New Kitchen Faucet, Humor, Sadness, Question - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-30-2015, 02:32 PM   #1
Another DIY Zombie

Rewards Points: 264

New Kitchen Faucet, Humor, sadness, question

So, while visiting Home Depot the other day, we picked up this Price Pfister kitchen faucet to replace the cheapy model that was original with the 18 year old house just bought.

Humor:
After the faucet was installed, I was installing the soap dispenser that it comes with. The sink is a deep double bowl Swanstone and I was having a hard time getting the threaded shaft in the hole from below, while lining up the top screw cap above the sink, I was just about to try a different approach, when I lost grip of the shaft and it fell. I heard it land. I looked under the sink...nope. I then noticed a large cutout in the top right side of the sink cabinet, so I figure it fell through that hole into the cabinet next to it. Nope, all different individual cabinets. And the sink cabinet is about 8" deeper than the cabinet next to it. The shaft fell into a dead zone that is inaccessible. So, back to the store I go for another brushed nickel soap dispenser (for another $26) that will somewhat match the original.

The sadness:
The next day, I was in the basement doing some work and notice some wet spots here and there. First thinking it was our dog who is being trained to use an outdoor potty. Nope, not dog pee. Then I notice a box next to the wet spot is wet on top. Then I notice the foil insulation on the ductwork has drops of water on it....now I freak out. Run up to the sink and look in the cabinet. floor is wet and there are water drops everywhere. I turn on the sink and see water spraying everywhere. I quick grab the pull out hose for the sprayer and push the connector together and it clicks into place. hmmm, I know I did that when I installed as I ran the sink for a minute looking for other leaks under the sink. So, why did it pop loose?

The question:
I notice with this sink faucet, the gooseneck of it swivels very freely, and as such when you are using it, it can move on you. I think that my wife or I swivel this think a full 360 degrees and somehow put a lot of stress on the hose connection and it popped loose. So, the question. Is it possible to tighten these up so they do not swivel so freely? I checked the installation paperwork (very cryptic) and there was no mention....
Attached Images

javan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2015, 06:55 PM   #2
Plumber

Rewards Points: 302

I know of no method to tighten it. "reverse engineering" might be the only recourse.
Typically, the opposite is the problem- too tight
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2015, 07:25 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 582

have a lot of people ask me the same thing.....it is what it is as e mentioned don't know of any way to tighten them.....but it should not move like that there should be some resistance....
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2015, 08:14 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 5,348

The base of the faucet should not move. The top part can swivel around. If you just aim the faucet top so it's in the sink area, you should be fine.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 08:28 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 572

Sometimes if you can get a little clear silicone either underneath or on top it can add some resistance.
griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 10:13 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 5,348

Quote:
Originally Posted by griz View Post
Sometimes if you can get a little clear silicone either underneath or on top it can add some resistance.
Maybe cram some stale donuts in there as well. What is this "New Age", home remedies?
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 06:08 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 127

So you've replaced a cheap flimsy faucet with another cheap flimsy faucet. Three or four years ago I had to replace my kitchen faucet and we were planning on redoing the kitchen so I didn't want to spend a lot of money on a decent faucet and bought a price Pfizter . The soap dispenser lasted maybe two years, the cap that retains the pull out head is a cheap piece of plastic held in by a minuscule cleat that isn't up to the job. And the water connections were pretty flimsy but I was careful to align things well and not over tighten. So far no links, but this is a low grade faucet. I knew that when I bought it but I expected it to be engineered and built better than it is.
jimn01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 10:09 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 489

I'm not sure what the price point of a 'good' faucet is. I put in two Moens at $220 a pop, and one had two different leaks, right out of the box. You can't change the hoses (one of the leaks) as they are built in. I read all sorts of reviews, and even some very expensive faucets are troublesome. Used to be you could buy a cheap Delta for $30 and use it forever. One of my faucets has a very loose swivel; the other one has about the 'right' amount of drag.
MushCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 12:32 PM   #9
Another DIY Zombie

Rewards Points: 264

A few items to add here.

1. The soap dispenser I bought due to my loss of the shaft and retaining nut was actually of better quality than the one that came with the faucet....but it was nearly $30.

2. Think the leak I encountered was due to 2 things. first being that I most likely did not have the hose quick connect fully connected. second being that the weight on the hose got caught on something below and I simply pulled hard enough to weaken the hose connection.

regarding the weight, there is a lot of stuff to get hung up on, as there is a garbage disposal, two sink drains, two deep sink bowls, etc.

I need to spend some quality time under the sink and see what I can do with that weight...
javan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement