No Water From Second Floor Shower - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-01-2016, 01:24 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

No water from second floor shower

Good afternoon everyone,

I just purchased my first home and have hit a few snags. The home was a foreclosure and sat vacant for quite some time. The home has 2.5 bathrooms. We have great water pressure throughout the home but have zero water flowing to the shower/tub on the second floor. I took the tub faucet off and the water line looks clear 3-4 inches but I haven't checked any further.

Their was a good amount of debris that came out of the other faucets. The home has copper pipe and the shower has a 2 valve Moen setup with a diverter for the shower.

How can I verify that the water line is plugged? Is it possible to use a drain auger to try clearing it? Should I take the valves out of the handles and see if they're plugged there?

I've read up on backflowing the line with water or air but not sure how to proceed.

Thanks in advance,
MRpeabody is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2016, 04:40 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,852

Re: No water from second floor shower

Look for screw driver shut offs on the shower valve behind the trim plate. Do you have hot and cold to the lavatory sink? Toilet?

You most likely have a jammed pressure balanced cartridge if its a single handle tub valve.

If you have no water to the second floor go to the basement and look for shutoff valves on the water lines to the second floor.

Copper water lines will not normally plug. Never seen that in 28 years plumbing.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2016, 04:58 PM   #3

It's a dual valve setup. I flushed the water heater again. Had some water coming through the tub faucet but now just a trickle on both hot and cold. Lavatory sink has pressure on both hot and cold and the toilet fills.
Attached Thumbnails
No water from second floor shower-1464818277280_1464818315863.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2016, 05:04 PM   #4

I've looked in the basement and couldn't find any extra on/off valves, except one on a hot line. Tried it both ways and no change
Old 06-01-2016, 07:12 PM   #5
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

Re: No water from second floor shower

Boy, those are oldies-----I suggest you remove the valve stems and flush out the valve body----

Shut off the water to the house---remove the handle--cap nut ---then the valve stem--

Have someone turn on the water for a moment to blow out any sediment--then quickly shut off the water again---

with the valve stems removed--water should blast out---if not---somewhere there are shut off valves for the hot and cold shower pipes--
Old 06-02-2016, 01:02 PM   #6

Thabks for the replies guys. I just saw your response Mike. I took the valves out last night and hit the water. PROBLEM SOLVED. must have been a nasty bit of sediment. I had only a trickle of water before and now have amazing pressure.
The Following User Says Thank You to MRpeabody For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (06-05-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement