard a few people say this and I agree, it doesn't make sense it there is no shutoff. I would still be curious as to where the pipe was. The only pipe coming from the back of my house is what seems to be the main water line. I would have thought I would at least have the pipe coming in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmon View Post
Do you know the name of the builder or other town houses built by the same builder? If so, check with other neighbors ask them where the shut off valve is.

Maybe your local water company may know. Just a couple more suggestions.

Are you in a cold climate? If so, I see your concern. It's brutal out there right now and pipes are freezing in record numbers all over the country. Always good to know where those shuts off are.

Others will be along with more suggestions/advice. Hope you find it soon.
I don't know the builder. I live in a community. I would say about 30 townhouse buildings. I will have to ask my neighbor tomorrow. I did have the general contractor that works on all the buildings look in my basement and he didn't have a clue as to why there wasn't a shutoff.

The guy across the street from me is on the board and deals a lot with the association so I may talk to him.

I am in a cold climate. Rhode Island. It is probably less than 10 right now. I probably should have looked into this earlier but I honestly completely forgot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostmaker View Post
Look under the kitchen sink or the nearest bathroom sink.
I looked under the closest bathroom sink and my kitchen sink. There is nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
Did you look at the joists? It might be in the rim joist of the basement ceiling.
Chances are good that you just don't have one. We don't install them in my parts- haven't for years since the frost-frees came out
I looked everywhere. Floor, ceiling, removed drop ceiling in spots that have it. If my neighbor doesn't have it, it is looking more and more like there isn't one. It is just weird because this unit was built in 1987 which I believe was before the frost free spigots were out. Being in a cold climate area I would think they would install them.

Last edited by h22lude; 02-20-2015 at 08:18 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to h22lude For This Useful Post:
jmon (02-20-2015)
Old 02-20-2015, 11:14 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,300

Quote:
Originally Posted by h22lude View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post

I have heard a few people say this and I agree, it doesn't make sense it there is no shutoff. I would still be curious as to where the pipe was. The only pipe coming from the back of my house is what seems to be the main water line. I would have thought I would at least have the pipe coming in.
I can't think of a house I have ever lived in that had a valve to kill the sill cock. Completely normal that you have to shutdown the entire structure
Anti-wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 11:36 PM   #9
FIDO...

Rewards Points: 325

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti-wingnut View Post
I can't think of a house I have ever lived in that had a valve to kill the sill cock. Completely normal that you have to shutdown the entire structure
If you live somewhere it never freezes, I would imagine this is true.

For those of us in who live in areas where it regularly freezes in the winter, having a shutoff specifically for winterizing the outdoor spigot is the norm.

Now that frost-free sillcocks are getting to be more common, the shutoff is no longer necessary, but you'll still find them more often than not up here.

Cheers, Chris
Chris130 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 06:43 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti-wingnut View Post
As Chris130 stated, in areas where it gets cold enough to freeze, a shutoff valve is almost needed. Without it the pipe could burst and then leak all over your basement. Not a good thing to happen.
Old 02-21-2015, 10:53 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 578

I owned a townhouse, built 1989, florida and the only way to shut off water was near the road at the meter.
Startingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 12:28 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 808

Quote:
Originally Posted by h22lude View Post
I know this is a few months too late but I can't find my shutoff valve for my outside spigot. I live in a townhouse unit with 4 other units. My unit is one of the outside units. The spigot is in the backyard and it is right up against the shared wall.
In a townhouse development the outdoor spigots and automatic sprinklers are probably on a separate system and shutoff by management when winter approaches. If it were up to the residents you would probably have been notified.

Quote:
Could my spigot go into the building and then in to his basement?
IslandGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 02:41 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandGuy View Post
In a townhouse development the outdoor spigots and automatic sprinklers are probably on a separate system and shutoff by management when winter approaches. If it were up to the residents you would probably have been notified.
Bringing this back.

We actually did get an email reminding every to turn it off. I definitely don't have the shutoff. I had a buddy from work come over and help me look at it. The spigot is in my backyard but the way it is lined up, it is in my neighbors basement. I was hearing dripping water in the back corner of my basement. At first I thought it was the pipe but it is most likely just water finding its way under the flooring. It is much at all. Dripping every few seconds. I was able to turn the spigot on and it ran freely so if there was a leak, I would know. Now the question is, does my neighbor have a leak.

I guess if he had a leak, it could be coming over to my side a little.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement