Need Help Identifying And Replacing A Sillcock - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-09-2016, 03:21 PM   #1
Rav

Rewards Points: 892

Need help identifying and replacing a sillcock

I have a badly leaking outside quarter-turn sillcock. See pictures. I can't tell who the manufacturer is, though there is an imprint on the side that looks like the letter M with a triangle above it. Can anyone identify the manufacturer?

Are the valve innards accessible somehow through the stem where the handle attaches? I have a feeling not, since that portion of the body points upwards. So do I need to turn the entire valve assembly off, right where the flange meets the wall? It looks like an integral nut for a wrench there. Since it's cemented to the wall I guess I'd need to crack that open, turn the valve off, replace the valve, then re-cement it.

Does this sound right? Any advice? Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Need help identifying and replacing a sillcock-img_0829.jpg   Need help identifying and replacing a sillcock-img_0830.jpg  
Attached Images

Rav is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2016, 05:50 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 18,760

Re: Need help identifying and replacing a sillcock

In your area that should have been a freeze proof valve, which yours is not, that whole thing should be replaced.
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2016, 07:09 PM   #3
Rav

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
In your area that should have been a freeze proof valve, which yours is not, that whole thing should be replaced.
Thanks, that's good to know and I will do that, but can anyone identify the manufacturer, and verify that the way I described how to remove it is correct?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2016, 07:20 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 3,202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rav View Post
I have a badly leaking outside quarter-turn sillcock. See pictures. I can't tell who the manufacturer is, though there is an imprint on the side that looks like the letter M with a triangle above it. Can anyone identify the manufacturer?

Are the valve innards accessible somehow through the stem where the handle attaches? I have a feeling not, since that portion of the body points upwards. So do I need to turn the entire valve assembly off, right where the flange meets the wall? It looks like an integral nut for a wrench there. Since it's cemented to the wall I guess I'd need to crack that open, turn the valve off, replace the valve, then re-cement it.

Does this sound right? Any advice? Thanks.
I don't know the manufacture, but it's really not important, they sell new ones or rebuild kits for them at any big box, local plumbing supply, or local hardware stores.

As for removing the old one, and replacing with a new one, check inside and see how its plumbed first. Threaded or soldered. Some pictures of the set-up on the inside would help. Thank you.
jmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 07:42 PM   #5
Rav

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmon View Post
I don't know the manufacture, but it's really not important, they sell new ones or rebuild kits for them at any big box, local plumbing supply, or local hardware stores.

As for removing the old one, and replacing with a new one, check inside and see how its plumbed first. Threaded or soldered. Some pictures of the set-up on the inside would help. Thank you.
Here's a picture on the inside. Unfortunately, whatever is going on is hidden behind that wall. I'd have to open up the cement sealing on the outside to get a look inside to know more. I might be able to contact the person who did the work originally and ask him, if he happens to remember.
Attached Thumbnails
Need help identifying and replacing a sillcock-img_2258.jpg  
Old 11-09-2016, 08:05 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 3,202

Thanks for the pic rav.

I agree with you rav, It doesn't look like its accessible for a rebuild kit.

Your theory sounds correct. By looking at that concrete mortar patch, It looks like it was replaced before.

You could also replumb it with a new frost free sillcock using solderless sharkbtye fittings. Really wouldn't be that much more work.
jmon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jmon For This Useful Post:
Rav (11-09-2016)
Old 11-09-2016, 08:38 PM   #7
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 1,714

That looks like a stone foundation and probably predates any plumbing at all let alone frost-free. Up here, even houses built in the 50s and 60s didn't use frost-free, just regular sillcocks and inside shut-offs with drain nipples.

If you are going to replace it - and you probably should - remember to follow the directions. They need to be angled down slightly so they will self-drain.
lenaitch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lenaitch For This Useful Post:
Rav (11-09-2016)
Old 11-10-2016, 01:30 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 38

That is a Mueller valve. Commonly sold at Home Depot. Replace the entire valve.
SHR Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SHR Plumber For This Useful Post:
Rav (11-10-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement