Need Help Removing Old Shutoff Valves So I Can Put New Ones On - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes
Old 12-02-2015, 02:08 PM   #1
Rav
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Bethesda, MD
Posts: 633
Rewards Points: 892
Default

Need help removing old shutoff valves so I can put new ones on


The two old shutoff valves to my washing machine are completely frozen and I want to replace them with 1/4 turn valves. I want to make sure I understand what's currently there and what I need to do before I start. See attached pics.

1. I assume that what I'm calling the "elbow nut" is integral to the elbow, and doesn't turn independently from the elbow, and is just there to be able to put a wrench on it to prevent twisting of the pipe and joints when I remove the valve. Correct?

2. What I'm calling the "valve nut" appears to be integral to the valve, and doesn't turn independently from the valve, and is just there to be able to put a wrench on it to turn the valve. Correct?

3. I can see threads between the elbow nut and the valve nut on the cold water valve, but not the hot. Are the threads that are visible on the cold water valve part of the valve, and so do those threads screw out of the elbow nut? Or are they part of the elbow nut, and the valve screws onto those threads?

4. Given that my assumptions above are correct, I plan to put a wrench on the valve nut and turn counter-clockwise, while holding onto the elbow nut with another wrench. I may use some penetrating oil first to loosen it up.

5. I'd appreciate suggestions for a new valve that will thread onto the existing elbow on one end and be able to attach the washing machine hose at the other.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Need help removing old shutoff valves so I can put new ones on-overview.jpg   Need help removing old shutoff valves so I can put new ones on-hot.jpg   Need help removing old shutoff valves so I can put new ones on-cold.jpg  
Rav is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-02-2015, 02:22 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hartfield VA
Posts: 36,810
Rewards Points: 18,762
Default


I do not think it's a union elbow (as opposed to a nut elbow)
That hex is just to put a wrench on while tightning up the other fittings.
If that was mine I'd getting rid of that style valve and replacing with ball valves, a street elbow then male garden hose connectors.
A street elbow in just one with male fittings on one end and female on the other.
Use all brass fitting if you do not want rusting issues, cost far more but well worth it.
__________________
When posting in forums, letting us know your location will help others give better feedback/advice/solutions to your questions
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-02-2015, 02:27 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Central Kentucky
Posts: 4,191
Rewards Points: 8,299
Default


Can't be positive both are the same valve but they look like it. One (no visible threads) was over tightened with the wrong wrench.

Water off, a big adjustable wrench for the elbow fitting and a pipe wrench for the faucets combined with pipe dope and two of these http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-...53EB/205822362 should solve your problems.
__________________
Colbyt
Retired drapery and home furnishings installer.
Fact: World-wide 96.5% of Covid-19 victims fully recover
Colbyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-02-2015, 02:30 PM   #4
Rav
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Bethesda, MD
Posts: 633
Rewards Points: 892
Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
I do not think it's a union elbow (as opposed to a nut elbow)
That hex is just to put a wrench on while tightning up the other fittings.
If that was mine I'd getting rid of that style valve and replacing with ball valves, a street elbow then male garden hose connectors.
A street elbow in just one with male fittings on one end and female on the other.
Use all brass fitting if you do not want rusting issues, cost far more but well worth it.
Thanks, Joe. Are you saying get rid of the existing elbow (and elbow nut) and replace it with a street elbow? If so, then it looks like that would involve sweating on the new elbow onto the copper pipe, and I'm not able to do that. Or are you saying the street elbow attaches to the outlet of the ball valve, and if so, why would that be needed?
Rav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 02:36 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hartfield VA
Posts: 36,810
Rewards Points: 18,762
Default


No the old valves just unscrew, you can not see the threads because of all the corrosion on the close nipples.
You want the street elbows so the fittings will be facing down , not straight out.
__________________
When posting in forums, letting us know your location will help others give better feedback/advice/solutions to your questions
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 02:39 PM   #6
Rav
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Bethesda, MD
Posts: 633
Rewards Points: 892
Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by Colbyt View Post
Can't be positive both are the same valve but they look like it. One (no visible threads) was over tightened with the wrong wrench.

Water off, a big adjustable wrench for the elbow fitting and a pipe wrench for the faucets combined with pipe dope and two of these http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-...53EB/205822362 should solve your problems.
Thanks, Colbyt. I assume the adjustable wrench is just to hold onto the elbow fitting, not turn it in any way. And the pipe wrench instead of an adjustable wrench is for removing the faucets because the over-tightened nut is stripped?
Rav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 02:42 PM   #7
Rav
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Bethesda, MD
Posts: 633
Rewards Points: 892
Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
No the old valves just unscrew, you can not see the threads because of all the corrosion on the close nipples.
You want the street elbows so the fittings will be facing down , not straight out.
OK, thanks Joe, understood (though it looks like the faucets that colbyt linked to would face down by themselves).
Rav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 02:43 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hartfield VA
Posts: 36,810
Rewards Points: 18,762
Default


That boiler drain would be a better way if those nipples unscrew.
Got a 50/50 chance of that happening.
__________________
When posting in forums, letting us know your location will help others give better feedback/advice/solutions to your questions
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 03:50 PM   #9
Rav
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Bethesda, MD
Posts: 633
Rewards Points: 892
Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
That boiler drain would be a better way if those nipples unscrew.
Got a 50/50 chance of that happening.
If I understand correctly, there's a small nipple (a "close" nipple, one with no unthreaded area) between the elbow nut and the valve nut. And again if I understand correctly, that nipple should screw out of both the elbow nut and the valve nut. When you say there's a 50/50 chance of that happening, do you mean because it may be so frozen tight in there? If I use penetrating oil and a 1/2" internal pipe wrench, do I have a better chance? THEN, assuming I get the nipple out, I assume the MIP threads on the valve that Colbyt recommended take the place of the nipple? Thanks much for your help.
Rav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 04:44 PM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hartfield VA
Posts: 36,810
Rewards Points: 18,762
Default


If the nipple does not come out just use a female boiler drain instead of a male would be the easiest way.
__________________
When posting in forums, letting us know your location will help others give better feedback/advice/solutions to your questions
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
Rav (12-02-2015)
Old 12-02-2015, 09:36 PM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Ohio
Posts: 5,653
Rewards Points: 1,852
Default


Make sure you backup the 90 on the wall. Try unscrewing the boiler drains first after shutting off the house water and draining out as much as you can. If they do not unscrew easily try tightening them a bit then unscrew them it's an old plumbing trick.

Looks like 1/2 inch pipe thread.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ghostmaker For This Useful Post:
Rav (12-02-2015)
Old 12-03-2015, 06:57 AM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Central Kentucky
Posts: 4,191
Rewards Points: 8,299
Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by Rav View Post
Thanks, Colbyt. I assume the adjustable wrench is just to hold onto the elbow fitting, not turn it in any way. And the pipe wrench instead of an adjustable wrench is for removing the faucets because the over-tightened nut is stripped?

Yes to both.
__________________
Colbyt
Retired drapery and home furnishings installer.
Fact: World-wide 96.5% of Covid-19 victims fully recover
Colbyt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Colbyt For This Useful Post:
Rav (12-03-2015)
Old 12-03-2015, 07:46 AM   #13
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 5,773
Rewards Points: 1,250
Default


I'd start with the packing nut. That is the nut closest to the handle. If you can loosen it just a little (with the water off), you may be able to turn the handle. Then turn the nut, turn the handle, repeat until the valve stem is turning freely. Older valves had the stem and the washer that would come out for replacing the washer. But the washer seat, screw, and the valve seat probably are damaged from corrosion and it is best to replace the whole valve. If the water shuts off, you can try repacking the packing nut with graphite or taflon cord, or just tighten the packing nut. If just tightening the packing nut, I don't torque the handle all the way to the on or off position. Leave it little loose from the on position then tighten the packing nut.
Check the youtube. Probably there is a video of it.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to carpdad For This Useful Post:
Rav (12-03-2015)
Old 12-03-2015, 04:41 PM   #14
Rav
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Bethesda, MD
Posts: 633
Rewards Points: 892
Default

Still trying to loosen valve


OP here. I was able to remove the valve stem, but had no luck finding replacement parts (I went to a plumbing supply store). So I'm still trying to remove the entire valve. I cleaned the connection up and sprayed on Kroil penetrating oil, and tapped on it a few times. After an hour, it still won't budge. I've attached two more pictures. It looks to me like it may not be a nipple between the elbow and the valve, but that the valve has male threads built into it. In other words, it's the valve that is screwed into the elbow. Does it look that way to people here? I'm going to try letting it sit overnight marinating in the Kroil.
Attached Thumbnails
Need help removing old shutoff valves so I can put new ones on-cimg5977.jpg   Need help removing old shutoff valves so I can put new ones on-cimg5979.jpg  

Last edited by Rav; 12-03-2015 at 05:01 PM.
Rav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 05:09 PM   #15
A "Handy Husband"
 
rjniles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: South Carolina Low Country
Posts: 11,072
Rewards Points: 796
Default


I agree, the valve has a male thread. Use a wrench to hold the elbow. Another in the valve and put some beef into it.
__________________
My electrical answers are based on 2017 NEC, you may have local amendments.

Location: Coastal South Carolina
rjniles is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rjniles For This Useful Post:
Rav (12-03-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Do I need to install a shutoff valve on wall mounted sink? Pictures attached kalamajo Plumbing 13 07-12-2014 10:12 PM
Rebuild old water shutoff valves bryanp22 Plumbing 11 04-23-2014 10:20 PM
Capping bathroom sink shut off valves. nowwhatnapster Plumbing 10 04-01-2013 12:17 PM
Replace sink shutoff valves? Compression? noone Plumbing 9 11-17-2011 06:46 PM
Stop valves in bathroom while drywalling StevePax Plumbing 11 01-17-2010 05:52 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts