Moen Shower Faucet--Turns Off Only When Tear Drop Not Fully Turned Off - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TheEplumber

Old 06-27-2016, 02:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 34

Moen Shower Faucet--Turns Off Only When Tear Drop Not Fully Turned Off

The other day, my shower head started a considerable leak after I got done with a shower. There was no lead-up to this leak. Just started that minute. If I held the tear drop to fully off, it would stop leaking. If I let go, it would leak again.

I have a Moen single pole shower faucet, probably #1222.

I replaced all the O rings (three on center piece and one on the cartridge cover) and relubricated. The shower head was water tight when I was done.

The next day, I used the shower. The handle moved so smoothly, much more than previously. Very nice. When I went to turn off, it leaked quite considerably. If I turn the tear drop to not completely off, it will not leak at all.

I remembered, then, when I pulled the cartridge out of the wall, the piece with the notch on the brass, that is to line up perfectly under the HC tab on the cartridge cover, was a tad offset.

What is going on? Should I just leave the repair as not turning the tear drop to fully off to make the water off, or should I fix? Was the offset brass notched item the key to this issue? Do I offset turning the brass part left or right, if that is the fix? I don't remember what it was when I disassembled.

Thanks.
AlpineB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2016, 03:11 PM   #2
Plumber

Rewards Points: 168

Re: Moen Shower Faucet--Turns Off Only When Tear Drop Not Fully Turned Off

The best fix is to call Moen and request a replacement cartridge. They should give you one at no charge. The problem probably inside the cartridge.

If you inserted the cartridge and the keeper pin completely seated through the holes- then the tab probably has no bearing on your problem
jeffmattero76 likes this.
AlpineB (06-27-2016), jeffmattero76 (06-28-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
leaky shower head , moen #1222 cartridge , moen cartridge , moen shower faucet