Need Watertight Connection Between 4" Corrugated Drain Pipe And 4" PVC (sched 40) - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Yodaman
  • 1 Post By Yodaman
  • 1 Post By homeimproverjoe

Old 04-22-2017, 07:22 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 666

Need watertight connection between 4" corrugated drain pipe and 4" PVC (sched 40)

I have a buried 4" corrugated drain pipe going under my patio (which drains water from a single downspout on the patio along with a surface water basin).

This pipe has a been crushed where it exits from under the patio below grade - there is a large hole in it. I have cut the pipe behind the damaged area and need to connect it to new schedule 40 PVC which will carry the water to daylight beyond the house.

I have it connected now with one of the Black drain pipe coupling connectors and it's fairly tight but it still leaks a fair amount of water at the joint. Since this connection will be only about 2 foot from the house and next to a 2 foot deep koi pond I'm constructing, I'm concerned about having a leak at that connection that may cause issues down the road with either the house or the koi pond.

Should I be concerned or will soil compaction around the pipe effectively hold back water seepage? If not, what would your suggestion be for getting as good a seal as possible there?

Last edited by homeimproverjoe; 04-22-2017 at 07:25 PM.
homeimproverjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2017, 07:57 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 708

Re: Need watertight connection between 4" corrugated drain pipe and 4" PVC (sched 40)

According to This Page there are adaptors available.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2017, 07:57 PM   #3
Property Mgt/Maint

Rewards Points: 8,202

Re: Need watertight connection between 4" corrugated drain pipe and 4" PVC (sched 40)

you need a adapter, maybe you can find one local
http://stores.drainageproducts.us/4-...-s-fabricated/
Mike Milam likes this.
Yodaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2017, 07:33 PM   #4

Here are the adapters I picked up, but I still have leaks occurring at this junction.

I also tried a 4 inch Fernco adapter but it won't fit over the corrugated pipe (fits perfect over the thick wall PVC 4 inch)

So, I'm considering using what I have (the two adapters in the first pic above) and sealing them up with caulk. If that will work, which of these would be best, BlackJack Roof Cement or Dap Kwik Seal?

Old 04-25-2017, 09:11 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 708

Duct tape. The cloth type.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:29 AM   #6
Property Mgt/Maint

Not sure why the first adapter didn't hold. Hard to tell from here. Are both pcs sloped down? It's not evident from the pic.

Regarding using a Fernco fitting, not a bad idea, but you need the correct one.

https://www.doitbest.com/products/40...FVNMDQodiPsCXA

BTW - packing the fitting area with dirt, or caulk will not work.
And I would expect tape to work marginally better than dirt.
homeimproverjoe likes this.

Last edited by Yodaman; 04-26-2017 at 06:36 AM.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:40 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaman View Post
Not sure why the first adapter didn't hold. Hard to tell from here. Are both pcs sloped down? It's not evident from the pic.
The black pipe is about level where it connects to the white PVC (which I have raised over the trench in the photo. The PVC has a slope of appx 1 foot every 8-10 feet.

Going to try to exchange my Fernco with the one in your pic and see if that does it.
Yodaman likes this.

Last edited by homeimproverjoe; 04-26-2017 at 08:45 AM.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:46 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,650

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhaslip View Post
Duct tape. The cloth type.
Doubt it would last a month.
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 05:37 AM   #9

I was able to get the pipe adapter at one of our HD stores. The lip on the inside of the adapter made it near impossible to get it over the corrugated irrigation pipe. In fact, I had to get my heat gun and soften the rubber up in order to get it past the first ring. However, once I did that, it sealed up very well. I did a watertight test and it held perfectly, no drips.

So, now that's behind me, delaying my project a few days, I can resume on building the pond and water feature that this piping will go under.

First a underground sandstone boulder, then a broken pipe, hopefully those are the last of the hidden surprises this pond dig has in store.

Thanks for the help and tips!

Last edited by homeimproverjoe; 04-28-2017 at 05:49 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to homeimproverjoe For This Useful Post:
bob22 (04-28-2017)
Old 04-28-2017, 06:35 AM   #10
Property Mgt/Maint

A squirt of dish soap helps those stiff rubber couplings also. Good luck with your project.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement