Old Work Not Up To Code - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-29-2016, 10:07 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 98

Old Work not up to Code

We will be redoing the kitchen. As a result an old galvanized pipe for the drain in the floor below needs to go (the pipe has a hole that someone patched). The galvanized starts at a cast iron Y and goes up to the floor above where the kitchen is. The split end of the Y must have been the cleanout. A previous owner or contractor had the smart idea of putting a bar in the same area and the sink of that bar connects into that end of the Y. That sink is pump assisted and the pipe is 3/4 copper going into that 2 inch Y. The sink was abandoned before we bought the house and we have no plans to put it back in service, but the pipes are still in place. An inspector viewing the galvanized pipe replacement will definitely see the improper connection. Shall I expect them to make me do something about that connection and abandoned sink now? If yes, would a simple disconnect and turning the Y back into cleanout suffice or will I need to remove all pipe connecting to that sink and the pump itself?

I do not have the money to redo the area with the abandoned sink now, but I am handy enough to do certain things myself and I will go as far as pull permits for electrical and plumbing work myself and do them myself as long as I have sufficient free time on my hands which is rare. The kitchen needs to be out of service for no more than 8 weeks, so I am getting others to do the work related to it.
epsilono is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2016, 06:42 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 145

Re: Old Work not up to Code

Can you pull electrical and plumbing permits? In my state it has to be done by a licensed electrician or plumber.
kjmass1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2016, 09:01 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 18,768

Post a picture.
The best plan most often would be to get rid of all that old steel pipe and replace with PVC.
At some point it's all going to leak and get smaller on the inside anyway.
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2016, 09:40 AM   #4
Plumber

Rewards Points: 164

Quote:
Originally Posted by epsilono View Post
We will be redoing the kitchen. As a result an old galvanized pipe for the drain in the floor below needs to go (the pipe has a hole that someone patched). The galvanized starts at a cast iron Y and goes up to the floor above where the kitchen is. The split end of the Y must have been the cleanout. A previous owner or contractor had the smart idea of putting a bar in the same area and the sink of that bar connects into that end of the Y. That sink is pump assisted and the pipe is 3/4 copper going into that 2 inch Y. The sink was abandoned before we bought the house and we have no plans to put it back in service, but the pipes are still in place. An inspector viewing the galvanized pipe replacement will definitely see the improper connection. Shall I expect them to make me do something about that connection and abandoned sink now? If yes, would a simple disconnect and turning the Y back into cleanout suffice or will I need to remove all pipe connecting to that sink and the pump itself?

I do not have the money to redo the area with the abandoned sink now, but I am handy enough to do certain things myself and I will go as far as pull permits for electrical and plumbing work myself and do them myself as long as I have sufficient free time on my hands which is rare. The kitchen needs to be out of service for no more than 8 weeks, so I am getting others to do the work related to it.
Rebuild the clean out- it is needed to meet code. Also, remove all the associated piping to the abandoned sink. I can't say what your inspector will say, but it is good practice to remove abandoned work.
epsilono (05-05-2016)
Old 05-01-2016, 06:05 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,414
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjmass1 View Post
Can you pull electrical and plumbing permits? In my state it has to be done by a licensed electrician or plumber.
What state are you in? Because I never want to buy a house there.
Tom738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 06:08 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom738 View Post
What state are you in? Because I never want to buy a house there.

Massachusetts.

So a homeowner could pull a permit to DIY a rewire of a home, upgrade service, etc? Now that is insane.
kjmass1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kjmass1 For This Useful Post:
rjniles (05-01-2016), Tom738 (05-01-2016)
Old 05-01-2016, 08:56 AM   #7
Plumber

Rewards Points: 164

Quote:
Massachusetts.

So a homeowner could pull a permit to DIY a rewire of a home, upgrade service, etc? Now that is insane.
You mean your state is so restrictive that you can't pull permits?
Old 05-01-2016, 09:28 AM   #8
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 796

Quote:
Massachusetts.

Mass. must have changed the laws. I build a cottage in Western Mass. back in the late 70s and did all the plumbing and electrical. It was permitted and inspected.
You may be talking about local amendments vs state wide rules.

rjniles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rjniles For This Useful Post:
TheEplumber (05-01-2016), Tom738 (05-01-2016)
Old 05-02-2016, 04:45 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 98

I am NJ. Apologies for not mentioning that earlier. Here I am allowed to pull permits for work on my own house. At least for now.

I do not have a problem with having my work inspected or even being told that I did not do something correctly, but the costs are just way out there for me to be able to afford having someone else do all that stuff for me. I hate to say it, but once I was charged $400 to have a leaky old metal P-trap changed. I changed an even worse P-trap for cost of materials ($24) later. I might have taken more time than the professional (I took about 3 hour including the trip to the store), but I just do not have that type of money lying around to spend on these things. And yes, I actually read a lot of plumbing related stuff before I did it and I am sure it is up to code and up to par in terms of workmanship.
epsilono is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to epsilono For This Useful Post:
Tom738 (05-02-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement