Moving Toilet Drain And Connecting A Shower - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Ghostmaker
  • 1 Post By miamicuse

Old 08-18-2016, 02:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 6

Moving Toilet drain and connecting a Shower

Making the most of space. Removed Tub. Now wanting to move Toilet drain to where tub was and add a shower drain basically where toilet was. See picture. Initially, I thought I could just install a 3"X3"X2" Y and 3"X2" reducer to 2"X1.5"X2" T for vent to 2" P-trap for shower. Picture sorta shows fittings layout as suggested short of showing vent T.
Will this work? My concern is tying into the waste leg of the toilet. The 3" vent stack in within a foot left of the Y in the picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Moving Toilet drain and connecting a Shower-001.jpg  
Stew160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2016, 02:29 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,848

Re: Moving Toilet drain and connecting a Shower

you need to add a vent on that shower. It must go straight up vertical.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ghostmaker For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (08-18-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2016, 03:15 PM   #3

Thanks, I will.
What is your thoughts on where the y is connected to the toilet drain leg? i worry how close each are.
I really have little options to separate them. this seemed simple.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2016, 05:33 PM   #4
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

Ghost is a master plumber and a plumbing inspector---I hope he looks back in for you.

We have several plumbers here--be patient--Mike---
Stew160 (08-18-2016)
Old 08-18-2016, 09:10 PM   #5

Without knowing the size of your shower all I can give you is the minimal distance requirements for a rough in. A toilet should be 15 " from center to the shower wall or other fixture side to side that means a 30 " space. More is better. I always roughed my toilets in at 13" from center to the back wall. 12 " is minimal unless you buy a special rough in toilet.

Where you have the toilet is no matter the vent you are adding on the shower is venting both fixtures. I would suggest a sink to wash ones hands after wiping ones butt.
jeffmattero76 likes this.

Last edited by Ghostmaker; 08-18-2016 at 09:22 PM.
Old 08-19-2016, 07:12 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 18

Sorry to jump in on someone else's thread but I have a question that has been nagging me. I do minor plumbing in my rentals so i have some knowledge but not a lot. In every house I have ever rehabbed in my area (suburban Philadelphia) i have never seen a vent as described many times on these message boards. Around here, the tub/shower, toilet and lav sink all have drain lines that dump into a 4" vertical cast iron stack that serves as the drain and the upper end of this stack hoes through the roof to provide venting. I believe there are code limitations on how far each fixture can be from that stack. Can someone educate me on why our way here is so different from what i see posted on these boards?

Sent from my LG-D415 using Tapatalk
jeffmattero76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 08:43 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,946

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmattero76 View Post
Sorry to jump in on someone else's thread but I have a question that has been nagging me. I do minor plumbing in my rentals so i have some knowledge but not a lot. In every house I have ever rehabbed in my area (suburban Philadelphia) i have never seen a vent as described many times on these message boards. Around here, the tub/shower, toilet and lav sink all have drain lines that dump into a 4" vertical cast iron stack that serves as the drain and the upper end of this stack hoes through the roof to provide venting. I believe there are code limitations on how far each fixture can be from that stack. Can someone educate me on why our way here is so different from what i see posted on these boards?

What you have is a single vent with different "trap arms" stacked. There is a maximum distance on how long the trap arm can be. In general, you need the waste water to be flowing without the air sealed off at the point where the sanitary tee connection is. That means it is a combination of length, slope and pipe size. Imagine a 5' long trap arm, at a 1/4" per foot slope, if you have water draining at the fixture, 5' downstream where it connects to the vent, the water level would be 1/4" per foot by 5' or 1.25" from the bottom of that pipe. If that pipe is 1.5" in diameter, and the distance is 6', you are now 1.5" above the bottom of the pipe, enough to create an air seal. You can go longer by increasing the pipe sizes. Or you have to go shorter if your slope is > 1/4" per foot. Of course these pipe ID are not exactly 1.25", 1.5", 3" either these are nominal diameters but you get the idea behind the distance rules. Also there are code that govern what order these sanitary tees are to be stacked, such as a major fixture cannot be draining OVER a minor fixture, which means your lav drain should tie in at a higher point then a toilet.

Personally I prefer to use one vent for an entire bath group and wet vent all the fixtures through the lav vent. It is less excavation and it also has the added benefit of rinsing part of your toilet line when you wash your hands and take a shower.
jeffmattero76 likes this.
miamicuse is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to miamicuse For This Useful Post:
Javiles (08-21-2016), jeffmattero76 (08-19-2016)
Old 08-19-2016, 04:29 PM   #8

Your talking about the Philadelphia stack vent. It just got approved to the Ohio plumbing code, but I'll be honest it doesn't make sense to this plumber. It basically throws away all the venting rules.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ghostmaker For This Useful Post:
Javiles (08-21-2016)
Old 08-19-2016, 05:00 PM   #9
Plumber

Rewards Points: 162

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmattero76 View Post

This is quite common here too. We are limited to 4- 1 or 2 DFU fixtures on a vertical wet vent.
But this is just one of several methods to vent fixtures. To the best of my knowledge, UPC has only allowed horizontal wet venting as shown above for the last couple of code cycles
Old 08-22-2016, 07:22 PM   #10

Thanks Ghostmaker for the reply. I am good on distances. I was just concerned on how close the shower and toilet drains tie-in together. From what I gather this is not a problem. As far as a Lav that is out of picture. Thanks again.
Old 08-23-2016, 04:17 PM   #11

That's cool. As you know air moves quicker then water thats why the trap will not get pulled.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
shower drain , toilet drain.