My Aqua PEX Re-plumb - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By chandler48
  • 1 Post By TheEplumber
  • 1 Post By OverEngineer*48
  • 1 Post By OverEngineer*48

Old 03-17-2018, 07:28 PM   #1
Member SE TX.

Rewards Points: 76

My Aqua PEX re-plumb

Well folks, I have finally got my hot water PEX pulled and the connections done in the attic. I going to do the first tie in at the far end of the run which is my shower and sink then start using it. I've done all of the expansions before that point. Question is, After I make that last expansion at the shower, how long of a wait period should I do before pressurizing the line? I know not to do it right away but not sure if I should wait 24 hrs or so. Also, If I have no leaks at my fittings can I be comfortable that they won't pop a leak anytime soon. Sorry for the paranoia but this is my first PEX project> Thanks for any help y'all can provide. Frank
OverEngineer*48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2018, 07:42 PM   #2
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 3,532

Re: My Aqua PEX re-plumb

PEX is good to go after you release your compression tool. No need to "wait". What is an "expansion"? Where are you located? I question water lines in an attic in a cold climate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2018, 08:07 PM   #3
Plumber

Rewards Points: 250

I'd wait just a few minutes. But if that makes you uncomfortable, go longer
Did you check with Wirsbo website? I assume thats your brand.
OverEngineer*48 likes this.
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2018, 09:32 PM   #4
Member SE TX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
I'd wait just a few minutes. But if that makes you uncomfortable, go longer
Did you check with Wirsbo website? I assume that's your brand.
Thanks The Eplumber. I downloaded Uponor's Pro install manual but it makes no reference to wait time. Our temps have been in the upper 70s and lower 80's so I'm assuming it shouldn't take long for the expansion to shrink onto the fitting tight enough. Won't need the hot water until in the evening so I hope a few hours is enough time. Once I get the farthest point tied in and the old copper abandoned, I will start prepping the other two bathrooms and kitchen. They will all go to a 4 port manifold in attic so I can tie them all in at one time. I guess I've got "Did I do this right?" fears since this is a first for me. Thanks for the info.
TheEplumber likes this.

Last edited by OverEngineer*48; 03-17-2018 at 09:39 PM.
Old 03-17-2018, 09:38 PM   #5
Member SE TX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandler48 View Post
PEX is good to go after you release your compression tool. No need to "wait". What is an "expansion"? Where are you located? I question water lines in an attic in a cold climate.
I'm installing the Uponor/Wirsbo Expansion PEX that requires PEX-A and special expansion fittings. It's a little pricier than the PEX-B that uses the crimp method but it is supposed to be the best of the two. It's been pressure tested to 1200 psi and freeze tested below zero for twenty hour with no failure. The tool for installing is a little pricey though if you want to use the cordless expander. With the manual expander you just about have to have three hands and I decided that wasn't going to work for this old man in tight attic spaces.
chandler48 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement