DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (https://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Plumbing (https://www.diychatroom.com/f7/)
-   -   New water heater only sending hot water for a short while (https://www.diychatroom.com/f7/new-water-heater-only-sending-hot-water-short-while-648989/)

stripedbass 12-22-2018 01:08 PM

Re: New water heater only sending hot water for a short while
 
2 Attachment(s)
Hi Bud,

I know that my kitchen faucet is a Moen. I'm not sure what brand is my shower faucet.

Are you suggesting I get an anti scald device or that I look to see whether I have one?

The only plumbing change that was made was the installation of a new shutoff to the water heater (in addition to replacing the one right above the water heater). We had to do this because the shutoff right above the heater did not shut off the hot water. It only shut off the cold water). This is why we had to shut off the building's main shutoff. But now with this secondary shutoff I do not have to shutoff the building's main shutoff. I'm attaching two photos below. I don't know whether they'll be clear enough for you to see. I think I'll have to take better photos of the shutoffs and post them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bud9051 (Post 5716185)
Maybe I missed it, but Allan asked "Does this happen at any faucet?" Is this just a problem at the shower?

If it is happening at all faucets then (as suggested) look for an anti scald device that can mix cold water into the hot.

I assume no other plumbing changes were made when water heater was installed?

Bud


rjniles 12-22-2018 02:36 PM

Re: New water heater only sending hot water for a short while
 
Your bath sink is disconnected, how is it disconnected. Show us a picture.

Bud9051 12-22-2018 03:07 PM

Re: New water heater only sending hot water for a short while
 
Not suggesting you need an anti-scald but trying to determine if you have one. Not a plumber so going to watch from the sidelines.

Bud

AllanJ 12-22-2018 03:13 PM

Re: New water heater only sending hot water for a short while
 
Shower anti-scald devices are usually part of the shower valve (and inside the wall behind).

Finding the hot pipe from the water heater still very hot after the water turned cold at the faucet tells me the water heater is not at fault.

You might have sediment or foreign matter floating around in the hot water pipes that may rise up to the shower valve or faucet being used and block the hot flow shortly after the faucet is turned on.

The only way I can think of for getting rid of this in a shower or bathtub is: Turn off the main water valve for the house. Disassemble the faucet or valve, removing the stem or cartridge. Cover the drain. Close the shower curtain. Go back downstairs and turn on the water a little. Go up and observe the flow. Go up and down to open the main valve a little more and check upstairs to get a good flow but not enough to push the shower curtain aside and get all over the floor. Let it run at a good clip for a few minutes. Then turn off the water and go up to see if the sediment came out. Re-assemble the faucets/valve.

stripedbass 12-22-2018 03:16 PM

Re: New water heater only sending hot water for a short while
 
1 Attachment(s)
Hi rj,

Attached below is a photo that shows how my bath sink is disconnected.

Please let me know if you need further information.

Thanks for trying to help me!

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjniles (Post 5717257)
Your bath sink is disconnected, how is it disconnected. Show us a picture.


COLDIRON 12-22-2018 06:03 PM

Re: New water heater only sending hot water for a short while
 
Reference to post #13. He's to busy to come by? You call him and tell him to get his ass back ASAP to find and fix or replace the water heater. 2 days old he's ridiculous.

stripedbass 12-23-2018 12:34 PM

Re: New water heater only sending hot water for a short while
 
Allan,

I really appreciate your feedback.

The only problem is that the old water heater did not have this problem. If the problem may be what you're describing, wouldn't the previous heater have had the same problem? In fact, with the old heater, I did not turn the kitchen sink and shower faucet all the way for I could scald myself (and the heat temperature knob on the old heater was always at a conservative setting! I never had it on a high setting).

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllanJ (Post 5717293)
Shower anti-scald devices are usually part of the shower valve (and inside the wall behind).

Finding the hot pipe from the water heater still very hot after the water turned cold at the faucet tells me the water heater is not at fault.

You might have sediment or foreign matter floating around in the hot water pipes that may rise up to the shower valve or faucet being used and block the hot flow shortly after the faucet is turned on.

The only way I can think of for getting rid of this in a shower or bathtub is: Turn off the main water valve for the house. Disassemble the faucet or valve, removing the stem or cartridge. Cover the drain. Close the shower curtain. Go back downstairs and turn on the water a little. Go up and observe the flow. Go up and down to open the main valve a little more and check upstairs to get a good flow but not enough to push the shower curtain aside and get all over the floor. Let it run at a good clip for a few minutes. Then turn off the water and go up to see if the sediment came out. Re-assemble the faucets/valve.


Akpsdvan 12-23-2018 12:58 PM

Re: New water heater only sending hot water for a short while
 
Has the dip tube been checked?


Some times the most simplest of answers is the answer.

stripedbass 12-23-2018 02:04 PM

Re: New water heater only sending hot water for a short while
 
Hi Akpsdvan,

I turned the hot water on in the kitchen sink then went to the basement. The pipe on my water heater with the red ring was hot. Someone told me that if the pipe was cold then the dip tube would be the problem.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akpsdvan (Post 5718001)
Has the dip tube been checked?


Some times the most simplest of answers is the answer.


Akpsdvan 12-23-2018 02:35 PM

Re: New water heater only sending hot water for a short while
 
Have you removed the nipple and checked in the tank to make sure that it is there?


Even a new tank and have a challenge with the dip tube.


Eyes on is very often the best way to make sure some thing is correct.

Colbyt 12-23-2018 03:40 PM

Re: New water heater only sending hot water for a short while
 
If the man paid a plumber to install the d thing it is not his job to check anything.


And if I had no hot water by now I would sure be filing a complaint with the BBB.

stripedbass 12-23-2018 08:33 PM

Re: New water heater only sending hot water for a short while
 
Akpsdvan,

Thanks for the suggestion!

I have to say that I don't think the plumber removed the nipple to check the tank and see whether the tube is there. As far as I know he just touched the hot water pipe.

Can the pipe be hot even if the dip tube is missing or broken?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akpsdvan (Post 5718057)
Have you removed the nipple and checked in the tank to make sure that it is there?


Even a new tank and have a challenge with the dip tube.


Eyes on is very often the best way to make sure some thing is correct.


LawnGuyLandSparky 12-23-2018 08:59 PM

Re: New water heater only sending hot water for a short while
 
Turn the water heater water supply valve off. Turn on kitchen faucet to hot. What happens?

LawnGuyLandSparky 12-23-2018 09:03 PM

Re: New water heater only sending hot water for a short while
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by stripedbass (Post 5718343)

Can the pipe be hot even if the dip tube is missing or broken?


Yes. At idle, the heat from the tank will convectively heat the pipe above it. In fact, if you haven't run the tap for a while, even the cold water pipe feeding the water heater will become hot.

hkstroud 12-23-2018 10:58 PM

Re: New water heater only sending hot water for a short while
 
Let's see if I understand all you have said. You have a kitchen faucet (a single handle Moen), a lavatory faucet (which is disconnected) a shower valve and a clothes washer.
You have said that when you are using hot water from either the kitchen faucet or shower and the water turned cold you have gone down to the water heater and the hot water output pipe is hot. That certainly indicates that the water coming out the faucet is not coming from the water heater. Suggest that you turn off the stop valve on the cold water input pipe to the water heater. Then you will know that any water coming out of the hot water side of a valve is coming from cold water side. You then only have to determine where. We know it can't be the bath lavatory faucet because it is physically disconnected. I have never heard of a cross over in a Moen valve but I suppose it could happen if the valve is open. Just not possible if the valve is closed. To eliminate any possibility however, close the hot water stop valve under your kitchen sink. It was suggested that it could possible be the washer and you said that it was unplugged. I suggest that you close the hot and cold water stop valves to the washer. That would eliminate any possibility of it being the washer mixing valve.

That only leaves the anti-scald valve in the shower if your shower valve has an anti-scald valve.



Given all that you have said that you have done so far, I have a question.

You said that this is a 12 unit condominium and that your water heater is in the basement. Do you have your own private basement? My question is where is the water heaters for the other units.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:28 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.