Mole For A Water Main Connection? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-06-2015, 12:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 142

Mole for a water main connection?

We are finally getting a town water main put on our street, and It might be nice to hook up. Tho our well is just fine and satisfactory.

The problem is that the forthcoming main will not go up our road, but a dirt road beside our property, and its about 100 feet away.

And we would have to move a lot of landscaping, an electric dog fence, and our stockade spruce fencing, which is covered with beautiful ivy and clematis vines.
Would be a total mess of our yard to do this project.

So Grandma came up with an idea,,,,,last year the gas company put a gas main down our street so we hooked up. And they used a MOLE to get from the street junction to our house. about 40 feet, took them 15 minutes. Fascinating to watch, and it worked perfectly, as we are built on sand, yeah, Cape Cod is mostly all sand.

But nobody at all around here has a mole which could do this. Ive searched and called every plumber in New England.

Any ideas on how to do this project without destroying our yard, the water pipes around here have to be 5 feet deep, though the frost never gets that deep.
lilly8843 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2015, 12:47 PM   #2
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 5,246

The mole you refer to is one type of machine in a class known as "trenchless digging". There are a variety of devices used to do what you want, however I do not know of any company that rents them. You may need to hire a company that specializes in trenchless digging.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2015, 02:51 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 31,946

I never heard the term 'mole'. Try searching for the term 'directional boring'. They will be a specialized company not a plumber. You need one hole at each end of the bore.
joed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2015, 07:36 PM   #4

Will do!
Thank you, as that word MOLE was used by the gas company and some people I know in Seattle.
I hear they are very expensive machines, no wonder the gas company has them and local small companies dont.
If you have rocks in your area, you get bounce-off/ricochet action like a bullet hitting a rock, and the tip goes haywire and can end up in a total different direction than your house. I knew that from the gas guys.
They had some funny stories actually about that.
Old 10-06-2015, 08:28 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 31,946

Sounds like a mole might be a directional boring machine.
joed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 07:59 AM   #6

Using your new words for searches, I found some fascinating information and videos. But its all way way too large, expensive, and beyond the scope of our plan.

Its just the small mole that we need, and Ive come up pretty much blank for around here.
The gas company had the little one, and looks like they are the only company in New England with one. Though I would imagine the cable company and the electric company would have one.

I will keep looking, as this is rather fun to research stuff like this.

Now that I think of it, the new electric cable from our town, Falmouth, used a huge one to get/replace the cable over to Martha's Vineyard under the ocean. Actually I have some pictures of them doing this, tho we couldn't get very close to the machine.
Ah, found it, much better pictures than mine.
http://capeandislands.org/post/tunne...d-30-feet-time
Old 10-07-2015, 08:21 AM   #7
Plumber

Rewards Points: 250

About 10 years ago the plumbing shop I worked at rented a missile from a local branch of a nation wide heavy equipment rental yard. We used it for 4" pipe.

One of our local electrical contractors does directional bores often. Check with contractors in your area.
Old 10-07-2015, 08:31 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,336

Make sure everything underground is located and marked real well if you have this done.

Verizon was running new fiber lines underground in my brothers neighborhood a couple of years ago. The were directional boring to install the cable, pretty large at about 2.5-3" dia. Anyway the evening after they went past my brothers house his sewer line backed up. He called a plumber out and he ran a camera down the line. Yep, drilled right thru the center of it. A call to verizon did not result in much action at first. They said it would be a couple of days to get someone to look at it and it would cost him to have it removed. His comment was, my pipe was there first so I will have the plumber head back to his shop and get his root cutter and clear the line. Verizon had someone there in 15 min. They dug the area, had the plumber cut the sewer line and repair it and they routed the fiber line over the repaired section.
danpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 10:00 AM   #9

I found that this mole thing would be very expensive, but I will keep looking. New England is very rocky. Cape Cod is a big moraine, so its very rocky in places w. huge boulders. Actually our house is on sand, as we are near the beach, but only 3 roads over from us, there are huge rocks deposited by the glacier, so I can see why nobody in this area does this. My husband tried to put a shallow well down just like ours at a house about quarter mile from us, no deal, rocky.

I love your story about the sewer line!
I did something similar, near our camp in Maine, there was a HUGE pine tree hanging over the road and wires. And the neighbor had called CMP many times, its private property, so they ignored him. I called and told CMP that my husband was in his 70s and was planning the next morning to cut that tree down, yes indeed, the CMP bucket truck was there at crack of dawn!
Old 10-07-2015, 12:01 PM   #10

Just talked with the guys installing the pipe down our road, and the guy who runs the big digging machine told me that they/ the water dept/ has a mole. But they won't use it for anything but their own work, they will not do a main-to-house project. Even tho I offered them money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement