Moving Sink Plumbing And Vent. - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-29-2016, 08:28 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 14

Moving sink plumbing and vent.

I am trying to move a drain from front of counter to back and vent it. The counter will have no back and just open to living room so I didn't go straight up as I would have to take vent horizontal under counter and I have read a lot of places that is not to code. What I attempted is to route drain from concrete to wall and from there just do a normal sani tee. Come off that to trap, 3ft away. And go straight up through ceiling for a roof vent. Thoughts?

pomaikai is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-29-2016, 08:48 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 114

Depending on the plumbing code in your area, 90 deg fittings aren't allowed to be used in drainage (only in very few places) only venting. If i where you come up straight, install your drain, than a 2" cleanout, than install your vent. Bring the vent above the flood level rim ( above the highest point of the sink) than bring it over horizontal to the vent to tie it in.
Chrisathome is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-29-2016, 10:13 PM   #3

All of the 90s I used are from dwv and either a straight dwv 90 which is not as sharp a turn or a sweeping 90. I can bring the drain up to the bottom of the counter, but I don't have a good way to bring it up above the sink with our current design. I have a support column that I would have to loop around above the counter which would look bad, even if I boxed it in and made it decorative.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-29-2016, 10:19 PM   #4

Here is the 90 I used to connect to drain in floor and to turn up to vertical.

http://m.homedepot.com/p/2-in-PVC-DW...-100343360-_-N

The other ones I used to turn while horizontal are the sweeping elbows which has a larger radius then the above elbow.
Old 03-01-2016, 08:01 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,220

WTF is that mess??
WhatRnsdownhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 08:03 AM   #6

why dont you just turn the 90 at the back of the cabinet up, put a ty on it for the drain then a 90 ontop of the ty to go right for the vent, instead of that zig zag mess of piping?
Old 03-01-2016, 08:22 AM   #7

Just because that would not meet code because you can only take a vent horizontal 6" above the sink rim. This way seems to meet code even though other way would be my preferred route as well. I am tossed up which is why I am asking. Horizontal is allowed under special circumstances as long as you use standard drainage fittings for anything below 6" above sink rim. More of a case by case basis.
Old 03-01-2016, 08:27 AM   #8

I will do that, the plumbing is behind counter so if I need to switch it when I sell house I can without to much work. I will take it right below counter top and then go horizontal with drainage connections, not vent elbows.
Old 03-01-2016, 05:49 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 582

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatRnsdownhill View Post
WTF is that mess??
yep what he said ..:vs_no_n o_no:
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 06:07 PM   #10
Plumber

Rewards Points: 182

Quote:
Originally Posted by pomaikai View Post
Just because that would not meet code because you can only take a vent horizontal 6" above the sink rim. This way seems to meet code even though other way would be my preferred route as well. I am tossed up which is why I am asking. Horizontal is allowed under special circumstances as long as you use standard drainage fittings for anything below 6" above sink rim. More of a case by case basis.
By strict code interpretation- you are correct. But, in this case run up under the counter top, then go horizontal to your vert. vent- slope the vent 1/4"/ft back to the sink (add a clean out under the sink)
What your proposing is how I rough in kit. sinks under windows all the time- never tagged for it
ben's plumbing (03-01-2016), WhatRnsdownhill (03-01-2016)
Old 03-01-2016, 09:04 PM   #11

Quote:
LOL..your worried about code with that????? wouldnt pass in a second...as explained above, with a single fixture you can offset vent horizontally as long as any other fixture ties in above the flood rim..
Old 03-01-2016, 09:13 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
Quote:
By strict code interpretation- you are correct. But, in this case run up under the counter top, then go horizontal to your vert. vent- slope the vent 1/4"/ft back to the sink (add a clean out under the sink)
What your proposing is how I rough in kit. sinks under windows all the time- never tagged for it
Thanks, I switched it over to go straight to back of cabinet, then straight up and take vent of to the side right under countertop. All horizontals keep a 1/4 per foot slope. I hadn't glued anything yet. I have only had a few things inspected for this remodel so wasn't sure how strict they were on plumbing code usually. They seem to be somewhat lax where here. Just don't do something obviously out of code
Sponsored Links
Advertisement