Noritz Tankless No Hot Water After Descaling - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-08-2015, 08:21 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 2,264

Noritz tankless no hot water after descaling

I descaled it and took out cleaned and reinstalled the filter on the cold inlet. now i get no hot water it just runs cold. Tank, water and gas is on. Temp is set to 50c. If i remember correct the red light on the unit ised to be on steady. Now it does not come on. I can not remember exact. It may have just come on when it was running.

Last edited by mae-ling; 12-08-2015 at 08:41 AM.
mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2015, 03:06 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,950

Did you turn on the electric?
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2015, 03:36 PM   #3

Yes. Because i would not see the digital temp read out if i did not.
Would be great ifthat easy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2015, 03:42 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 524

Any chance you knocked a wire loose from the main board while doing what you did? Or another silly thought.... if it's a gas W/H.... did you turn the gas back on???

Sorry, that's all I can think of.

Oops, sorry I re read the OP and it says the gas is on. My bad....

Last edited by CompleteW&D; 12-08-2015 at 04:06 PM.
CompleteW&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 03:55 PM   #5
Plumber

I would say call the noritz technician the heater should be flashing a code and that code will tell you what the problem is. I also found a link to the noritz support site for interpreting codes http://support.noritz.com/article/fa...ontrol-36.html
Mike Beach is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike Beach For This Useful Post:
CompleteW&D (12-08-2015), mae-ling (12-08-2015)
Old 12-08-2015, 05:58 PM   #6

I called notitz tech support. He had me do a few things. He says it is the flow sensor.
Is there a way to test this or bypass it so if it then works it is the flow sensor.
Old 12-09-2015, 07:48 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,336

Quote:
Originally Posted by mae-ling View Post
I called notitz tech support. He had me do a few things. He says it is the flow sensor.
Is there a way to test this or bypass it so if it then works it is the flow sensor.
Doubtfull. The flow sensor needs to be working to detect water flow in the system. This is what tells the unit to heat the water and to shut off when it is not flowing. Replace the sensor as the descaling probably damaged it. I would keep a spare on hand too.
danpik is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danpik For This Useful Post:
joecaption (12-09-2015), mae-ling (12-09-2015)
Old 12-09-2015, 08:34 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 781

Sorry you have no HW. This is one of many reasons why i hate tankless. I put one in for mom and dad years ago when the rebates were a good incentive but had nothing but trouble. This past summer was 10 days down waiting on warranty part to arrive. They have had condensate issues, back drafting issues and i believe the last one was like yours with he flow sensor.

I will be ripping it out the next time it goes down and put in a power vent like i wanted to do originally.
ct18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ct18 For This Useful Post:
mae-ling (12-09-2015)
Old 12-09-2015, 11:35 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ct18 View Post
Sorry you have no HW. This is one of many reasons why i hate tankless. I put one in for mom and dad years ago when the rebates were a good incentive but had nothing but trouble. This past summer was 10 days down waiting on warranty part to arrive. They have had condensate issues, back drafting issues and i believe the last one was like yours with he flow sensor.

I will be ripping it out the next time it goes down and put in a power vent like i wanted to do originally.
WOW.... I must be lucky. My Takagi TK-2 was installed in 2002. I never had a SINGLE issue with it until the main board went belly up early this year. Not one issue. Needles to say, I replaced it with another TK-2.
Old 12-09-2015, 12:43 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 781

I have never installed a Takagi so not sure of there track record but sounds like they are working good for you. I have installed the following, Rinnai, Navian and Noritz and have had issues with all of them. We have the had calls for the dreaded hot water sandwich, flow sensors, exhausting issues, boards, and burners. I only did service for a year and a half so i have only installed maybe 20 total. I prefer to go power vent unless space is a issue or a large tub needs to be filled.
ct18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 02:21 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ct18 View Post
I have never installed a Takagi so not sure of there track record but sounds like they are working good for you. I have installed the following, Rinnai, Navian and Noritz and have had issues with all of them. We have the had calls for the dreaded hot water sandwich, flow sensors, exhausting issues, boards, and burners. I only did service for a year and a half so i have only installed maybe 20 total. I prefer to go power vent unless space is a issue or a large tub needs to be filled.
I did a ton of research on them back in early 2001. It was hard to find a lot of info because they really weren't in vogue yet here in the US or Canada. In fact, the guys on the service counter at the wholesale plumbing supply house that my Mom retired from called me absolutely BS crazy for even thinking tankless.

They wanted me to install another commercial grade AO Smith that I was replacing. That 30 gal tank had lasted for 14 years at that point, but I wanted to enlarge my return air drop on my furnace to accommodate a high efficiency filter and I needed the room.

Anyway, I found that back in 2001 when doing my research, that Takagi had been doing tankless in Japan for over 50 years and were very highly regarded. So in the end, that's the direction I went. It's worked out very well for me anyway....
Old 12-20-2015, 03:52 PM   #12

received the flow sensor in about a week. From the USA and I am in Canada. easy to install. all is good now.
Thanks everyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement