My Toilet Tank Isn't Filing, Any Advice? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-08-2017, 09:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 16

My toilet tank isn't filing, any advice?

My house is about 25 years old and the other day my toilet tank was filling so slowly that it was hard to notice the water level rising in the tank after watching for 30-60 seconds. I believe I accurately checked to be sure the plug (don't know the technical term) covered the hole (again, not sure what it's called but I'm talking about the opening which feeds water from the tank to the toilet bowl) .... and it did. I checked to make sure I could manually lift the plastic portion (again, term?!) which automatically shuts off the water when it's raised .... again it worked normally. And then, when I wanted to be sure water was getting access to the tank, I discovered something very interesting:
When I close the valve completely (in the picture attached) and then open it, I can hear the water rushing into the tank and it fills as quickly as normal. But after just a single flush, it's back to being super slow again. If I close and open the valve, the water quickly rushes into the tank, and the cycle repeats. To be clear, I'm not keeping the valve closed with each flush, it's open, but I have to close and then open each time to get water to flow quickly into the tank.

No other toilet has this problem and this toilet is on the main floor. Alll the opening at closing of the valve creates a drop or two of water to come from this valve each time I do it, but there aren't any other drips, only when I close it and open it up to get water flowing fast and then dripping stops (I checked overnight with paper under). This might be normal for the opening & closing but I'm including all info i have.

Any ideas what could be causing this problem?

Thank you in advance for helping
Attached Thumbnails
My toilet tank isn't filing, any advice?-image_1507515540752.jpg  
Want2Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2017, 09:30 PM   #2
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 3,790

Re: My toilet tank isn't filing, any advice?

Yep; your valve is full of sediment / buildup.

Replace it.

Shut off main supply, remove and replace valve with a quality BALL valve.

ED
de-nagorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2017, 09:35 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by de-nagorg View Post
Yep; your valve is full of sediment / buildup.

Replace it.

Shut off main supply, remove and replace valve with a quality BALL valve.

ED
Thank you for such a quick reply. Is there any special terms or names I need to look for when searching for this new valve? I will look something up on YouTube to be sure but I gather from your short message that (making sure I shut off the water) this isn't too complex of a fix, am I right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2017, 10:05 PM   #4
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 3,790

Correct, it's one of the simplest replacements.

The hard part is getting the correct size valve for your particular application.

Usually best for a novice to remove the old, take it to a plumbing supply and get a proper replacement.

I recommend a BALL VALVE, because they are faster to shut off, never crud-up, like the type you have, and work great.

Shutting off the supply line is necessary, or you have a big mess quickly.

ED
de-nagorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 12:50 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 6,694

Several types of toilet stop valves.
Pull that escutcheon away from the wall and post a photo of yours from the side so we can see which kind you have.

Last edited by hkstroud; 10-09-2017 at 12:57 AM.
hkstroud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 07:19 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 18,964

You need what's called a right angle FPT, (female pipe thread) 1/4 turn stop.
Hard to tell from the picture what size pipe you have coming out of the wall but it will be one of two sizes, 3/8 or 1/2 most likely.
http://products.anssteel.com/viewite...rd-steel-pipe?
Old 10-09-2017, 04:19 PM   #7
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 3,490

What Joe was describing. http://www.homedepot.com/p/BrassCraf...X-C1/202047053
Old 10-16-2017, 11:06 AM   #8

I went to Home Depot and their plumber onsite suggested I need to replace the pipe (in the green box - image included) and the toilet fill valve, inside the tank. He did not suggest the valve as being an issue. I'm sure I gave him more information than I did in this message but do people agree or do you still think the ball valve replacement is needed? For an extra $8, I don't mind doing it all now if it's needed.....I'm sure it's not all that much more work.

Also in the picture I'm using the purple arrow to point a nut. If I close the valve in the picture, can I loosen/remove that nut without having to shut off the main water valve to the house?
Thank you all
Attached Thumbnails
My toilet tank isn't filing, any advice?-img_5018_1508170183168.png  

Last edited by Want2Learn; 10-16-2017 at 11:09 AM.
Old 10-16-2017, 11:49 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 624

Yes. Assuming the valve is functioning. I assume the guy at HD sold you a braided line. After you connect the new line to the supply, get a bucket and flush the line before reconnecting to the new fill tower.

By the way, there is no reason not to replace that valve. Its a five minute job even for someone of my limited intelligence.

Last edited by ZTMAN; 10-16-2017 at 11:57 AM.
ZTMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 11:56 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZTMAN View Post
Yes. Assuming the valve is functioning. I assume the guy at HD sold you a braided line. After you connect the new line to the supply, get a bucket and flush the line before reconnecting to the new fill tower.
Correct. That is exactly what I purchased.

How do I flush it? Into the tank? Or do I flush into a bucket before connecting it to the tank?

Does it sound like the man at HD made a correct assessment for me? Or is it suspected that the valve also needs to be replaced? Thank you
Old 10-16-2017, 11:56 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 3,430

You can try that. See if that makes a difference.

No need to turn off water to house as long as supply line is closed. Flush toilet remove all water in tank and replace supply line. I use flexible ss line.

Going forward, if you do replace valve with a quarter turn ball valve, then you will have to turn water off to house unless there is another shut off further down line.
jmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 11:59 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 3,430

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2Learn View Post
Correct. That is exactly what I purchased.

How do I flush it? Into the tank? Or do I flush into a bucket before connecting it to the tank?

Does it sound like the man at HD made a correct assessment for me? Or is it suspected that the valve also needs to be replaced? Thank you
As the zman said. Hold supply line into bucket, turn on valve and flush/check pressure.
jmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 12:40 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 264

While you're at it, you might want to replace the fill valve inside the tank, depending on how old it is. If you're already replacing the shutoff valve and supply line, now would be a good time to replace that as well.

After replacing the solid supply line with braided hose, I've had many occasion where I've placed the hose in a bucket prior to attaching it to the fill valve and turned it on, only to have small pebbles come out! It's important you do that.

John
kerryman71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement