Moving Toilet Location, Change Of Drain Plumbing? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-21-2015, 02:20 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 6,988

Moving toilet location, change of drain plumbing?

How do you plumbers handle this situation? Let's say you want to move a toilet in your bathroom 6 feet farther away from where it connects to the main drain pipe. Unless you want to do some bigger drain plumbing work, that location is sort of set in stone. So now you're going to need a larger total drop in the pipe, and that means the pipe is going to have to move up closer to the floor as the toilet moves farther away. Is there usually enough wiggle room in the toilet drain installation for this to happen easily? Assume easy access, such as over a crawl space.
jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2015, 03:39 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 5,348

Plumbing codes require the toilet needs to be within a certain distance to the stack pipe for the reasons you stated. I believe 6 feet is too far away.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2015, 05:25 PM   #3

So what you're saying is, when I said "Unless you want to do some bigger drain plumbing work", it would probably actually require that work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2015, 07:12 PM   #4
Plumber

Rewards Points: 248

UPC code- a toilet arms maximum length from the vent is 6' for 3" pipe
4" toilet arm is 10' per UPC. Which size do you have?
I believe IPC is even longer on the lengths- Ghost or Ben would know that answer.

But, if you're extending 6' you would need 1.5" of additional grade @ 1/4" per lf. (1/8' will work on 4") The only way to confirm is you have that is to visually inspect it.

There are some ways to compensate for a tight make up- or lack of grade- first and easiest way is to try a street 90 into the hub
Old 10-21-2015, 09:58 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,932

Under IPC there is no limit to the vent for a toilet. A toilet is resistant to siphoning because it is a self filling fixture. That being said I would need a drawing of what actually exist to help farther.

906.1 Distance of trap from vent. Each fixture trap shall have a protecting vent located so that the slope and the developed length in the fixture drain from the trap weir to the vent fitting are within the requirements set forth in Table 906.1.
Exception: The developed length of the fixture drain from the trap weir to the vent fitting for self-siphoning fixtures, such as water closets, shall not be limited in individual vent, common vent, and wet vent systems.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 12:10 AM   #6

I don't have the particulars down yet, I'm just spitballing. There is certain plumbing I'll do, and certain plumbing I won't do. If I'm in doubt about whether to mess with the connection at the vent, then it's time to call in the licensed plumber.
Old 10-22-2015, 07:19 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,932

Keep in mind that NC is an IPC code state.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement