My PEX Repipe Project - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-17-2015, 01:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 102

My PEX repipe project

Hello gentlemen (and Ladies if there are any on here), I'm going to be embarking on a repipe of my 1960s built 2800 sqft one story home's galvanized pipes in the up coming weeks. We have been in it for about 4 months and have had a leak at a copper to Galvy with a dielectric union repair done by the previous owner over the master lavs. The owner before that had a leak repaired over the kitchen, but not sure what was done. I stop-gapped it with some of the that pipe wrap that is similar to the stuff you use to make casts with.

I figure I would post all my questions and show my progress in one thread.

I'd appreciate all the help I can get.

So the meter size is 5/8th and copper to the building at the front left corner. The copper service goes into a bib and then into the house. Please see the attached JPEG, sorry about the rendering.

So the first question is to manifold or not? The service comes in from the left front corner and the water heater is in the back right of the house. I could Tee off the 3/4" cold trunk after it comes in from front the left corner and run one cold trunk to supply the left side and one to supply the right side with 1/2" drops and water heater with 3/4". I could do the same for the hot water with 3/4" trunk and 1/2" drops or I could home run the hot water. Not sure where I would place the manifold. Maybe 3/4" into the attic and put the manifold there and run the 1/2" to each fixture. The wife and kids complain about it taking so long for hot water. Will blow in lots of insulation after the repipe is done. Thanks and keep checking back.
Tally Wacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2015, 01:20 PM   #2

Here is the drawing:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2015, 06:02 PM   #3
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 1,228

Ayuh,..... I don't see where ya need a manifold,....

Run 3/4" or 1", 'n "T" off wherever ya got an appliance,...

The real Plumber guys can tell ya more 'bout the home run or not,...
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2015, 07:22 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 582

Iam not big fan of the manifold set up... I would 3/4 main trunks with 1/2 branches to each fixture if possible ..if not ...try not to exceed 2 fixtures on a 1/2 line...same with hot side..3/4 inlet and outlet on water heater....if hot water is taking to long to get to the fixture...you could run a hot line return or install a circulator on hot side...
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ben's plumbing For This Useful Post:
Tally Wacher (11-17-2015)
Old 11-17-2015, 08:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben's plumbing View Post
Iam not big fan of the manifold set up... I would 3/4 main trunks with 1/2 branches to each fixture if possible ..if not ...try not to exceed 2 fixtures on a 1/2 line...same with hot side..3/4 inlet and outlet on water heater....if hot water is taking to long to get to the fixture...you could run a hot line return or install a circulator on hot side...
Thanks for taking the time to comment. For the cold water I would just trunk and branch it like it is now. In the summer the cold water is very hot, so I'd insulate the cold lines to help with this and condensation. Would blowing in about 2-3 feet of insulation after repipe is done save me the effort and expense of insulating the pex lines?

My daughter complains that it takes 4 minutes to get hot water for a shower and that is not even the furthest fixture from the WH. I thought that a home run would be the solution. What do you see are the issues with home run?

Another option would be to use sub manifolds, run the 3/4" hot into the attic and Tee it off to supply a 3 valve manifold to the kitchen sink/DW, WM, and half bath lav on the right side of the house. The other Tee would travel to the other side of the house 3/4" and go to a 6 valve manifold to supply the hot water needs of the bathrooms. I could run a hot line return from this manifold.

I could trunk and branch it with a return line to a recirc pump at the WH and Tee it back into the cold water supply to the WH. I have an old under the the lav recirc pump I bought from costco, could that be used at the WH? I'd have to put in an outlet next to the WH then.

Last edited by Tally Wacher; 11-17-2015 at 09:00 PM.
Old 11-18-2015, 08:32 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 510

What type of pex connections are you using? Copper ring, expansion?

Bathroom demo started Feb 2013: View my bathroom progression!!!
Trucon01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 08:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucon01 View Post
What type of pex connections are you using? Copper ring, expansion?
I'll be using the expansion, just got my Milwaukee M12 tool in yesterday.
Old 11-18-2015, 09:00 PM   #8

Nice. I used the same. I loved that tool, although expensive. Well worth the money.

Just follow the cleaning instructions. When it gets dirty inside, it starts clicking and stops movement.

Did you go with plastic or lead free brass fittings?

Old 11-18-2015, 09:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Nice. I used the same. I loved that tool, although expensive. Well worth the money.

Just follow the cleaning instructions. When it gets dirty inside, it starts clicking and stops movement.

Did you go with plastic or lead free brass fittings?
I'm going to sell it on ebay after the repipe is over and hopefully recoup most of my money.

I'm going to try to stick with the plastic fittings as much as I can.

Can you tell me more about your foray into pex?
Old 11-18-2015, 09:21 PM   #10

Sure. I repiped almost the whole house while rebuilding my basement. Now that I'm redoing a hall bath, I replaced with all pex there too. After I cut out all the copper, I think I got over 200 bucks from the scrap yard. I didn't do home runs, but a 3/4 trunk with 1/2 branches. I also used the black plastic fittings, with all brass full port valves. I got all my stuff on pex supply and the pex was Pex-A. Which I believe is the only pex you can use for expansion... What else would you like to know? FYI, not one leak!!

Old 11-18-2015, 10:20 PM   #11

Quote:
Sure. I repiped almost the whole house while rebuilding my basement. Now that I'm redoing a hall bath, I replaced with all pex there too. After I cut out all the copper, I think I got over 200 bucks from the scrap yard. I didn't do home runs, but a 3/4 trunk with 1/2 branches. I also used the black plastic fittings, with all brass full port valves. I got all my stuff on pex supply and the pex was Pex-A. Which I believe is the only pex you can use for expansion... What else would you like to know? FYI, not one leak!!
My issue since I'm on a slab is running the pex in the walls. I'm going to have major problems on the fixtures located on the exterior walls as the pitch of the roof is low and there will be very little room to drip the top plate to run the lines from the attic. I may have to leave some verticals galvy due to poor access or not wanting to ruin built ins and kitchen shelves ans such. I do have one of these babies: http://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-Ri...RA50/203867866
Sponsored Links
Advertisement