Need Help Replacing This Valve - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Display Modes
Old 08-01-2016, 07:43 PM   #1
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 82
Rewards Points: 99

Need help replacing this valve

Hi, this valve diverts drinking water away from my softener. It is leaking and needs to be replaced. I have very little plumbing experience. My questions are:

1. Is there a specific name for this valve?

2. How easy will it be to replace? Any issues I should be aware of?
Attached Thumbnails
Need help replacing this valve-20160801_191746-1_1470098611641.jpg  
19mquinn79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-2016, 08:48 PM   #2
Usually Confused
lenaitch's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Central Ontario, Canada
Posts: 6,129
Rewards Points: 1,818

Re: Need help replacing this valve

It's called a 'saddle valve' and by the rust it looks like it or something nearby has been leaking for a while.

I've never had any problems with them but many pros and diy'ers don't like them and would recommend plumbing in a regular tee and valve. If you do choose to replace it with a similar valve, you're going to have clean off all that corrosion on the pipe down to shiny metal where the valve seats using emory sandpaper, otherwise it will probably leak again. Also, don't be surprised if you have to cut off the old valve because of the rust.

It should be fairly easy to replace since the hole in the supply line is already there. follow the instructions that come with the new valve and/or check the Internet. Obviously, you have to turn off the water first (either whole house or to that line if you have line shut-offs) and expect to get some residual water out of the hole when you pull off the old valve.
lenaitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-2016, 08:49 PM   #3
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 12,341
Rewards Points: 5,682

Re: Need help replacing this valve

The bolts on that one will probably need to be cut to remove it. I would replace the pipe in that area with a T and install a ball valve for the water supply.
Attached Images
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Replacing a water valve in oil heating system ManofWires15 HVAC 15 01-14-2016 05:17 AM
Replacing motorized valve daconic Plumbing 1 12-19-2012 04:09 PM
Replacing shutoff valve undersink bketros Plumbing 1 03-16-2012 02:52 PM
Best 1/2 inch water shut off valve. Nestor_Kelebay Plumbing 10 07-25-2008 11:16 AM
Need help replacing shower diverter valve magnolia Plumbing 9 07-12-2008 09:54 PM

Top of Page | View New Posts