Moving A Bathroom - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-11-2016, 01:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 20

Moving a bathroom

Hello good people. I am planning on some extensive remodeling on my new place and I'm losing confidence. Help. Me. I have a 'study in the middle of the home that 'could' easily be converted into a bedroom. But I also have a bathroom in this house that should be where a bedroom is in my opinion. That said, I would like to swap locations. Framing, electrical and basic plumbing repairs are not my problem. My fear is the venting and waste.

the home is a slab on grade 1947 wood frame. I figure the waste is cast and in the yard to the alley behind the home is orangeburg (if that's the right spelling I only know this because I helped my grandpa replace his sewer with the same setup).
The waste goes from the existing bathroom (that I would like to relocate and omit) which is in the front of the house to the yard, then alley. Since the location of the new bathroom is in the middle, how do I omit the existing venting and waste drains in the front of the house?

Any direction would be greatly appreciated. Heck, even a book suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
idontlikespam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2016, 09:06 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,036

Re: Moving a bathroom

You should try posting this in the plumbing section. You have a very complex problem and i havnt done plumbing for a long time but there are a lot of factors that can determine if this is affordable for you or not.
Mingledtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2016, 10:19 PM   #3
Plumber

Rewards Points: 164

Re: Moving a bathroom

Moved to plumbing-
Can you do a little sketch of your layout? It would make it much easier to grasp your plan.
You have an extensive project ahead of you. Somethings to think about-
If your not sure of the underslab layout, you could put a camera down the toilet flange and locate the building drain layout. Then it's a matter of slab cutting for your new pipe layout.
The existing lines could possibly be cut off at floor line and the plugged with concrete.
The vent could be extended over in the attic to your new bathrm.
Will you run out of grade when you move pipes?
There are several possibilities but more info is needed.

I suppose you know that your burg pipe is a ticking time bomb for failure? That could run into the $1000's to replace
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2016, 01:46 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 20

Thanks for your reply. I know burg well. I was living with my grandparents during high school when their pipe failed. Came home and had to spend the next week digging in calegy. Aka the devil. I own a motorhome so if it does fail before this winter when I plan to replace it I'm good. BTW I live in Phx area so winter is outside work time.

I ended up borrowing a metal detector and found the locations of the cast iron. I've begun drawing out where my new lines will go to the stack. I'm glad I can just cut the old pipe and fill with concrete. Thanks again.
idontlikespam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement