Need A Solution To Poor Water - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes

Old 02-13-2017, 10:13 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 84

Need a solution to poor water

I had my water tested and it came back free of any bacteria or virus.

However I know I have hard water, sulfer, and iron

The issue is the testing doesn't provide the ppm.

The test was done by the county.

I went to Lowes and got a test kit and the results are above the limits of the test kit.

I need to know the ppm of iron as well as the hardness level, I cant find a test kit that will work or a tester.

Can anyone help?

I really need to get this water cleaned up and as it stands the Lowes iron filters and water softners only remove so many ppm's. So if I am sitting at 30ppm iron an iron filter would only remove about 5ppm which is not good enough, I would need 5 units and they are $800 a piece.

There has to be a solution.
pistol22cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2017, 10:38 AM   #2
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 3,914

Re: Need a solution to poor water

Are you willing to pay the CULLIGAN MAN?

ED
de-nagorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2017, 12:52 PM   #3
Water Treatment

Rewards Points: 1,184

It would be good to get a good test of the water, might cost a bit but it would go a long way in figuring out what is going to be needed.
Also finding the flow rate of the well will also go in figuring out what can and can not be used in water treatment.
How long has the well been setting? have you shocked the well?
Akpsdvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2017, 04:40 PM   #4
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 2,072

I agree that paying for a professional water test would be your first step. Try to use an independent lab and not the services of a company that sells treatment equipment. If your mineralization is high, any solution may well be costly.
lenaitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 12:53 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akpsdvan View Post
It would be good to get a good test of the water, might cost a bit but it would go a long way in figuring out what is going to be needed.
Also finding the flow rate of the well will also go in figuring out what can and can not be used in water treatment.
How long has the well been setting? have you shocked the well?
The home sat for 5 years with no use of the well.
The previous owners said they never used the well at all for 10 years.

So, we we bought the house we put in a new well pump.

The well is 350Ft. with about 320 feet of water.

The pump is 1hp submerged pump 18GPM flow.

The well has been in constant use for the past year.

Well was shocked on installation of new pump.
Old 02-14-2017, 06:35 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,054

Some well water is not worth trying to use, unless that's your only option. For example Florida has some horrible ground water that requires both activated charcoal and salt treatment and is still not normal smelling in my opinion. The high salt levels in the treated well water makes it unfit to drink and rusts out water heaters in a few years. A charcoal cylinder is around $1000 and drinking water is $0.25 a gallon from the water machine at the store. The salt bin has to be kept filled with rock salt. Too bad catchment is illegal in many places. Sometimes trying to be cheap is not worth the cost.
clarenceboddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 06:42 PM   #7
Water Treatment

Have you run the well at max flow for 48 hours straight?
The septic is how close to the well?
When you shocked the well, how long did it soak?
How much did you use to shock the well?
Old 02-15-2017, 04:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Have you run the well at max flow for 48 hours straight?
The septic is how close to the well?
When you shocked the well, how long did it soak?
How much did you use to shock the well?
The well has been in service for 13 months solid.

The septic is about 300ft from the well

The well was shocked with 1 gallon of bleach and half a gallon of peroxide and let sit for 2 days before usage and was flushed for until no bleach smell was present.

I had tests done today

Iron is 4ppm
Magnesium is 1.8ppm
Hardness is high
Old 02-15-2017, 07:31 PM   #9
Water Treatment

So no hard running for at max gpm for 48 hours , just daily use?
300 foot well and 1gallon of bleach?
might look at trying that again with 1 gallon per 100 feet and about the same with white vinegar and letting that set for 24-36 hours and then run for about 6 hours max gpm to the back 40 where it does not matter where the water goes.
how high is high on the hardness?
an iron filter like an AIO set up would work for the iron and mag and then a softener for the hardness.
The AIO is going to need sizing with the true numbers in gpm that the well can deliver.
NO GUESSING
Old 02-16-2017, 03:49 PM   #10

Quote:
So no hard running for at max gpm for 48 hours , just daily use?
300 foot well and 1gallon of bleach?
might look at trying that again with 1 gallon per 100 feet and about the same with white vinegar and letting that set for 24-36 hours and then run for about 6 hours max gpm to the back 40 where it does not matter where the water goes.
how high is high on the hardness?
an iron filter like an AIO set up would work for the iron and mag and then a softener for the hardness.
The AIO is going to need sizing with the true numbers in gpm that the well can deliver.
NO GUESSING
My well is bacteria and infection free thats been tested 2 days ago by the county water department. Theres no need to do this 48 hours running of the water. Its been in service for over a year with no issues other than the iron really. Hardness is 140 mg/L - We are having a water treatment company do the install and testing of the water softener and iron filters. They said they guarantee clean 100% drinkable water above EPA recommended specs for drinking water. I have that in writing. the quoted a price for the installation and maintenance contract with a lifetime warranty on parts and labor for $3200.
Old 02-16-2017, 06:53 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 648

Well, first, hardness of 140 mg/l is nothing that a water softener couldn't handle with ease. My water is 1041 mg/l and my iron is 1.3. I have a whole house filter for the iron first, and it turns a bright orange. Then the water softener with the iron remover pellets, then I have another whole house filter with a carbon filter. Overall, the water is ok for cooking and cleaning, and I don't mind drinking it, but the wife and kids don't care for it. So we have a reverse osmosis filter under the kitchen counter with a separate faucet for drinking. Definitely less than $3200. You'll have to let us know how the system works for you.
taylorjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 02:20 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorjm View Post
Well, first, hardness of 140 mg/l is nothing that a water softener couldn't handle with ease. My water is 1041 mg/l and my iron is 1.3. I have a whole house filter for the iron first, and it turns a bright orange. Then the water softener with the iron remover pellets, then I have another whole house filter with a carbon filter. Overall, the water is ok for cooking and cleaning, and I don't mind drinking it, but the wife and kids don't care for it. So we have a reverse osmosis filter under the kitchen counter with a separate faucet for drinking. Definitely less than $3200. You'll have to let us know how the system works for you.
So armed with the knowledge about my water quality I did some research.

I found a product and I would like opinions from more qualified folks if it would work for me.

http://www.waterboss.com/watersoftenermodel900.shtml
Old 02-19-2017, 02:33 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 648

I can't tell you about the waterboss, except they are sold at Menards. I have a kenmore, and it works, but not sure how long it will last. It's a couple years old and came with the house when I bought it. I have heard buying from a big box store is bad and not to expect a very long life compared to some better name brands. I can't remember any of those name brands though. I'm not sure I like the idea that it's working with some kind of internal self-cleaning filter. But that's my personal opinion. I use a whole house filter first with a string wound 5 micron sediment filter rated at 10gpm. Then the water softener that is set at 60ppm of hardness. Then through a carbon filter at 25micron and 10gpm. We don't have any iron staining issues and it's soft water because it has that "greasy" feeling in the shower.
taylorjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 02:38 PM   #14
Water Treatment

The one thing that is missing from the specs ... Flow rate both normal and peak flow rate for the 900.

What is it with the unit that has you sold on it?
Old 02-19-2017, 03:10 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 1,870

Quote:
The one thing that is missing from the specs ... Flow rate both normal and peak flow rate for the 900.

What is it with the unit that has you sold on it?
Here is the manual for it. Specs are on page 30.
http://www.waterboss.com/media/WB_So..._v3_Manual.pdf
Oso954 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement