Need Some Ideas On This - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-25-2015, 08:56 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 6,652

Need some ideas on this

I am thinking of just going with a Wall Hrydrant, in place of the existing bib. It is a Woodford 17 in there now. I can repair the unit, since the gaskets and such are gone.

But it will be hard getting it out 1/2" or so, so that we can attach a hose.

Height: 7"
Width: 3 3/4"
Depth: 2"

I am wondering if it will be an issue, since it will be a Vertical install, instead of a standard Horizontal install. There is not much wiggle room going up, because it is within 3" of the subfloor, as it sits.
Need some ideas on this-imageuploadedbydiy-chat1432605212.484790.jpg

Last edited by gregzoll; 05-25-2015 at 09:01 PM.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2015, 09:21 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 31,922

That siding box was installed upside down. The larger spaced section should be at the bottom so the hose can be attached.
joed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2015, 09:43 PM   #3

Tell me about it. The bottom of the box is at the edge, where the S joint is for the siding. I did not catch it, until they already had the siding halfway up on that side.

What got me, is when I called a local plumbing company to come over and have them do the work of getting out just enough, so that we could use it. They guy told me that I could do it, and I looked at him with that "I called you to do the work".

I am beginning to think the local plumbing and heating companies only want the big dollar jobs, not minor jobs like this, which are what actually pays the bills.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2015, 10:51 PM   #4
Plumber

Rewards Points: 248

What are you calling a wall hydrant vs. bib? The terms are interchangeable in my neck of the woods.
Old 05-26-2015, 03:25 AM   #5

Woodford calls the units that you normally see on a Commercial building a Wall Hydrant. You like me, just call them Hose Bibs, because that is how we were brought up. Because we lived through the period that Anti-Freeze, Anti-Siphon hose bibs were not used.

I looked at the Woodford catalog Sunday night. Looks like the Series 25 may work for that opening. I need to go down there and remove the R-13 that covers that piping, and get a measurement from the plate to the Copper, and from the Copper to the Sub-Floor.

I have a Hot & Cold at that area, that I am guessing was used for a Wringer Tub. It is odd, because there was never any signs of a wash tub, or other item there. The waste for the sink has a cap on it. So I know that there was not a utility sink under the Kitchen sink.

The best surprise I got when they pulled off the siding. I found a piece of Porcelain Tube that still had a old piece of Rubber coated Single Pair telephone line in it. Just off a bit from where the NID was installed later on.

This the Series 25 that I was thinking of. http://www.woodfordmfg.com/woodford/.../Model-25.html Of course, I would have to have the crew come back and flip that Beauty Ring around, along with plug the old hole, so that I could install that unit, or just move the Model 17 that I have, up to the top.

Yes if I knew that we were going to run into that. I would have ran and got a Shark Bite cap, until I could get my plumber to put back in the faucet when they were done, or just do it myself with the Shark Bite.

I was hurting pretty good, from overdoing it a couple of weeks earlier at a 5k in my wheelchair, along with my Bursitis was flaring, because of all that rain we had for the past two weeks.

Old 05-26-2015, 10:51 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,910

Can you remove the existing hose bib, flip the siding box upside down and reinstall the hose bib at the new box hole position? If you have 3"space to subfloor that should work.
jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 11:53 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 474

I would just do what you were thinking and save yourself a ton of work.
BrowneBearLLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 01:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jogr View Post
Can you remove the existing hose bib, flip the siding box upside down and reinstall the hose bib at the new box hole position? If you have 3"space to subfloor that should work.

No Jogr. The box has a Nailing flange. Now it is kinda late. So I just have to figure out Something easy.

I could go down there a give it a bit of wiggle room. But I need to get rid of the downstairs piping. The Kitchen piping of course is at the same spot.

I will find a way. Even if it means getting out a cutting wheel to take out the problem downstairs.

When they cut they siding. They had to use a 4" cutting wheel. Tough stuff.

Old 05-26-2015, 01:59 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 444

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
The box has a Nailing flange. Now it is kinda late. So I just have to figure out Something easy.
No it's not to late, it's a 10 min fix. Make them come back and fix it. They will need 1 extra piece of siding since the top notch won't work once you spin the box.
The Following User Says Thank You to kwikfishron For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (05-26-2015)
Old 05-26-2015, 06:19 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 582

we call that a frost free sill -cock......hydrant, bibb.. that all supply water...
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement