Mickey Mouse Job Under My Sink! - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-29-2010, 05:42 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Mickey Mouse job under my sink!

ugg.... somehow this got by us when we moved into the house.. how I have no idea....
If you look closely.. the P-trap is flexible and the bottom of the disposal does not line up with the main drain at the wall.

The drain at the wall is a 45 angle where the flexible P-trap is basically just stuck in the hole. I have no idea how that got by me.. but beside the point. I need to fix it because when the disposal runs, it backs up into the cabinet. Nice right?!

Im trying to figure out if there is anyway *not* to cut into the back of the cabinet. If I had to cut into the cabinet, i guess I could cut the pipe and lower the drain in/outlet to even with the disposal, then simple put the correct p-trap on it fit to spec.

Anyone have ideas on how to re-plumb this?

Thanks all!
Attached Thumbnails
Mickey Mouse job under my sink!-2010-09-29-15.12.02.jpg  
tomme12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2010, 06:04 PM   #2
Chicago, IL

Rewards Points: 500

Very common problem when a disposal is retro-fitted to a sink/drain not designed to accept one, you will need to relocate the tee in the wall connecting the trap arm to the vertical pipe in the wall low enough to meet the disposal manufacturer's trap installation requirements (for one thing, the current design will result in standing water and rust-out at the bottom of the disposal).

Here's a typical example:

While you are at it, IMO the ideal installation for a single bowel sink w/ a disposal and a dishwasher connection is to install a double wye; one connection accepts the trap arm from a trap for the DW, one the trap arm from the FWG, and the third gets a clean out plug. (Don’t forget that local codes and/or manufacturer’s installation instructions may require a air-gap or high loop on the DW drain line, and that it be properly secured to prevent its being dislodged or damaged).

BTW, what's with the dual hoses? Two dishwashers? Something else?
Home Inspections, Infrared (Thermal Imaging) Leak Identification and Inspection Services, Roof, Attic, Building, Basement and Foundation Moisture Intrusion and Water Leak Inspections, Troubled Building Consultations - Serving Chicago and Suburbs http://paragoninspects.com/

Last edited by Michael Thomas; 09-29-2010 at 06:08 PM.
Michael Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2010, 06:14 PM   #3

Thank you much for the reply. The dishwasher is a the Kenmore Elite Drawer model, so essentially two dishwashers. Works great... we love it.

So from what I can see by your drawing is that the p-trap needs to go straight down from the disposal, then the trap, back up and level with the wall drain.

so basically, we need to cut open the back of cabinet, cut the drain pipe, install a double wye. Attach one to the disposal p-trap line, the other to the dishwasher.

Correct?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2010, 07:05 PM   #4
Owner

Quote:
Im trying to figure out if there is anyway *not* to cut into the back of the cabinet.
If you're completely against cutting into the wall, you would need to eliminate the disposer all together and install a standard basket strainer, tailpiece, p-trap, and trap adapter. That's the simple way.

Otherwise, refer to the directions Michael Thomas posted.
(208) 818-8241
Like us on Facebook!
LateralConcepts is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LateralConcepts For This Useful Post:
MACPLUMB (09-29-2010)
Old 09-30-2010, 09:41 AM   #5
Chicago, IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomme12 View Post
Thank you much for the reply. The dishwasher is a the Kenmore Elite Drawer model, so essentially two dishwashers. Works great... we love it.

So from what I can see by your drawing is that the p-trap needs to go straight down from the disposal, then the trap, back up and level with the wall drain.

so basically, we need to cut open the back of cabinet, cut the drain pipe, install a double wye. Attach one to the disposal p-trap line, the other to the dishwasher.

Correct?
You will also need a P trap on the DW line, this example shows the general concept:

Next time I see a really nice example of two traps and a clean out from a wye, I'll take a pic and add it to this thread for future reference.
Home Inspections, Infrared (Thermal Imaging) Leak Identification and Inspection Services, Roof, Attic, Building, Basement and Foundation Moisture Intrusion and Water Leak Inspections, Troubled Building Consultations - Serving Chicago and Suburbs http://paragoninspects.com/
Michael Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 11:22 AM   #6

Hi Everyone -

Is there a method to "splice" into this drain pipe once I open up the back of the cabinet. Actually, any tips for cutting the back off or just go for it then retrofit a new back on the cabinet? My thought process was to carefully remove the back of the cabinet so that I could somehow "snap" it back in with clips. Once its off, I will have to remove the drywall to get to the pipe.

Cut a section above the 45 angle coming out of the wall and maybe 6-12" below it. Then glue a joiner at the top and bottom, cut pipe to fit, install wye at level.

You can clearly tell Im not a plumber, but Im fairly handy.... just trying to get an idea if I should really attack this or call in someone. If I call in someone.. what could expect for a time frame to have it completed? 3 hours? 5 hours?

Thanks fellas!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement