New Bathtub Leaking At The Drain - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-03-2015, 05:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 245

new bathtub leaking at the drain

Hi all.
I just installed a Spencer bathub, and I followed the directions carefully as always.
The drain is the foot lock type (push to open/close), screws in.

I put the waste shoe under the tub with a rubber washer between the shoe and the tub. On the top side, the foot lock screws into the waste shoe. A ring of plumbers putty is placed under the edge of the foot lock.

I hand tightened it as the directions said, with a lot of putty. As I turned it, I wiped away the putty that oozed out. I got it turned about as tight as I could get it by hand, and there really isn't anything on it to allow any type of tool to be applied anyway.

Once the pipes were connected to the waste system, I put 10 gallons of water in the tub (about three hours after the drain was installed). Then I ran it out and went under the house. Water was pouring pretty freely, apparently from between the tub and the rubber washer.

Everything is new. I'm calling it a day since it's cold and rainy here and now dark outside, but I'll get back on this tomorrow. Just wondering what I'm supposed to have done differently, or what I can do now to get this thing tightened down and sealed.

Thanks.
wengang1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2015, 06:02 PM   #2
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

That pop up is removable--hunt up the directions---then use a tool to tighten that up a few more turns.
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2015, 06:07 PM   #3
Property Mgt/Maint

Rewards Points: 8,202

you didn't mention anything about sealing the threads between the 2 pcs. Teflon tape and or teflon past on the threads should solve the problem.
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2015, 06:12 PM   #4
Property Mgt/Maint

i have tightened these in the past using a pair of pliers to drop into the strainer openings and then a adjustable wrench to turn the pliers
oh'mike (10-03-2015)
Old 10-03-2015, 06:39 PM   #5
Plumber

Rewards Points: 302

Yep, Another turn on the strainer should it. Remove the foot lock assembly, then use the pliers trick or buy a tub strainer tool.
The seal is in the gasket and putty so pipe dope really doesn't help- except to lubricate.

Also, too much putty is a bad thing. I got to where I use silicone a lot too
oh'mike (10-03-2015)
Old 10-03-2015, 07:00 PM   #6
Property Mgt/Maint

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
The seal is in the gasket and putty so pipe dope really doesn't help- except to lubricate.

Sealing the threads just provides another layer of protection. It only adds about 1 minute to the installation. IMO worth the extra effort.
When the threads are sealed, water will never even see the bottom gasket.
bob hardron (10-06-2015)
Old 10-05-2015, 12:27 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 245

Yes, I should have looked at that a bit longer before posting. I'd never seen this foot lock design before, and I assumed it was some kind of pre-assembled unit. Originally, I tightened with my hand.
Once I took the spring device out, I gave it a couple of turns with needle-nose pliers and it stopped leaking altogether.
I even bought a second unit and replaced the drain in the second bathtub. That one was so old the crossbars had rotted away and the drain itself was rotting. I had to chew it out piece by piece with needle-nose pliers (yeah, they came in handy this weekend).
The only problem is now I see that both of these devices have a tendency to be a bit sticky, unless I've done something wrong. Neither ones goes close-open-close-open consistently on single hits. Maybe the ones I bought were too cheap.

Anyway, after all was installed, the tub was popping quite a bit as I walked around in it. It has little pegs underneath in a crosshatch pattern, and I guess these are supposed to touch the floor. I went to Lowes and got some mortar cement. I'm going to put down about 1 inch for the area of that body and set the tub back down.
I'll do that when I get off work today, so if anybody has any advice on that part, I'd be glad to hear it.
Thanks all.
wengang1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement