A Method To Clean Hardened Organic Buildup - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-27-2015, 01:24 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 322

A method to clean hardened organic buildup

Every year or two I need to clean out 2in cast iron kitchen laterals on a couple of homes that are draining poorly due to soap/organic buildup. I know from inspection that simple mechanical snake/garden hose cleanings still leave a 1/4in to 1/2in coating of decades-old hardened crud behind, and I want to clean that out if I can. I have been looking at picking up one of those jetter hose attachments for a 2500psi pressure washer. I know it will clean normal clogs, but what about this hardened stuff? How about repeated applications of enzyme cleaner - will this eventually strip everything or is only for the soft stuff?
tns1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2015, 04:30 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,938

http://www.amazon.com/Bio-clean-Drai.../dp/B001N09KN4

Use this it will not blow holes through the pipe walls.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2015, 03:00 PM   #3

Success

I got some Bio-Clean, and did a 7day treatment in every drain & sink. It sat overnight each time. For the problem line, a 16ft, 2" kitchen lateral, I followed that up with a couple more treatments over the following week. I should mention that this line had never stopped up completely, and the sink always drains fine.

The big test is running laundry, which overwhelms the restricted pipes. For months, the laundry drain cycle had been consistently backing up into the sink for maybe a minute, then draining away. I can gauge how badly the line is getting by seeing how full and how long the backup lasts. I am sorry to say, the enzyme failed completely. There was absolutely no improvement. As I have said, I believe this to be old, hardened crud - possibly mineral deposits, possibly even non-organic material (paint, plaster) flushed down that sink during remodeling efforts. I don't expect an enzyme or liquid cleaner to do much on that.

I purchased a 50ft jetter kit for my pressure washer, and ran it through that lateral a few times. There were definitely a few points of resistance I had to work past. The laundry now drains without any hint of backup. When you are standing at the sink, you can't even hear the gurgling sound that always accompanied the laundry drain cycle. I'll still use the enzyme for maintenance, but for instant gratification the jetter is my new holy grail. Did I mention, ITS A POWER TOOL! Maybe I should print up some "Jetter Man" T-shirts and wander the neighborhood in search of slow drains......or maybe not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2015, 06:35 PM   #4

I would also suggest limiting grease down them pipes. Grease makes white cake.

Old 03-14-2015, 06:45 PM   #5

Given time bio clean will eat it. A lot of time in the above cases. Lots of bio clean...

If you get a chance sometime a camera down that drain would be nice to look for bellys. No water should be standing in a proper drain.
Old 03-15-2015, 10:59 AM   #6

Wow. Can you say 'Cardiac Arrest'? Must be the main line from the KFC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement