Need Help Finding Fitting For Under-sink RO/DI - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-28-2015, 09:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 442
Question

Need help finding fitting for under-sink RO/DI

Need help finding the proper plumbing adapter. On the right is a 1/2" female to 1/2" male inline fitting with 1/4" female "T" with a 1/4" ball valve screwed in. This ball valve supplies water to my RO/DI water filtration system. In my previous house, the sink used 1/2" water connections so it was easy to insert this adapter in-line. But the new house uses smaller connections as you can see on the left. I think these are 1/4"? Maybe 3/8"? I don't know what the standard is.

Regardless, I need figure out how to get the filter set up with this smaller water connector. These are the two options I figure:

1. Get an adapter to go from "small" to 1/2", connect existing adapter, then another adapter to go from the 1/2" back to the small size.

2. Get the same piece as shown on the right, but in the small size in stead of 1/2", with a 1/4" female "T" to screw in the ball valve. I like this option better b/c fewer connections means fewer points of failure.

Anyone know what the "small" size actually is and where to purchase whatever I need?

clawlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2015, 09:16 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 18,808

Change the main line shut off valve you have not to one with two shut offs and then connect that red line directly to valve.
That other valve you have is not needed.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/BrassCraf...X-R1/202047047
clawlan (11-28-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2015, 09:23 PM   #3

Ah, wasn't even thinking in this direction. This would definitely be the most robust method.

I assume I am going to have to turn off the main water supply in order to replace that. I have never done that before and not sure where that shutoff would be... The house is about 15 years old.

Now that I think about it though, it might be nice to have the ability to shut off the RO/DI separately?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2015, 11:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Change the main line shut off valve you have not to one with two shut offs and then connect that red line directly to valve.
That other valve you have is not needed.
Will the red line fit on the 3/8" connector on that valve you linked? The existing ball valve that the red line is connected to says "1/4".
Old 11-28-2015, 11:34 PM   #5

This might be a good option if I want to retain the ability to shut the sink and RO/DI off independently. Price is a bit crazy though. I am going to have to check it out in the store to make sure that the small plastic line that goes to the RO/DI fits in that 3/8" compressing fitting though.

http://goo.gl/TlBWm9
Old 11-30-2015, 08:30 AM   #6

Stopped at Home Depot and they had exactly what I needed. Same valve joecaption linked to but instead of two 3/8" outlets, it has one 3/8" and one 1/4".

I just ordered a new set of filters for the system which should be here later this week,. Once those arrive, I'll get everything installed.

Thanks all for the help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement