Ng Hot Water Heater - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-20-2016, 01:29 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2

ng hot water heater

i have a bradford white defender hot water heater 40g when i light the pilot light sometimes it will go right back out when i let go of the valve and sometimes it will stay on so when it stays on i try to set temp and when it gets to the spot for the burner to ignite the pilot goes out. any suggestions?
jrcat3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2016, 06:52 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 198

Re: ng hot water heater

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrcat3 View Post
i have a bradford white defender hot water heater 40g when i light the pilot light sometimes it will go right back out when i let go of the valve and sometimes it will stay on so when it stays on i try to set temp and when it gets to the spot for the burner to ignite the pilot goes out. any suggestions?
Does your Utility come out to service your appliances? Be super careful with Natural Gas...it can kill you. I think you need expert help in this area.
srloren is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2016, 07:45 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 3,492

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrcat3 View Post
Possibly thermocouple needs replacing. Get out your owners manual and read how to do this. Fairly simple on most water heaters.

When was the last time it was serviced and cleaned to include air combustion filter?
jmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2016, 08:09 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 3,438

Does the burner try to come on?

Is the inner hatch to the burner compartment sealed?

To replace the thermocouple you have to open the inner hatch. Before you disconnect the pipes and tubes and withdraw the hatch and burner assembly completely, pull the hatch open just a little and try to light the heater again.

Your water heater may have an intake block that activates if cleaning fluid or other flammable liquid is spilled nearby. A replacement part is needed to reset the intake. The heater disabled for this reason will resume operation temporarily if the hatch is left ajar and the gasket (now needs replacement anyway) peeled off. But the heater should not be operated this way awaiting repair parts if the flame has a lot of yellow in it or if the warranty is still in effect.

Last edited by AllanJ; 04-21-2016 at 08:17 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 08:11 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 3,438

deleted ........................................
Advertisement