New Drain Is Slow To Drain And Have No Clogs - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Oso954
  • 1 Post By johnnycage
  • 2 Post By johnnycage

Old 08-19-2016, 10:47 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 16

New drain is slow to drain and have no clogs

I installed a new drain that doesn't seem to drain properly. The previous one drained fine though.

Now when the sink fills up it drains incredibly slow. Not only that, but water comes out in areas it didn't before. I am assuming there is not enough pressure, but I really have no clue.

I am hoping the collective here can help.

Last edited by johnnycage; 08-19-2016 at 10:55 AM.
johnnycage is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2016, 10:55 AM   #2

Re: New drain is slow to drain and have no clogs

So far I have taken out the drain assembly and reinstalled it to see if there was an error in putting everything together. I'm at a loss. The other sinks int he house drain perfectly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2016, 11:15 AM   #3
Plumber

Rewards Points: 258

The leak points are a matter of getting a proper seal. It's a separate issue.
First, can you describe or show a picture of the stopper in the sink? My first guess is an issue with the pop up.
You could remove the stopper (leave the lever rod installed) and see how it drains
jmon (08-19-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2016, 12:22 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 4,814

The locations of the leaks you have make me think there's a clog further down the line.
stick\shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 12:42 PM   #5
Plumber

Rewards Points: 258

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick\shift View Post
The locations of the leaks you have make me think there's a clog further down the line.
It's a process of elimination and this is a possibility. Sometimes stoppers are set to low- restricting the flow. It's a simple linkage adjustment. Once this is confirmed to not be the problem he can move on to a sluggish drain or repair the joints
Old 08-19-2016, 02:48 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
It's a process of elimination and this is a possibility. Sometimes stoppers are set to low- restricting the flow. It's a simple linkage adjustment. Once this is confirmed to not be the problem he can move on to a sluggish drain or repair the joints
It is a pop up drain. I did adjust it to pop up more, but will test with it out completely tonight when I finish work. I will report back my findings.
Old 08-19-2016, 04:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
Okay, tested without the plug in the drain, still draining slow.
Old 08-21-2016, 03:27 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,526

From top:
#1 leak may be with the cheap plastic drain with deep threads. The bevel washer doesn't seal into these threads. You may want to fill in the threads with putty. I recommend discarding the plastic and buy metal drain tube with new pop up, etc.

#2 leak is probably lack of pressure contact/twisted o ring at the bottom. Again recommend a metal replacement. I found even teflon tape doesn't seal with deep thread plastics.

#3 leak is not enough tightening the nut or the bevel washer inside is damaged - too much tightening. If you used hard white plastic washer, replace with pliable green washer. Again, your plastic drain sometimes does not fit well into these washers. Twisted washers can also become a point that catches hair, etc.

#4 leak is probably you did not tighten the adapter or didn't use enough sealer. If you glued everything in, you probably have to replace these parts.

Slow draining looks like it's blocked after the wall. I don't know how new your system is, but soap scum can build up quickly or disturbed a rust or some deposit. When trap parts are removed, snake out the drain in the wall as much as you can. Cheap 1/4 spring snake with a drill works well. Check videos for how to, if not familiar.

Last edited by carpdad; 08-21-2016 at 03:30 PM.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 03:39 PM   #9

Thank you for the tips, I'll give these a go and will get back with my results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpdad View Post
From top:
#1 leak may be with the cheap plastic drain with deep threads. The bevel washer doesn't seal into these threads. You may want to fill in the threads with putty. I recommend discarding the plastic and buy metal drain tube with new pop up, etc.

#2 leak is probably lack of pressure contact/twisted o ring at the bottom. Again recommend a metal replacement. I found even teflon tape doesn't seal with deep thread plastics.

#3 leak is not enough tightening the nut or the bevel washer inside is damaged - too much tightening. If you used hard white plastic washer, replace with pliable green washer. Again, your plastic drain sometimes does not fit well into these washers. Twisted washers can also become a point that catches hair, etc.

#4 leak is probably you did not tighten the adapter or didn't use enough sealer. If you glued everything in, you probably have to replace these parts.

Slow draining looks like it's blocked after the wall. I don't know how new your system is, but soap scum can build up quickly or disturbed a rust or some deposit. When trap parts are removed, snake out the drain in the wall as much as you can. Cheap 1/4 spring snake with a drill works well. Check videos for how to, if not familiar.
Old 08-21-2016, 03:51 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,870

The leak at #3 may be contributed to because it does not appear to be properly aligned with the tail piece. It appears that the trap is shoving the piece below the leak off-center.

A tilted joint does not seal as well as a properly alighted one.
SeniorSitizen likes this.
Oso954 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 03:42 PM   #11

OKay, update. There was a clog about 10 feet down the line. Used an auger and a drill. Now I just have one leak to fix. The leak at the spot where the tailpiece is screwed into the drain.
jmon likes this.
Old 08-27-2016, 05:47 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 3,458

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnycage View Post
OKay, update. There was a clog about 10 feet down the line. Used an auger and a drill. Now I just have one leak to fix. The leak at the spot where the tailpiece is screwed into the drain.
Thanks for the update johnny. Glad you got you got drain unclogged. Great job.

Check to make sure the nylon gasket is seated correctly. Check and make sure you didn't crack the tailpiece by over tightening.
jmon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 05:53 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 3,458

Additional info;

jmon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 07:58 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 1,942

Pipe dope the tailpiece threads.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 02:28 PM   #15

and the leak is fixed; some teflon tape did the trick. Thanks all for the assistance, it is greatly appreciated.
bob22 and jmon like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to johnnycage For This Useful Post:
jmon (08-28-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement