Need A Well Pump Expert - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-05-2017, 12:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 648

Need a well pump expert

So I had an issue earlier in the year when I was replacing some pvc pipe at our cottage with copper. We have a submersible well that's 130' deep. The black poly pipe come up through the basement floor to connect to the expansion tank.

There was a plastic fitting in the black poly pipe that I was going to replace with a stainless one that was longer and could get 2 worm clamps on. Turned off the well pump, disconnected the well line, heated up the poly pipe a little and pushed the new fitting inside. I needed to push it in about another 1/2", wouldn't go, so I put a piece of wood over the threads, and whacked it with a hammer.

One wack, all good, one more wack, and water started gushing out of the pipe. I took a flex line, directed it to the nearby sump pump. Figured it was some type of siphon and would stop. It didn't stop. It was gushing out with quite a bit of force. I even turned on the well pump, it gushed out harder, turned it off, it kept pouring out.

I finally gave up and was planning on using a corrugated stainless flex line to make the connection, so luckily I was ready to connect it to the tank, and did it while water was gushing. Tightened the clamps, tightened the connection, everything is fine.

Any idea why the water was gushing or why hitting the line with a hammer all the sudden caused water to gush? The poly line is probably 25' away from the well head, and the well is 130' deep. Is there pressure from the water source that is being pushed out of the pipe? Hitting it did something to a check valve or something? I'm new to this well stuff. My first time with a well so I was stumped.
taylorjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2017, 01:31 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 6,694

Re: Need a well pump expert

Show picture of your tank and piping and where you replaced the coupling.
How did you turnoff the well pump, at the pressure switch or at the breaker?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2017, 02:26 PM   #3
Water Treatment

Rewards Points: 1,184

Could it be that you have a free flowing Artesian well? we have a number around here and some flow out of the top the well with about 5psi and then there are some at 35psi.
It could be that yours was stopped and the hit that you gave the pipe freed some thing and now it is flowing again.
If it is a free flowing artesian it is best by the drillers in my area that it is allowed to continue flowing and the pump will only help in delivery of the water.
Just my thoughts.
Akpsdvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2017, 03:31 PM   #4

I turned the well pump off at the breaker. That's the only place to turn it off. I'll get a picture tomorrow. It was replaced right at where the water pipe comes into the house directly from the well.

I have no idea if its artisian or not. I'm not familiar with it in the Michigan area. I know the water tastes like crap! Very high in iron and has to run through multiple filters and a water softener. We are next to a small lake, so maybe it is a free flowing well. The well worked fine, I just can't figure out why wacking the plastic pipe caused it to start flowing. But I guess it could be a free flowing well. I have a copy of the well information attached.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf water well.pdf (12.7 KB, 80 views)
Old 02-05-2017, 04:13 PM   #5
Water Treatment

Rewards Points: 1,184

Water level in the lake up?
How far from the lake?
Might ask the driller what his thoughts are on the flowing of water after the hammer hit.
Akpsdvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 04:26 PM   #6
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 2,050

I notice on the well report that the static water level is noted as "above grade - flowing", it only drew down to 8' after 1 hour @20gpm and the "yield test method" was a bailer. It sure sounds like you have an artesian well. If so it is pretty healthy since it is pushing up from 138' but it looks like your pump is only down 35'. I'd be giving the installer a call.
lenaitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 05:00 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 31,940

It could be that using the well pump drew the level down below the pipe level. As you were working on it the water level rose and it was just by luck that it started flowing when you hit it.
joed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 08:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenaitch View Post
I notice on the well report that the static water level is noted as "above grade - flowing", it only drew down to 8' after 1 hour @20gpm and the "yield test method" was a bailer. It sure sounds like you have an artesian well. If so it is pretty healthy since it is pushing up from 138' but it looks like your pump is only down 35'. I'd be giving the installer a call.
I believe what you are looking at is the drop pipe that is 35' x 1" diameter is the line running from my basement, to the pitless adapter in the well. There is 35' of pipe there, not that the pump is 35' below ground. I believe there is another line that runs from the pitless adapter to the well head. Again, I may be wrong, but that's the way I understood it.
Old 02-05-2017, 08:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akpsdvan View Post
Water level in the lake up?
How far from the lake?
Might ask the driller what his thoughts are on the flowing of water after the hammer hit.
The lake is about 100' away. Was probably at the normal summertime level at the time since it's controlled by a dam.
Old 02-05-2017, 08:27 PM   #10

I suppose it could be an Artesian well. I always associated an Artesian well as being nice, clean, clear water. This stuff is high iron, extremely hard and high sulfates. Here is a water test done right from the well. In the summer when people are there all the time using the water, I'll go through about 150-200lbs of salt in the softener per month.
Attached Thumbnails
Need a well pump expert-water.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement