New Bathtub With Existing Drain And Overflow - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-27-2016, 09:24 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 99

New Bathtub with Existing drain and overflow

Hello,
Side note before I describe my situation: I never replaced bathtub and never been a plumber, although I fix things around the house every now and then. I decided to do it myself to save money and felt confident after watching many YouTube videos.

I am replacing my old and damaged bathtub with a new one (Bootz) and decided to use the existing bathtub drain and overflow thinking that it should work with my new tub. However, it is not. In fact, overflow is perfectly aligns with news tub's overflow hole, but the bathtub drain is about 2 inches below the tub's drain hole. Right now, my new bathtub is just sitting there. I have not done anything to it yet. If I HAVE to move it out of the way, I can. I am trying to do very minimum to get my new tub installed and working. So, What simple solutions are out there for my problem just so I don't have to do anything major? Are there any extender or kit or quick fix I can use to connect my new tub drain hole to the drain itself?

Here is a drawing of what I am talking about.
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2016, 11:38 AM   #2
Plumber

Rewards Points: 180

Re: New Bathtub with Existing drain and overflow

Are the joints on the existing W&O solvent weld or compression? What material is the trap and W&O made of?
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2016, 05:23 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,866

Replace the tub waste. And reattach it to the trap below the floor.
Ghostmaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2016, 08:44 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 99

Are there any special tools for removing tub waste and/or overflow? I tried to remove the whole thing with all the strength with my bare hands this evening, but I couldn't. Apparently, it is so old that it will NOT move at all. Plus, space is kind of tight. At this point I want to remove the whole thing upto the pvc pipe and install new overflow and waste drain. Have a look at the pictures... Thank you again for any hints or clues or advice or help.

Advertisement