One-piece Toilet Bowl Leaks At Floor - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes

Old 02-02-2018, 04:27 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 16
Question

one-piece toilet bowl leaks at floor

Went to my cousin's to see if I could fix the leak. The only reason I know of for a bowl to leak is a deteriorated wax seal, but a plumber came once and said that a part under the bowl?? was shot and NLA. He found one on eBay and stopped the leak. Now it is leaking again and I have no clue what "part" could be under the bowl. No brand on the thing. About 50 years old. Color matched to the rest of the room so I would like to help her. Hesitate to pull it until I know more. Any idea what part is involved? Thx
dixieflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2018, 04:33 PM   #2
Guapo

Rewards Points: 11,950

Re: one-piece toilet bowl leaks at floor

We need a little more info.
Is it a first floor toilet?
Is there a cellar or a floor below?
Where do you see the water?
What year was the house built?
Guap0_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2018, 04:44 PM   #3
Peace be with you

Rewards Points: 1,860

will need pictures to truly help but
sounds like plumber replaced part(s) in tank...
does toilet move, slide, twist, or rock?
if not, need to eliminate all other potential leak points
first as water leaks run down hill & will present at floor

Peace
My comments towards your questions & concerns are based on my work history, knowledge, & past experiences; they are my opinions given freely in hopes they truly help/bless U. That said, if U don't consult with & or hire a licensed professional locally, then please don't blame me when You DIY... Bottom line - Safety 1st & Always; got that???
DR P is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2018, 04:46 PM   #4

It is on second floor, so, yes, a floor below. It is not an up-flusher, or whatever.
Water seeps between bottom flange and wooden floor.
Probably a 1970 unit. Beats me!
Thx
Old 02-02-2018, 04:52 PM   #5

Looks like a typical one-piece toilet, like 3 I have in a condo that just sit on one or two wax rings. Obviously simply replacing the wax is not the answer, as the professional said a part was shot. Problem is not the tank valve - water is standing in the tank, bowl is dry, water valve is closed. Toilet is firm to the floor, no movement. If it were mine I would just uproot it and see what was the problem, but it isn't mine. Beats me. Thx
Old 02-02-2018, 05:03 PM   #6
Peace be with you

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixieflash View Post
Looks like a typical one-piece toilet, like 3 I have in a condo that just sit on one or two wax rings. Obviously simply replacing the wax is not the answer, as the professional said a part was shot. Problem is not the tank valve - water is standing in the tank, bowl is dry, water valve is closed. Toilet is firm to the floor, no movement. If it were mine I would just uproot it and see what was the problem, but it isn't mine. Beats me. Thx
are you saying there is a water leak with water supply valve closed?
But yet bowl is dry/void of water; while tank is still full?
Are you certain water flow is stopped by closed supply valve?

part installed by Plumber could still be good and another problem exists...
or are you saying the `same` part has been verified bad again ?

Edit: have you tried opening supply valve to see what happens & where?

Peace
My comments towards your questions & concerns are based on my work history, knowledge, & past experiences; they are my opinions given freely in hopes they truly help/bless U. That said, if U don't consult with & or hire a licensed professional locally, then please don't blame me when You DIY... Bottom line - Safety 1st & Always; got that???

Last edited by DR P; 02-02-2018 at 05:05 PM.
Old 02-02-2018, 05:19 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 31,914

If the toilet is not cracked the only place a one piece can leak is the wax seal or the water supply connection.
A two piece has a gasket between the tank and bowl, but you said one piece so that can't be a problem.
MTN REMODEL LLC likes this.
joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 05:29 PM   #8
Guapo

Dixie, here's what you do. Take a rag & dry the entire toilet no matter if you think it's wet or not, bottom to top. Then when you see water, look for the highest wet spot. That will tell you where the leak is. Let us know what you find.
Old 02-02-2018, 05:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed View Post
If the toilet is not cracked the only place a one piece can leak is the wax seal or the water supply connection.
A two piece has a gasket between the tank and bowl, but you said one piece so that can't be a problem.
Water supply has been shut off for 4 months. Water has been standing in the TANK for 4 months. She didn't want to add more water to mop up, so did not flush after the leak from the very bottom of the unit. The bowl is empty and dry and has been for 4 months. The floor is dry and has been for 4 months. Has not be used in 4 months. I don't want to water test it without knowing what "part" is required. I am satisfied that it will leak and ruin everything again.

There are no cracks in the bowl - the plumber checked that when he replaced the "mystery" part. Like you fellows I have done my share of plumbing and have never seen a toilet that required more than a wax seal and hold-down bolts. Will post a picture soon.

Last resort will be to uproot it, determine the problem, fix or replace, but I sure would like to know what I'm getting into before I get into it!.

Thx, all.
Old 02-02-2018, 06:16 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,928

I would just replace it new toilets are not that expensive. Besides you will also save water with a new toilet. So why beat a dead horse and resurrect the old one?
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 08:29 PM   #11
Peace be with you

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixieflash View Post
Water supply has been shut off for 4 months. Water has been standing in the TANK for 4 months. She didn't want to add more water to mop up, so did not flush after the leak from the very bottom of the unit. The bowl is empty and dry and has been for 4 months. The floor is dry and has been for 4 months. Has not be used in 4 months. I don't want to water test it without knowing what "part" is required. I am satisfied that it will leak and ruin everything again.

There are no cracks in the bowl - the plumber checked that when he replaced the "mystery" part. Like you fellows I have done my share of plumbing and have never seen a toilet that required more than a wax seal and hold-down bolts. Will post a picture soon.

Last resort will be to uproot it, determine the problem, fix or replace, but I sure would like to know what I'm getting into before I get into it!.

Thx, all.
before I took that old heavy 1-piece up, I'd pour a gallon of water
into bowl to see if it drains/leaks out indicating internal leak...
if water stays up and doesn't leak out, then auger out through bowl past closet bend...
those old 1-piece toilets bad to clog with age from poor flushing performance...
of course it could even be a fresh water leak from 50 yr old packing seals...
may never know until water is turned on & toilet put through paces
just saying -

Peace
Old 02-03-2018, 04:58 AM   #12
Guapo

You will never find the leak if the valve is off. Either open it or replace the toilet.
MTN REMODEL LLC likes this.
Old 02-03-2018, 10:46 AM   #13
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 1,832

No real help here.... but I've replaced alot of old toilets, and have no idea either of any part apart from a wax ring or new toilet flange.

Maybe the plumber was just generically refering to the lady a "new part" rather than saying a new or extra wax ring.... or toilet flange.????
Old 02-03-2018, 10:59 AM   #14

I know - they are cheap compared to the cost of water damage, etc, but it is color-matched to the tile and probably will be difficult to find a good color match. Latest is that this toilet was installed in the fifties which makes it a real antique! Hope the pics show.
Thx, all.
Attached Thumbnails
one-piece toilet bowl leaks at floor-john.jpg   one-piece toilet bowl leaks at floor-tank-numbers.jpg  
Old 02-03-2018, 12:57 PM   #15
Peace be with you

Looks like American standard tilt flush but would need to see inside to confirm... Is the overflow tube in center with flush disc or over by flush lever?

To glaze the insde passageway & trap there was a hole underneath for access and was sealed during glaze process. Toilets of that era are bad to have glazing access hole "seal" rot with time. That or wax seal has gone bad & or drain was/is clogged to allow fluid backup/leak @ seal.

That big boy is heavy... You should get help to transport once off flange. Will need to inspect bottom underneath for rotten glazing for sure.

I'd stil run a fair amount of water in through bowl to eliminate a clog in line before I took up. This will help you diagnose also if it's the seal, glazing or external water leak.

I still know of a house with 3 of these from 40's. Use to be 4 but ... Go figure.

What are the last 2 #'s in the 2nd picture?

Peace
Sponsored Links
Advertisement