Navien Combi Unit Vent - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-14-2017, 07:42 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 56

Navien Combi Unit Vent

So I recently had a navien combi unit (NBC-250e) installed which replaced my old water heater and boiler. Everything has been working just fine, but I was hoping someone might be able to put my mind to ease.

When the plumber was done, I noticed that he ran the exhaust vent (which is pvc) up the chimney where the old boiler vented. He also cut a hole in the chimney cap and ran the pvc pipe through the center so that it sticks about 6" out through the top of it. I had 2 questions for him...

1) is it ok that he cut through the chimney cap and stuck the pipe out the top?

2) does the pvc coming out the chimney need any kind of cap? Seems strange to me that rain could just go right down the pipe.

His answer to both was it's fine.

I could be wrong, and maybe since there is already condensation leaving the vent from the unit itself it's fine if rain gets in. But to me it seems wrong. Any insight?
Handyman25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2017, 10:45 AM   #2
Breakin' Stuff

Rewards Points: 1,374

Re: Navien Combi Unit Vent

Don't about about #1 but #2 it would be better to have a non vertical opening on the vent. I downloaded the IOM manual, found HERE, and page 47 shows a tee vent termination. So it doesn't explicitly say it, but implies it. It's not a concentric vent, is it?
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2017, 11:06 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 18

not apples to apples, but the radon vent I had installed in Green Bay was done with 4" pvc pipe. straight shot up the garage wall into the rafters from the bsement, fan installed in rafters, then straight shot thru the roof with no angle to keep water from coming down. 4 years later fan was still running good even though some major rain storms and 4 winters in the frozen tundra. always figured the fan would short out but never did.
pinksurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2017, 01:01 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bret86844 View Post
Don't about about #1 but #2 it would be better to have a non vertical opening on the vent. I downloaded the IOM manual, found HERE, and page 47 shows a tee vent termination. So it doesn't explicitly say it, but implies it. It's not a concentric vent, is it?
Yea, I took a look at the manual as well and saw the same thing. As for the concentric vent, I have no idea. Not even sure what the means.

Do you think it'd be worth it to get a second opinion? I don't want to second guess the plumber. He said he was certified specifically for Navien. I just want to make sure it's going to last.
Handyman25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 04:08 PM   #5
Breakin' Stuff

Rewards Points: 1,374

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handyman25 View Post
As for the concentric vent, I have no idea. Not even sure what the means.

Do you think it'd be worth it to get a second opinion? I don't want to second guess the plumber. He said he was certified specifically for Navien. I just want to make sure it's going to last.
Concentric vent is when the intake and exhaust are combined at the outlet. There is a little picture of this in the manual as well.

It couldn't hurt to get a second opinion. It shouldn't be hard at all the install the T at the end. I think it's one of those things where it may be better to have the T, but could be just fine if it's never installed. I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it.
Old 06-15-2017, 05:49 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,938

Was the unit inspected by your local plumbing authority?
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 06:05 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,938

I would be more concerned about the rain water coming back down that vent. That is why you need a tee and it must be 12 inches above any obstruction. (Chimney)

Also check to see that solid core piping was used on the exhaust vent. PVC White pipe
ASTM D 1785 Or ASTM D 2665 will be stamped on the side. Also no more then 6 - 2 inch 90 bends allowed.

As for the Chimney cap that he ripped off say hello to gods critters moving in that Chimney.

Check for a plumbing permit and not impressed with ripping off the Chimney cap.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement