Old Valves...can I / Should I Turn Them?? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By jmon
  • 1 Post By surferdude2
  • 2 Post By ktownskier

Old 12-03-2019, 04:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 506
Question

old valves...can i / should i turn them??

first photo is a shutoff valve (on the left) from the street; pvc (?) to pipe into the house. likely 22 yrs old and i'd suspect has never been used. (the valve on the right is closed and goes to the house but nothing on the other side).

thoughts on trying to close & open it - to make sure it works...to make it work or should i just call it a day and replace it? can i break it if i try to force it closed or can it get stuck part way or closed? (that would be a real drag).

2nd photo is inside the house. red handle is inside shutoff valve - same questions as well. 3rd photo is inside the house, yellow handle is closed and the end of the pipe has a threaded fitting for a hose - to drain the house. wisely it's been wired shut and i put a cap on the fitting.

thanks!

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
old valves...can i / should i turn them??-img_1650.jpg   old valves...can i / should i turn them??-img_1653.jpg   old valves...can i / should i turn them??-img_1654.jpg  
UltraRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2019, 07:10 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,584

Re: old valves...can i / should i turn them??

With some penetrating oil like pb blaster etc they can be exercised if you wish.

Imo, I don't see any leaks and you have good water pressure, I would leave them alone. Why go looking for trouble. Just my opinion.
jmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2019, 07:14 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,584

Additionally, if that is from the street (curb valve) as you say, that is not yours. That is the municipalities. So if there is ever any trouble with that valve, they will take care of it. At least that is how it is in my municipality. Check with yours first to find out.

Just leave it alone.
Dave Sal likes this.
jmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2019, 07:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmon View Post
Additionally, if that is from the street (curb valve) as you say, that is not yours. That is the municipalities. So if there is ever any trouble with that valve, they will take care of it. At least that is how it is in my municipality. Check with yours first to find out.

Just leave it alone.
street valve belongs to the HOA, we are on a community well. the one in the picture belongs to me.
Old 12-06-2019, 06:18 PM   #5
Commercial. Const. ret.

Rewards Points: 2,112

Ball valve are pretty tough and long lived but even so, I never kick a sleeping dog. At the very least, you'll release a bunch of accumulated deposits into the line and they may end up stopping up something in your house that will cause you more work.

Aerators, ballcocks, shower heads and ice maker are some of the devices that may not be able to digest that crud. No fun taking them apart for cleaning.
bob22 likes this.
UltraRed (12-07-2019)
Old 12-07-2019, 12:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferdude2 View Post
Ball valve are pretty tough and long lived but even so, I never kick a sleeping dog. At the very least, you'll release a bunch of accumulated deposits into the line and they may end up stopping up something in your house that will cause you more work.

Aerators, ballcocks, shower heads and ice maker are some of the devices that may not be able to digest that crud. No fun taking them apart for cleaning.
good points surfer..thanks.
Old 12-07-2019, 05:46 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 830

As @surferdude2 stated, any other valve than a ball valve, is prone to failure. Ball Valves are much more durable.

One of the worst valves IMHO is the gate valve. Because part of the mechanism that closes and opens it is immersed in water, it has a tendency to either rust completely through or be weakened enough so that it breaks when you need it most.

When ever possible, I change over every valve in my the house to a ball valve. This includes shut off valves to fixtures and sill cocks. If it says they are multi-turn it is not a ball type valve If it says quarter turn, it is.

Also, look for full-bore or full stream valves. That means the ball portion of the valve is the same size as the pipe it will be attached to.
CodeMatters and UltraRed like this.

ktownskier is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ktownskier For This Useful Post:
UltraRed (12-08-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement