Need New Toilet! - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree3Likes

Old 11-20-2016, 02:30 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,081

Need new toilet!

I have an American Standard toilet (see photo below). I bought it like 13 years ago. The reason I chose it is that I'm a big guy (6 feet tall, 250 lbs). I felt that this toilet was right for me in terms of size.

However, I've had real problems with this toilet. You have to hold the handle down for it to flush. Also, it usually does not flush on the first try in the morning. It's usually the second flush that does the trick.

Does anyone know of a better toilet brand or model?

Any feedback will be highly appreciated!

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Need new toilet!-toilet5.jpg  
stripedbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2016, 03:47 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 18,794

Re: Need new toilet!

New issue or have it always not worked right?
Most often if it's a new issue it has nothing to do with the toilet it's self.
Plugged drain, clogged vent, clogged up holes in the bowl from mineral build up, tank not fully filling because of an issue with the fill valve.
All simple fixes.
Ed911 (11-28-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2016, 04:00 PM   #3
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 1,770

Sounds like the tank might be slowly drain down overnight so there isn't enough water for your morning ablutions on the first flush. Not really first-thing-in-the-morning fun stuff, but take a look at the water level first to see if it is low. It might be something as simple as a new flapper valve or even just cleaning of it.

Unless the problem is with the porcelain casting, toilets are mostly a collection of easily replaceable parts.
joecaption likes this.
lenaitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2016, 10:27 PM   #4

This is my toilet model:

http://products.unbeatablesale.comhttp://products.unbeatablesale.com/american_standard_3264016_020_standard_elongated_t oilet_bowl_with_seat_white_1017156246.php

I tried calling American Standard. But they did not have the toilet seat.

I even have the part number for the toilet seat:

But where can I find it?

If anyone knows, I'll really appreciate it.
Old 11-22-2016, 01:01 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 6,684

Quote:
But where can I find it?
http://www.terapeak.com/worth/standa.../321841923033/
hkstroud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 09:35 AM   #6

hkstroud & others,

Thank you very much for your feedback.

Let me explain how things worked out in terms of the toilet seat. A Good Samaritan informed me that I do not necessarily have to get a seat from American Standard. The main important thing is that it should be elongated. Most of these seats have roughly the same dimensions. And the mounting hardware is spaced out in a standard distance. The same applies to round toilet seats. I did not know this!

As a result, my choices increased dramatically. For instance, I have always wanted a slow close seat.

I took the measurements of my toilet seat then searched for one that came closest in size. Some elongated seats may be half an inch to an inch bigger than your present seat. But the difference is not dramatic.

I ended up ordering this one from Home Depot:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Delta-Wyc...word=811901-wh

There are many other choices on Amazon and eBay.

I'm sharing this info in case it's of help to anyone else.

Again, thanks for your help, folks.
dd57chevy likes this.
Old 11-23-2016, 02:43 PM   #7

Congratulations. Now show us the inside of the tank and lets see if we can figure out the flushing problem.
Old 11-27-2016, 01:38 PM   #8

hkstroud,

You are right.

Even thought I'm still very excited that I can get a toilet seat for my toilet, I still need to figure out why it has a very weak flush.

One thing I want to get out of the way immediately, is the question of whether the water level in the tank is low in the morning. The answer is a definite no.

Please let me know what I can explain about my toilet to try to solve its problem of not being able to have a strong flush, especially when I make a big deposit, as opposed to just pissing (if you know what I mean).

Anyway, below are two photos of the inside of the tank.
Attached Thumbnails
Need new toilet!-toilet2.jpg   Need new toilet!-toilet4.jpg  
Old 11-27-2016, 02:28 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 5,624

It's 13 years old and if not already done so, try cleaning the holes beneath the rim. I use a coping saw blade on the pull stroke. It's a difficult and boring job but someone has gotta do it.

Also be certain the flapper chain is adjusted for maximum lift but still have a little slack when closed.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 05:16 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 242

Here's my guess. The flapper valve looks like it's opening like it should...sitting up high enough to allow for a full flush cycle.

So, I have this question. When you flush, does the water rise up in your toilet bowl? If so, you have a slow drain...call a plumber and have him clean out the line.

If you have more than one toilet in your home...flush both and compare the drain cycle...what happens after the flush is initiated.

Todays toilets, for the most part, use siphon jet technology to flush.

Cleaning the holes under the rim will do very little for the flush cycle. Those holes are bowl cleaners and have very little effect on modern toilet flushing. The holes run water over the sides of your bowl to wash away splatter. And, from your pictures, it doesn't loook like you would have a scale buildup. Your tank looks pretty good...no scale...so no issue with your rim openings.

The reason that your toilet most likely has to be double flushed only in the morning is because it's trying to flush the biggest load of the day.

Like I said...just my guess.

Last edited by Ed911; 11-28-2016 at 05:32 AM.
Ed911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 05:21 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 5,624

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed911 View Post
Here's my guess. The flapper valve looks like it's opening like it should...sitting up high enough to allow for a full flush cycle.

So, I have this question. When you flush, does the water rise up in your toilet bowl? If so, you have a slow drain...call a plumber and have him clean out the line.

Cleaning the holes under the rim will do very little for the flush cycle. Those holes are bowl cleaners and have very little effect on modern toilet flushing. The holes run water over the sides of your bowl to wash away splatter. And, from your pictures, it doesn't loook like you would have a scale buildup. Your tank looks pretty good.

The reason that your toilet most likely has to be double flushed only in the morning is because it's trying to flush the biggest load of the day.

Like I said...just my guess.
Not all toilets have a siphon jet. How do those get water into the bowl?
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 06:49 AM   #12

Water level appears to be about 1" below the overflow pipe. That is the correct water level. Please confirm that.

In the photo, there appears to be something white where the red circle is drawn. Is there? Perhaps it is just a reflection in the photo.

Does water flow out the black tube where I have drawn the red arrow?

You said you have to hold the handle down to get a good flush. Is this just in the morning or each time you flush? Has the toilet always acted this way or is this something that has developed over time?

When you do a normal flush, not when you hold the handle down, how much water remains in the tank when the flapper closes?

At Home Depot you can purchase flappers with a float that keeps the flapper open longer.

If the tank is not being emptied completely,

Turn of the water to the toilet. Remove the flapper and take to Home Depot and see if you can find of the same size and style with a float.
Attached Images

Last edited by hkstroud; 11-28-2016 at 06:55 AM.
Old 11-28-2016, 07:35 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 262

I can't tell by the pics. What's the flapper connected to. Normally it hinges off of the fill tube. When you flush, the flapper probably isn't opening high enough before it closes.
Old 11-28-2016, 04:29 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 242

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeniorSitizen View Post
Not all toilets have a siphon jet. How do those get water into the bowl?
It's not necessary to use siphon jet technology...some toilets only use rim water...like some Kohler brand units for instance. I misstated the contribution rim water can make in some units. My oops. I have a rather new...purchased in 2014 American Standard that flushes anything...and it uses very little rim water...and yet...one of the best flushing units that I've used...

Ed
Ed911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 05:23 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 3,220

Quote:
Originally Posted by djlandkpl View Post
I can't tell by the pics. What's the flapper connected to. Normally it hinges off of the fill tube. When you flush, the flapper probably isn't opening high enough before it closes.
Agree with dj. The picture is deceiving but the flapper dog ears look like they are not connected to the bottom of the fill tube hinges like they should be.
jmon is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement