New Home Pipe Outside Leaking NOT AC - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By aidan80
  • 1 Post By aidan80
  • 1 Post By aidan80

Old 02-19-2017, 05:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 61

New Home Pipe Outside Leaking NOT AC

I bought a new house less than a year ago. During the final walkthrough I was told what this pipe (see image) does was and told it was normal if it dropped once in a while. I don't however have any memory of what it does why it's leaking or how to stop it. Google gave me a lot of "it's the AC line" which it isn't. Homeowners manual gave me nothing.

I think it's an overflow of some type? The builder mentioned something about it being a new code that was required to have on new construction. At least I know why my last water bill was sky high. This this is leaking constantly like a dripping tap. I've contacted the builder but hoping I can figure out what it is and stop the water running short of shutting it off at the mains.

It's not the AC line that is on the west side of the house this pipe is on the east side of the house. It's not the hot water heater as it's on the west side of the house and I can see it's overflow line. The only thing remotely close to that line inside the house is a guest bathroom which hasn't been used in weeks. There's no running water in there, toilet isn't running and I can't find a similar pipe on the west side of the house where the master bathroom is so I'm back to thinking overflow or pressure release of some sort?

Idea's comments or suggestions are most welcome

http://s787.photobucket.com/user/aid...kmbzd.jpg.html
aidan80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2017, 06:18 PM   #2

Re: New Home Pipe Outside Leaking NOT AC

I went from a fast drip to almost running water. I shut it off at the mains and that stopped it after a few minutes. The mains valve was buried and laying sideways that was rather difficult to turn. I called the after hours plumber for the builder and of course they didn't pickup so I'm waiting hoping I'll get a call back and not have to go without running water the rest of today.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2017, 06:31 PM   #3
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 2,112

It's hard to tell from the angle but that fitting on the end looks like a pressure relief valve. It's not a set-up I'm familiar with. It might help others to tell us where it is leaking from: that fitting?; one of the joints? Also, can you trace the lines inside to tell where they lead?
lenaitch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lenaitch For This Useful Post:
aidan80 (02-19-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2017, 07:01 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenaitch View Post
It's hard to tell from the angle but that fitting on the end looks like a pressure relief valve. It's not a set-up I'm familiar with. It might help others to tell us where it is leaking from: that fitting?; one of the joints? Also, can you trace the lines inside to tell where they lead?
If your looking at the picture I've got two lines that come out from the wall covered in stucco and unpainted. I've got one to the left of the red value/tap and one to the right. Looking all the way to the right there's a white PVC type connector (that isn't covered in stucco) with what appears to be a copper/metal type fitting that's open like a tap and pointing downwards with water dripping well running out. Looking at the image you can see water in free fall, the mulch below is dark and damp. The white PVC pipe poking up from the ground with the brown top is unrelated to this issue.

Turning off all the water to the house apart from the irrigation at least stopped it from running. I've been over the "Home owners manual" again and it talks a lot about things that aren't that pipe/value/tap whatever it is. It's frustrating mostly because it's a new home and I can't think what I could have done that would cause this? I know we've got hard water here in this area and I've had to clean out all the shower/tap heads due to buildup of silt. I was thinking that was just dirt leftover from construction. Hoping I don't have a blocked pipe somewhere causing an overflow outside?
Douggerard likes this.
Old 02-19-2017, 07:35 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 3,510

I agree with you adrian, looks like some sort of pressure relief or pressure reducing valve.

It shouldn't be running like a faucet, only once in awhile it may open and drip sometimes.

Definitely follow up with your builder and get it corrected. Could just be faulty and needs replacing.
jmon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 07:37 PM   #6

Is there an expansion tank on the water heater?
Old 02-19-2017, 07:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmon View Post
I agree with you adrian, looks like some sort of pressure relief or pressure reducing valve.

It shouldn't be running like a faucet, only once in awhile it may open and drip sometimes.

Definitely follow up with your builder and get it corrected. Could just be faulty and needs replacing.
Thanks, the builders plumber called back and confirmed it's a pressure release value and he suspected it's failed and will need replaced. His advise was to turn the mains water back on and ignore the running water outside. I had to decline, that's wasted an unknown amount of water so far and accounts for my ever increasing water bill. I got the distinct feeling he didn't want to drive over here in the dark and swap out that value. I told him I'd wait until tomorrow. Mystery solved hopefully, thank you very much for your assistance.
jmon likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to aidan80 For This Useful Post:
jmon (02-19-2017)
Old 02-19-2017, 07:43 PM   #8

Quote:
Is there an expansion tank on the water heater?
I've no idea what that is. The water heater is all the way on the other side of the house. I was able to follow the water heater's overflow line and it's well on the other side of the house.
Old 02-19-2017, 07:47 PM   #9

Yea that sounds about right. Probably didn't want to drive out there on a Sunday, as it's not really an emergency.

However, you are correct, depending on where you are water can very expensive per month, especially California.

Glad everything is covered and will be taken care of soon for you aidan.
Old 02-19-2017, 07:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by aidan80 View Post
I've no idea what that is. The water heater is all the way on the other side of the house. I was able to follow the water heater's overflow line and it's well on the other side of the house.
I wouldn't worry about it, I'm sure you do, its a brand new house. The builder is coming out and will take care of everything.

Its just an expansion tank, looks something like this; Just to give you an idea of what it is. It gives water a place to go when its heated and expands. If its faulty, it can cause those issues.

The Following User Says Thank You to jmon For This Useful Post:
aidan80 (02-20-2017)
Old 02-20-2017, 08:33 AM   #11

Quote:
Yea that sounds about right. Probably didn't want to drive out there on a Sunday, as it's not really an emergency.

However, you are correct, depending on where you are water can very expensive per month, especially California.

Glad everything is covered and will be taken care of soon for you aidan.
Not an emergency to the plumber but it's an emergency to me since I've no running water. I shut it off at the mains. Water in this area is rather expensive. I'd been wondering why my water bill has been going up the past few months and this accounts for it.
jmon likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement