New Sewer Line Elevation Issues - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By MTN REMODEL LLC
  • 1 Post By Daniel Holzman
  • 1 Post By TheEplumber

Old 03-30-2017, 05:30 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 794

New Sewer Line Elevation Issues

We are in the exploratory stages of purchasing a fixer upper in very rough shape (famous last words). I know, your first answer is to run like hell.

The 2200 sq ft rambler needs to have the entire main level flip flopped - bedrooms and kitchen/living space reversed.

I am pretty handy for a CPA and can do most of the work myself and yet know what I need to hire out.

My main question is I am not sure if I have enough elevation to run a under the basement floor sewer line from 40 feet away to where the new master bathroom would need to go. I would need a minimum of 10 inches. On my current house that closes in a little over a month, i cut into the basement floor and tapped into the existing line. It was down a ways but i couldn't say 10 inches and you won't know until you open up the floor.

Are there solutions to this if we lack the elevation? I have heard of a sewage lift, but does it apply to a situation like this?

I don't want to buy the house and find out we can not flip flop. The house doesn't work in its current configuration.

PS, I do not want to run the drain through the basement just under the main floor joists.

Thanks for the help.

B
Beepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2017, 05:51 PM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 1,246

Re: New Sewer Line Elevation Issues

Quote:
My main question is I am not sure if I have enough elevation to run a under the basement floor sewer line from 40 feet away to where the new master bathroom would need to go. I would need a minimum of 10 inches.
Ayuh,..... IF I understand yer question,...

It can't be answered without knowin' the elevation of the pipe, as it leaves the basement, 'n where/ how it goes from there,.....
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2017, 06:02 PM   #3

I know. We are not going to go back and look for awhile, but...

For the sake of my question, the current bathrooms are all at the front of the house on the current bedroom side. For the sake of my question, I assume they go straight out to the street. The furthest bathroom in my plan will be at the rear of the house on the other side (40 feet away from the nearest stack).

Yes, i know things could be different and there is no problem, but i need to know if there is a solution if the as-bad-as-expected is true before i buy and THEN try and figure out a solution.

B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2017, 06:30 PM   #4
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 1,854

Yes... You could put it on a sewage pump.... but that has to come into a place where it will drain.

Does not prove anything on the positive, as you won't know the full run, but there should be a yard cleanout, and can tape it's depth at that point. Could indicate that you can't run as you would desire.

CPA.... does that stand for "can't pass actuarial"..... just kidding...
Bondo likes this.
Old 03-31-2017, 08:48 AM   #5

Thanks MTN.

By yard cleanout, you mean the cleanout that is inside the house just before the sewer line leaves the house? Yes, that may or may not solve anything but that would be a place to start. Good idea.

BUT, if it isn't as deep as we hope, is there any solution to running a sewer pipe under the basement floor from a long distance when the existing sewer line is not deep enough?

Brian
Old 03-31-2017, 09:26 AM   #6
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 5,246

You may want to consider hiring a plumber to look at the house. Since the question of whether you can alter the house configuration is apparently critical to your decision, are you really willing to purchase a house based on an opinion on an internet chat forum, from someone who has never seen the house? A plumbing consult should answer the question definitively, allowing you to either move forward or drop the purchase.
Bondo likes this.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 09:28 AM   #7
Plumber

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beepster View Post
Thanks MTN.

By yard cleanout, you mean the cleanout that is inside the house just before the sewer line leaves the house? Yes, that may or may not solve anything but that would be a place to start. Good idea.

BUT, if it isn't as deep as we hope, is there any solution to running a sewer pipe under the basement floor from a long distance when the existing sewer line is not deep enough?

Brian
The bathroom on the main floor? run it overhead (basement ceiling) to the stack. Or take it out the end of the house and trench it to the sewer.
Bondo likes this.
Old 03-31-2017, 09:47 AM   #8

Daniel,

I would probably end up doing that. Without getting to invasive (opening up the basement floor to see how deep the line is) will a licensed plumber be able to figure this out?

E,

Don't want to hang at the basement ceiling, would lose to much space. Unless I could get it to an exterior wall.

Yes, I see I will have to get a professional to look over the situation.

Thanks for all the input.

B
Old 03-31-2017, 10:07 AM   #9
Remodel and New Build GC

A sewer inspection (camera) might yield some insight.... and it is non-invasive and a very normal pre-purchase type inspection. Costs about 150-200.

I've found them to be very accurate on distances.... but I think it would be mostly judgemental as to depth.
Old 03-31-2017, 10:34 AM   #10
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 31,946

Many of the inspection cameras also have a tracer function where you can follow the head with tracker unit. They give depth although I don't know how accurate they are.

A sewage ejector pit is always an option. I don't know why the output couldn't be run under the basement floor.
joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 10:44 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed View Post
A sewage ejector pit is always an option. I don't know why the output couldn't be run under the basement floor.
God that sounds gross but that may be a solution. I googled that a bit. So basically the waste dumps into a small pit and the pump lifts it up to get it to the height it needs to leave the house? I assume the pit is sealed and never opened unless the pump goes bad?

B
Old 03-31-2017, 10:48 AM   #12
Remodel and New Build GC

Google around and you'll find sort of self contained units intended to handle small volumes (single baths). They will spec their lift capacity and run capacity.

I can't think of the makers name.
Old 03-31-2017, 11:14 AM   #13

Thanks gang.

This is what I was looking for. Yes, there is a solution that isn't ultra expensive.

And yes, I will have plenty of inspections done if it ever gets to the point where we agree on a price.

I am just trying to find excuses not to buy the house. We close on our current house (my second rehab) a month from tomorrow and are moving into my sister in laws basement temporarily. The easier rehabs in my preferred area are going for too much. Not enough room to profit at the end.

BTW, CPA stands for I will not see the sun for another three weeks.

B
Old 03-31-2017, 11:48 AM   #14
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 31,946

Quote:
So basically the waste dumps into a small pit and the pump lifts it up to get it to the height it needs to leave the house?
Yes that is exactly how it works. The pit is sealed and vented like other plumbing fixtures. The pump is not a normal sump pump but one specially designed for sewage grinding and pumping.
joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 05:15 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 1,938

Can't do the sump pit on new housing under IPC.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement