Need Product To Repair Acrylic Bathtub Crack - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By jaes
  • 1 Post By de-nagorg

Old 03-14-2018, 12:27 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 147

Need product to repair acrylic bathtub crack

20 years ago, I installed a tub/shower combo ("Sterling" company unit). I believe it's an acrylic (maybe fiberglass) unit, Aprox. 10 years ago, a 3" long crack developed in tub floor (water leaked). Back then, I found something? to smear over the crack --after it set, I sanded the product down and spray painted it with high quality paint. The repair turned-out great! Repair is barely noticeable. PROBLEM #1: Today, another crack developed (only 2" long this time and some distance from the great repair). PROBLEM #2: I forgot what I used 10 years ago, to fix the first crack!
A discussion of how the cracks developed (poor instillation) would not be helpful. Also suggesting that I put in a new tub/surround would not be helpful ---especially since I know that the proper repair approach worked out great. What would be helpful, is suggestions as to what product I should use to repair this crack ---please give very specific brand names of product so I can easily find it. ----Thanks for any help. ---Jaes.
jaes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2018, 01:26 AM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 15,210

Re: Need product to repair acrylic bathtub crack

Maybe
https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.1...saAtpfEALw_wcB

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.1...0aAhSxEALw_wcB
https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.1...MaAr13EALw_wcB
Nealtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2018, 02:27 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 147

Nealtw: Thanks so much for rapid response! That fast responses allows me to go to HD as soon as they open, buy the product ("J-B Waterweld"), and start on the repair immediately after the tenant takes a shower. ---I though it might require a 24 hr. complete cure time, so I wanted to have it done before his shower time, tomorrow ---but it looks like the product cures much faster. So, again, thanks for the rapid response! Nealtw, you are the man! ---Jaes.
Nealtw likes this.
jaes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2018, 07:11 AM   #4
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 3,790

My belief in the crack developing .

Most of those acrylic / fiberglass tubs have a liner of Styrofoam as the base material supporting them.

This Styrofoam deteriorates over time, and the support is gone, then a weak area gets weight on it from the user, it cracks.

I have tried a few fiberglass patch kits, that cracked again soon, So I recommend replacement.

Try the J-B weld stuff and let us know how it holds up, I too would like to know.

ED
joecaption likes this.
de-nagorg is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement