Need To Remove CI Closet Flange - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-15-2016, 02:27 PM   #1
Power Gen/RS Engineer

Rewards Points: 566

Need to Remove CI Closet Flange

Hi all-

I am in the process of renovating (among other things) a bathroom on my first floor. All of the demo is complete and in the attached photos, you can see the cast iron stack as well as a CI closet flange that is tied into it (and some floor and wall framing that lost its fight with a sawzall).

The toilet is being moved elsewhere per the new design to a toilet room and I need to remove the old closet flange back to where it intercepts the stack (the horizontal piping is above the level of the new subfloor). If you look carefully at the first picture, the point at which the stack, vent, sink waste line and closet flange all tie together looks as though it was "made" in the field. Although it may not be obvious from the photo, the last part of the toilet connection to the stack is higher than the new subfloor and must be removed. I'm guessing that the point at which all of these lines converge will need to be rebuilt.

The new toilet room will be located to the left of the first picture. Its waste line will tie into this stack but below in the basement.

Other than cutting CI pipe and replacing a short section with Fernco's and PVC, I have no experience working with it. That being said, I may opt to hire a seasoned plumber to take care of this but I would like to know from the professionals on this site how this should (or could) be done. I'm thinking that one approach might be to cut the stack, vent and waste lines and remove the massive octopus/tie point (making sure that everything is properly supported prior to cutting!). Then I'm thinking that, with the right combination of PVC fittings, I could rebuild the network of connections and add in the connection for the toilet.

I'd like to hear what you experienced guys and gals think! Thanks in advance!

J
Attached Thumbnails
Need to Remove CI Closet Flange-1st-bath-plumb1.jpg   Need to Remove CI Closet Flange-1st-bath-plumb2.jpg   Need to Remove CI Closet Flange-1st-bath-plumb3.jpg  
Advertisement