None Of My Sinks Have Vents...what Do I Do? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-16-2015, 07:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 207

None of my sinks have vents...what do I do?

I installed a new faucet and the drain that came with it had overflow holes. However, the drain was made of cheap plastic and kept leaking. I've since learned that it was leaking not because of the overflow holes, but because the threads were stripped and it wouldnt tighten up adequately. Anyway, I bought a new metal drain and since none of our sinks have overflow holes I figured I'd get one without overflow holes just to make extra sure it didnt leak and that worked. However, now, if I fill the sink up and let it drain, it makes suction noises, whereas previously it did not.

I'm assuming that because the overflow holes in the old drain acted as kind of a vent and let some air through I never had this problem before. I guess I can remove the new drain without overflow holes and put in an identical one with overflow holes but I'm not sure that'll totally address the problem (if there even is one)

I've previously opened up the walls between two bathrooms upstairs while renovating and saw a long PVC pipe which I'm assuming is a vent stack (pretty sure there's one in between the walls of each bathroom). So where does this leave me? Are the vents in between the walls sufficient or do I need to add an additional vent on each sink? Thanks!

Last edited by amateurplumber; 08-16-2015 at 07:46 PM.
amateurplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2015, 07:45 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 116

Please post a couple pictures of your project so the plumbers can better assist you. Thanks.
jmon is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2015, 03:33 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by amateurplumber View Post
now, if I fill the sink up and let it drain, it makes suction noises, whereas previously it did not.

So where does this leave me?
It leaves you with properly installed drains that are draining so fast they are making suction sounds. Congratulate yourself, sit down and have a beer.
SHR Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2015, 03:39 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by amateurplumber View Post
now, if I fill the sink up and let it drain, it makes suction noises, whereas previously it did not.

So where does this leave me?
It leaves you with properly installed drains that are draining so fast they are making suction sounds. Congratulate yourself, sit down and have a beer.
Old 08-17-2015, 01:32 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 744

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHR Plumber View Post
....and possibly pulling all of the water out of the trap....
Seattle2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 01:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle2k View Post
....and possibly pulling all of the water out of the trap....
"Seattle2k" You forgot to read OP's original post. OP has vent stack in wall. Drains are already vented so no trap siphonage.
Old 08-17-2015, 02:10 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 80

With suction sounds in a bathroom sink, I would check the adjustment of the pop up stopper. Sounds like it might be restricting the water flow. Try adjusting for max lift while still maintaining a seal when closed.
Oso954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 04:10 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 744

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHR Plumber View Post
"Seattle2k" You forgot to read OP's original post. OP has vent stack in wall. Drains are already vented so no trap siphonage.
I did read it, but it's a bit confusing. Title is "none of my sinks have vents". But then, mentions there's possibly a vent stack in the wall. I don't see anything stating the vent stack is tied into the sink drains.
Seattle2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 04:16 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 207

I guess I'm just wondering why i hear the suction w/ the drain that has no overflow holes and I dont with the drains that have overflow holes (even though none of my sinks have overflows). Must break up the water flow or something. I never hear the sound during normal operation, only when I fill the sink and then let it all drain out, which i rarely do.
amateurplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement