Need Help With Main Supply Repipe And Greenhouse Supply - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-07-2017, 10:51 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 8

Need Help with Main Supply Repipe and Greenhouse Supply

Hello y'all,

Hoping some of you generous experts can help me double check my thinking on a planned DIY plumbing job. Forgive my wordiness.

I was under my house (two story Colonial near Richmond, VA) recently, checking out my plumbing in advance of a greenhouse build and discovered to my dismay that my main supply coming from the street connection/meter is a long line of flexible blue Qest polybutylene. Since my house is now pushing 40 years old, this has me concerned. We had a copper wall pipe near an exterior spigot burst last winter (while we were home, thankfully) and it wasn't fun to fix or clean up. Can't imagine the cost and headache if my whole crawlspace floods when we're not at home...

Estimates to replace the supply line are in the multiple thousands and we just don't have that right now. First guy I called said to forget it and wait until it fails. Not loving that logic, but maybe I'm being too cautious?

So, anyway, I'm hoping to kill two birds and save a ton of money by digging the trench myself and replacing the supply line and running pipe to my greenhouse at the same time. The existing piping is pretty odd -- it runs from street supply all the way to the back of my house, under my den, connects to copper and then runs back to middle of house for various bathroom/kitchen runs. Best guess is the original plumber thought supply would come from the back, before development was finished. Who knows?

Planning to take advantage of this by using that section of copper to get me halfway to the greenhouse once I connect supply line in a more sensible spot, but being a complete amateur I would love some oversight from the pros. Please see below for proposed before and after. Bountiful thanks for any and all advice offered.

Last edited by MichaelB.; 09-07-2017 at 10:59 AM.
MichaelB. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2017, 10:56 AM   #2

Re: Need Help with Main Supply Repipe and Greenhouse Supply

Before.

After.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2017, 05:35 PM   #3
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 1,312

Quote:
and discovered to my dismay that my main supply coming from the street connection/meter is a long line of flexible blue Qest polybutylene.
Planning to take advantage of this by using that section of copper to get me halfway to the greenhouse once I connect supply line in a more sensible spot,
Ayuh,.... I ain't a Plumber, but I believe you'll find it's gonna come down to the diameter of the copper pipin',....
Bondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2017, 08:13 AM   #4

So, beyond the coupling details, no issue?

I had one plumbing company representative come to generate a quote for replacing the main supply, and when I showed her this diagram, and explained what I was thinking of doing, she said I couldn't change the point where the main supply connected. I pressed her for an explanation and she said "something about pressure."

Can any actual plumbers clarify?
Old 09-09-2017, 03:06 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,952

Is the pipe size different where your connecting the water main? Say 1/2 inch? If so the plumber is correct.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 05:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostmaker View Post
Is the pipe size different where your connecting the water main? Say 1/2 inch? If so the plumber is correct.
As far as I can tell, both pipes (where it connects now, and where I want to connect it) are both 3/4 ". (OD is a hair under .9 as measured with a caliper. )
Old 09-10-2017, 10:19 PM   #7
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 2,100

I'd be interested to hear pro comment on this as well. If the main plumbing runs are 3/4" I can't a reason why you couldn't use a closer connection point unless there is some municipal rule that interferes.
lenaitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 05:34 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,952

Contact your water supplier. My local one makes up rules on the fly.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement